Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Which stereo/head unit??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Which stereo/head unit??

Hey guys my Alpine CDA-9883 took a poop the other so I'm looking to get a new stereo. Anybody have a reccomendation for a new head unit?? My requirements are iPod controls, 5+ band EQ, and good sound

Personally, I didn't really care for the Alpine (it was in the car when I bought it). The fact that it just quit working the other day for no apparent reason really makes me want to stay away from Alpines and I also think that a $250 stereo should have more than just a 3-band EQ. It sounds like the internal amp on it gave out cuz I can still get sound through the RCAs going to my sub but I'm not getting any sound through the rest of the speakers, just a quiet pop when I first turn it on. I don't ever blast it and I've never had an aftermarket radio fail like this. Sound quality was decent but overall, for Alpine!

Here's a couple that I'm considering but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

JVC KD-AHD69- Fairly cheap and has an HD tuner built in. I always thought JVCs were just cheap and didn't have good sound but I've heard they've gotten better over the last few years.
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KDAH...9.html?tp=5684

Kenwood KDC-X794 or KDC-X994- From what I can tell, these are pretty much the same stereo but the X994 has a nicer display (not sure if that's worth an extra $100).
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX...4.html?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX...4.html?tp=5684
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Bump
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:19 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian0611
...I also think that a $250 stereo should have more than just a 3-band EQ. It sounds like the internal amp on it gave out cuz I can still get sound through the RCAs going to my sub but I'm not getting any sound through the rest of the speakers, just a quiet pop when I first turn it on.
<grin> How about a +$50K system with no EQ or tone controls at all? Since the RCA outputs work, have you considered just adding a good amplifier?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
<grin> How about a +$50K system with no EQ or tone controls at all? Since the RCA outputs work, have you considered just adding a good amplifier?
Yeah I thought about it but there's not really a whole lot I like about the Alpine and a decent amp will cost me just as much, if not more than a new HU.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:39 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian0611
Yeah I thought about it but there's not really a whole lot I like about the Alpine and a decent amp will cost me just as much, if not more than a new HU.
Good luck.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Good luck.
Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pioneer or Alpine
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got this installed last week and it's awesome. No CD's....USB, AUX, and an SD card slot behind the faceplate. sounds wicked. can even watch movies on the 3" screen Has a lot of config settings and bluetooth well. comes with mic and remote.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...15ed7a0106en02
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I would like to still have the capabilities of playing CDs.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

kenwood or if you want better audio quality eclipse makes super nice units but they arent full of features or cheap. I had a pioneer had a good ipod interface. Also as far as an amp being expensive your wrong hifonics is very good and you can get a fantastic amp for less than 200. http://www.maxxsonics.com/ Ive had the autotek amps and they have never screwed up and where cheap 100 for the speaker amp which i think is 500 watts and 100 for the monoblock 750 i got. Hifonics is the better stuff which i recommend if your worried about audio quality alot better and cheaper than the name brand stuff like kicker and so on. hope that helps you out also all medium to higher grade headunits really are about the same with audio quality just get one with 5v preouts and a nice amp. Dont buy from crutchfield they are really expensive search amazon to get a ruff estimate. Pm me if you got any other questions
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johno
kenwood or if you want better audio quality eclipse makes super nice units but they arent full of features or cheap. I had a pioneer had a good ipod interface. Also as far as an amp being expensive your wrong hifonics is very good and you can get a fantastic amp for less than 200. http://www.maxxsonics.com/ Ive had the autotek amps and they have never screwed up and where cheap 100 for the speaker amp which i think is 500 watts and 100 for the monoblock 750 i got. Hifonics is the better stuff which i recommend if your worried about audio quality alot better and cheaper than the name brand stuff like kicker and so on. hope that helps you out also all medium to higher grade headunits really are about the same with audio quality just get one with 5v preouts and a nice amp. Dont buy from crutchfield they are really expensive search amazon to get a ruff estimate. Pm me if you got any other questions
Thanks for the info. I'm really wanting to get rid of this Alpine deck because on top off the dead amp issue I also don't care for the iPod interface, display, or the 3-band EQ. I hear ya on Crutchfield. I love to use their website for info/reference but I'll probably be buying from E-Bay or Amazon when I finally make a decision.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

You mentioned that you want to retain the ability to play CD's, but I got the Kenwood KIV BT-900, and so far I love it.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
You mentioned that you want to retain the ability to play CD's, but I got the Kenwood KIV BT-900, and so far I love it.
I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should seriously consider Eclipse. They probably have the best sound capabilities with a CD. I"ll never own another brand again.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Pioneer's pretty good. Who listens to CD's these days? lol I modded my oem radio so I can listen to my mp3 with an aux input. Pretty sweet. Only took 5 minutes. Link here if interested: http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...topic=103096.0