Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Port inside cab for subs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Port inside cab for subs?

I recently installed a couple of subs in my car, they sound really nice but the problem is the EVO's trunk separates the sound from the cab very well. Obviously I really enjoy the sound from the rear speakers but, I have read the pressure from the subs in the trunk can cause distortion. I don't really hear any issues with the sound coming from them personally.

Are there some that remove the speakers from the rear deck? Perhaps some might do something with the armrest to allow more sound in side the cabin?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:02 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slow5.0.
I recently installed a couple of subs in my car, they sound really nice but the problem is the EVO's trunk separates the sound from the cab very well. Obviously I really enjoy the sound from the rear speakers but, I have read the pressure from the subs in the trunk can cause distortion. I don't really hear any issues with the sound coming from them personally.
Actually, bass travels through our rear seats is if they were tissue paper.

Are there some that remove the speakers from the rear deck? Perhaps some might do something with the armrest to allow more sound in side the cabin?
You can do either or both. I have. It won't really help.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:52 AM

I have leather seats wonder if that makes a difference..
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure the leather would insulate the trunk more. I took my time cutting the material behind the arm rest on the back seat and clipped the loose material back with upholstery clips. In didn't think it would make my sub that much louder but it definitely did. You want to see what you are missing just take the back seat out and turn your system on. Big difference. If nothing else then you will have a pass through like Mitsubishi should have made.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:19 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

I have leather seats wonder if that makes a difference..
It might. Slightly. I know you came from a BMW, where the trunk is truly isolated from the cabin. Our cars aren't like that.

Originally Posted by 4xforce
I took my time cutting the material behind the arm rest on the back seat and clipped the loose material back with upholstery clips. In didn't think it would make my sub that much louder but it definitely did.
I'm sorry; that's simply impossible. The fabric is as thick as ...well... fabric and bass will travel through concrete. Ever heard the stomps of a a parade, or a ball game, or perhaps a concert a couple of miles away? That's how far low frequencies can travel.

You want to see what you are missing just take the back seat out and turn your system on. Big difference. If nothing else then you will have a pass through like Mitsubishi should have made.
This essentially turns the car into a hatchback, audio-wise, and promotes an alternate aliment. It's not the same thing as cutting the fabric out of the armrest. So, yea, I'm sure it sounded different and most likely better.

Last edited by FJF; Mar 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:40 AM

I might angling the speakers up as well... As opening the cubby.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:50 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

I might angling the speakers up as well...
If you're talking about the speakers in the rear shelf, you might as well take them out, if you want to angle them up. Or, you can build an enclosure for them, angling the speakers up, but it's pointless in either case. You have to make a decision: do you want to shoot for quantity or quality. If you're shooting for quality, take the rear speakers out. Music is recorded in stereo, meaning, 2 sources culmination in a 3-dimensional whole. This will also vent the trunk. If you're shooting for quantity, keep the rear speakers securely mounted to the rear shelf, line the shelf (itself) with quality deadening material (Second Skin, Dynamat Xtreme, SDS) as to facilitate an infinite baffle alignment and you're done.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:34 PM

Honesty I'm not really pleased with the sound at all. I think I'm going to remove the speakers. I considered putting this amp on the factory ssl sub just to try it but .. Not sure it would even be noticable.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:24 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

What is the system you have now?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:33 PM

2 infinity 350rms 10's and a alpine m450 mono.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:29 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

2 infinity 350rms 10's and a alpine m450 mono.
It's just a pair of subs and an amp? For whatever reason I thought we were talking about a system. Regardless, what is the issue, exactly? Are you have trouble hearing it when the car is moving, or standing still, or is it a question of sound quality?

BTW, just as a friendly reference, you should have told me the model number of the subs. Their wattage is largely irrelevant.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:50 PM

Infinity reference 10's. With factory ssl sound system. I just don't like the way te system sounds. I think perhaps some upgraded tweeters might help but not enough base travels through the trunk. To me it sounds more like the guy next to me has a hard hitting system and we are playing the same song at the same time. Just feels so distant .. I don't like the staging
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:28 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Infinity reference 10's. With factory ssl sound system. I just don't like the way te system sounds. I think perhaps some upgraded tweeters might help but not enough base travels through the trunk. To me it sounds more like the guy next to me has a hard hitting system and we are playing the same song at the same time. Just feels so distant .. I don't like the staging
The Evo is loud. Really loud. As audio is always relative to noise and distortion, we're staring out at a hell of a disadvantage. Realistically, only so much is possible without overpowering the car. When I listen to the system on my own Evo and compare it to the mid-fi rig in my office, it's a night and day difference. The Evo sounds like crap. Yet, I know full-well that striving for better sound in the Evo will only lead to disappointment in the long run. It's just not going to happen. There are reason for it. If you care, I can link some text.

Then, there's the option to overpower the car. It's certainly doable and it doesn't have to be difficult, it doesn't have to add an exorbitant amount of weight, and it doesn't have to tax your electrical system. But, and this is a big BUT, it will literally test the structural rigidity of the car. You'll get more buzzes, rattles, the (sheetmetal in the) quarter panels will flex, etc. If this is what you want, I can suggest a sub/enclosure combo that will beat your *** like a pinata with relatively little power.

The best you can hope for in this car is a satisfying system. By that I mean a system that will let you enjoy music without added aggravation.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
The Evo is loud. Really loud. As audio is always relative to noise and distortion, we're staring out at a hell of a disadvantage. Realistically, only so much is possible without overpowering the car. When I listen to the system on my own Evo and compare it to the mid-fi rig in my office, it's a night and day difference. The Evo sounds like crap. Yet, I know full-well that striving for better sound in the Evo will only lead to disappointment in the long run. It's just not going to happen. There are reason for it. If you care, I can link some text.

Then, there's the option to overpower the car. It's certainly doable and it doesn't have to be difficult, it doesn't have to add an exorbitant amount of weight, and it doesn't have to tax your electrical system. But, and this is a big BUT, it will literally test the structural rigidity of the car. You'll get more buzzes, rattles, the (sheetmetal in the) quarter panels will flex, etc. If this is what you want, I can suggest a sub/enclosure combo that will beat your *** like a pinata with relatively little power.

The best you can hope for in this car is a satisfying system. By that I mean a system that will let you enjoy music without added aggravation.
what sub/enclosure combo will beat me like a pinata?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I'm sorry; that's simply impossible. The fabric is as thick as ...well... fabric and bass will travel through concrete. Ever heard the stomps of a a parade, or a ball game, or perhaps a concert a couple of miles away? That's how far low frequencies can travel
Sorry dude but you would be wrong. Improbable in some conditions maybe but this is not my first car audio rodeo if you will. Cutting out the fabric made my personal setup louder on the bottom end. PERIOD! I have my sub right behind the back seat. It definitely made a difference.

Last edited by 4xforce; Mar 16, 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Port inside cab for subs?