Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Need Help Stereo Install problem

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Stereo Install problem

Hey guys, I just purchased:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=9760833

Best Buy was only going to charge $50 to install it. I figured if it only costs $50 it can't be that hard and I'll just do it myself.

So.... I bought the after market harness to make the install easier. Anways, I got everything hooked up, all the wires together and taped individually with Eletrical tape, turned the key on and everything worked. I did all this before putting the radio back in the dash.

After I saw the unit turn on and start the demo. I turned the key off while it was in demo. I pushed all the wires back into the dash and started putting the screws in that hold the radio brackets in place. I went to turn on the car again and now it doesn't work. No power, nothing. I can't figure it out to save my life. I checked all the wires, I checked the ground, I tried resetting the unit, I disconnected the harness and reconnected, checked the fuse.....

I can't figure out what happend. I'm about to cut the wires and solder them again because I don't know what else to do. Just a side note, everything else in the car works, just not the stereo head unit.

Last edited by select21; Jan 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 02:01 PM

wire got pinched or pulled apart. try and pull the wires down underneath while pushing the radio back
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:04 PM

They deffinetly weren't pulled apart, but they might be pinched. I guess I'll just take all the wires apart and start from scratch. I don't know what else to do really. Just by looking at all the connections, it looks fine, just not sure what the hang up is.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:07 PM

anything else stop working? could have blown a fuse. if a power wire pinched against the case this could happen. just a guess
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My suggestion is to solder all your wires together and use heat shrink. This will ensure a good contact between the new and old wires that wont pull or vibrate apart after pulling the head unit multiple times. Even buying a new iron, heat shrink, and solder plus the cost of the adapter will cost less than the $50 they were going to charge you.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 09:52 AM

No, first thing I checked was to make sure everything still works. Car starts fine, clock works, interior light, headlamps, etc.

Could the ground location be the cause? I've got it grounded to a bolt at the back of the space where the Radio goes. First place I had it ground didn't work so I changed it to the current position. Not sure if I moved it around again it might make a difference?

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll have the time to tackle it again today, but if/when I take it all out again, I'm deffinetly solder and heat wrap. Reason I didnt' do that to begin with is I'm in the process of Moving and all our stuff (my tools) are in storage.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Buy a meter and test power, ground, accessory. Simple fix.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by M4Lki3r
My suggestion is to solder all your wires together and use heat shrink. This will ensure a good contact between the new and old wires that wont pull or vibrate apart after pulling the head unit multiple times. Even buying a new iron, heat shrink, and solder plus the cost of the adapter will cost less than the $50 they were going to charge you.
I suggest this, and ziptie the wires neatly into the stock harness or other existing wires so you ensure they cant be pinched. More then likely it was just a bad connection.