Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo + Alarm System = BAD IDEA!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo + Alarm System = BAD IDEA!!!

So, I had an alarm on my Evo for about two years now and ever since I installed it the car has had electrical problems.

It always had start-up problems and most recently the car would shut off or have ****ty idle. I thought it was a tuning issue but everything I did, nothing changed. I even bought a new battery to see if that was the problem, nothing changed. I even got a new starter but never installed it. I had a trip to the dyno this weekend and everything came to a halt when the car shut off in the middle of the dyno pull and even on the highway...this was unacceptable and I had to do something fast. I took it to the place that installed my alarm and had them remove it.

ALL MY PROBLEMS WENT AWAY. The car started on the first try, it didn't shut off, idled perfectly and actually felt like it picked up power. I don't know what it is with Evo's but I feel like the ECU just doesn't like alarm systems and starts acting weird....I've heard this from a lot of people that have had the same experiences. Just throwing it out there as a warning to everyone. I had a Clifford G5 with every single feature, not sure if other alarms have the same problem.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car alarms are so 1995.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aka.ralliart15
So, I had an alarm on my Evo for about two years now and ever since I installed it the car has had electrical problems
problem found
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well theres your problem. You let some retard install it for you...
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm?? Hundreds of thousands of cars use alarms with no problems...an Evo is nothing special. Iv had an alarm on my Evo since I bought it back in 05 with ZERO problems. I have been through 3 alarms all self installed. Only reason you had a problem was because of install error, NOT because the ECU is racist against alarms
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
Umm?? Hundreds of thousands of cars use alarms with no problems...an Evo is nothing special. Iv had an alarm on my Evo since I bought it back in 05 with ZERO problems. I have been through 3 alarms all self installed. Only reason you had a problem was because of install error, NOT because the ECU is racist against alarms
Umm, an Evo is very special
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIII :D
Umm, an Evo is very special

Super evooo
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know where you are hearing that many evo's have bad results wit car alarms, but that is far from true. The problem is you did not have a competent installer on the job and he tapped into your ignition incorrectly causing it to sporadically ground out.

The solution? Don't let a ***tty installer do the job next time.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

I have been installing for over 16 years now and I don't use Clifford, haven't in over a decade. If they are the same way they were back then, which I suspect, they use a normally open relay on the ignition circuit. When that relay starts to fail, which they will, you lose your ignition from the key signal.

One should NEVER interrupt the IGN1 circuit. I don;t even use starter kills anymore with the implementation of immobilizer key.

Bad install, maybe. Bad device is probably the root cause. Don't say evo's can't have alarms. I have done a dozen or so in evos and not one of them has any type of failure, ever
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blkmkIII
problem found
I didn't install it smart a$$...I was just referring to the fact that it was installed. I've talked to two people, one Evo 8 and one 9....both had it installed at different places than I did. I guess no one in South FL knows how to install alarm systems. The first time I heard of it was from Cwill when he worked at AWD, they had a ton of problems with Shawn@AWD's Evo IX, they took off the alarm and problem solved. Im just saying that some alarm systems if they have to many features can cause trouble.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dennis F
I have been installing for over 16 years now and I don't use Clifford, haven't in over a decade. If they are the same way they were back then, which I suspect, they use a normally open relay on the ignition circuit. When that relay starts to fail, which they will, you lose your ignition from the key signal.

One should NEVER interrupt the IGN1 circuit. I don;t even use starter kills anymore with the implementation of immobilizer key.

Bad install, maybe. Bad device is probably the root cause. Don't say evo's can't have alarms. I have done a dozen or so in evos and not one of them has any type of failure, ever
That might have been what caused my issue, I had a bunch of ignition kill features into it and they probably went bad or they installed it wrong...the people that I talked to also had Clifford alarms...so it might just be a ****ty brand.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I've had my Viper 5901 on my car with no problems. Isn't there an exact Clifford counterpart to the viper? So far seems pretty good to me...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
I've had my Viper 5901 on my car with no problems. Isn't there an exact Clifford counterpart to the viper? So far seems pretty good to me...
Cool story bro
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

had my clifford g5 for over 2 yrs with no issues; well only one issue which was the proximity sensor went bad but was replaced
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bizo2
had my clifford g5 for over 2 yrs with no issues; well only one issue which was the proximity sensor went bad but was replaced
what features do you have?

Quick Reply: Evo + Alarm System = BAD IDEA!!!