Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Port inside cab for subs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
If this is what you want, I can suggest a sub/enclosure combo that will beat your *** like a pinata with relatively little power..
Please give your suggestions. I would be interested in what you think would accomplish this. Believe it or not I don't respect your opinion even though I called you out on the above. .
Old Mar 17, 2011, 06:13 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4xforce
Please give your suggestions. I would be interested in what you think would accomplish this.
Onlinecarstereo.com had a supply of discontinued Blaupunkt drivers (PCW1200). I bought one to play with when PE was clearing them out some years back. Anyway, this thing installed into an el-cheapo PE ported box (~1.2ft3, port at ~48Hz) tuned to roll-off at ~45Hz at 24dB/octave, room peaks notched-out, made for an acoustically sympathetic combination with the Evo's cabin. IOW, it kicked ***. As a bonus, this thing is sensitive enough to be driven by a hair dryer, so a big amplifier isn't necessary. Weight-wise, the sub/box tipped the scales at ~32lbs.

I just looked and OCS is out of stock. I see the drivers on Ebay once in a while. They're not expensive and neither is the enclosure. Put together with the appropriate tuning, and we have the single best sounding sub/enclosure combo I've tried in this car while it was on the move. This particular combo is also guaranteed to pound the listener's chest into submission. Heh, ask me how I know? Sonically, it was good enough to dislodge an IDQ12V2 that I used as a reference for 4 years, BUT only in this car. Like I was saying, audio doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Sorry dude but you would be wrong. Improbable in some conditions maybe but this is not my first car audio rodeo if you will. Cutting out the fabric made my personal setup louder on the bottom end. PERIOD! I have my sub right behind the back seat. It definitely made a difference.
Do you have a subwoofer at home? Cover it with a T-shirt and see what happens. While high frequencies can be deflected with a piece of tissue paper, low frequencies don't work the same way.

Last edited by FJF; Mar 17, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Behind my seats is a very thick foam layer
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by FJF
Do you have a subwoofer at home? Cover it with a T-shirt and see what happens. While high frequencies can be deflected with a piece of tissue paper, low frequencies don't work the same way.

I know the theory behind what you are saying I'm just saying that with my setup and in my car taking the material out there made a difference. I have a rather nice band pass sub with two peerless 12's powered by a 1000w plate amp at home. We've seen eye to eye before and I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just saying each scenario has it's own set of variables and the variable I took out (the fabric behind the arm rest) made a noticeable difference.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:32 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

I know the theory behind what you are saying I'm just saying that with my setup and in my car taking the material out there made a difference. I have a rather nice band pass sub with two peerless 12's powered by a 1000w plate amp at home. We've seen eye to eye before and I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just saying each scenario has it's own set of variables and the variable I took out (the fabric behind the arm rest) made a noticeable difference.
Fair enough.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FJF. How about spacing the rear speakers up to allow air flow from the trunk to cabin. While I know this disagrees with your previous position. It may satisfy the unsold while keeping the car stock (remove grills for the trial period). Keep in mind the rear stage will be effected by going totally "free air", but you should barely hear them in the first place.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:01 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dizaryl
FJF. How about spacing the rear speakers up to allow air flow from the trunk to cabin. While I know this disagrees with your previous position. It may satisfy the unsold while keeping the car stock (remove grills for the trial period). Keep in mind the rear stage will be effected by going totally "free air", but you should barely hear them in the first place.
I had the trunk vented, when it held a sub, via the rear speakers. They were taken out completely, but the grills were kept in place. If one wants to this, I'd suggest a similar route, only because having the rear speakers spaced above the parcel shelf isn't really beneficial.

Last edited by FJF; Mar 21, 2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typos