Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Android tablet in evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about doing something like this as well. I have a single DIN in my car and was thinking of fabricating the dash so the tablet could fit in and be easily removed. The tablet would then be able to hook to my single DIN deck through USB and aux with the cable running behind the tablet console.

In regards to GPS, it's mainly older devices that require cell phone coverage. It used to require it to pull down the map info, but most devices have enough memory now that GPS apps are bundled with the maps. For example my tom tom app on my iphone is a 1.5GB and has all the map info. The Garmin app i used to use on my BB didn't so I would need cell coverage. It's not dependent on the GPS, it's dependent on the application.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 237 Likes on 213 Posts
whoa would be a sick set up. idk though, if you want connectivity dont u have to pay verizon monthly? i'm just running a car in dash set up right now.

i did hear a rumor about android making a platform to run for in dash
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would be a killer setup. It would also be very easy to work out the audio. the lower din, install a headunit with aux. boosh.

fyi: as for gps, it works with or without internet. it uses satellites. but for it to download images of where you are, it requires cell signal.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:55 PM

I have a double din kit ready to be installed I just dont have any idea how to even begin wiring this thing if i buy the tablet. Its not that easy for me lol. I think Foryou electronics is coming out with a double din android head unit as kyoo mentioned, cant freakin wait!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

wow, you know I'm usually against adding sound systems and things to car's like the evo but this is just cool.

I would love to have an android tablet in my car so that I didn't have to use my phone for everything

with this you could even down load track master (which i use now) and have a much larger display to see how your doing on track..not to mention obdII monitors
Old Apr 29, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 237 Likes on 213 Posts
i wonder when the android tablet is coming out? i love android stuff over iphone stuff so id be a huge supporter of it.. i just bought that z120bt not that long ago too.. damn
Old Apr 29, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

I'm trying to contact this guy for more info on how best to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stE33HD4g-c
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:12 PM

Lol yea i saw that vid before hes got some creepy hands w that black nail polish lol but the tablet seems to work great and i can imagine it inside the evo already lol. Someone do this already! i think i might wait it out for the actual android head unit thats coming out.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by kyoo
i wonder when the android tablet is coming out? i love android stuff over iphone stuff so id be a huge supporter of it.. i just bought that z120bt not that long ago too.. damn
You mean the head unit? yea i would love that too! To me it can be apple or android wichever works but it looks like an android pc is coming!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Montu
wow, you know I'm usually against adding sound systems and things to car's like the evo but this is just cool.

I would love to have an android tablet in my car so that I didn't have to use my phone for everything

with this you could even down load track master (which i use now) and have a much larger display to see how your doing on track..not to mention obdII monitors
That would be bad *** all on one bigger screen!
Old May 5, 2011, 07:51 PM

Check that out, it's not a tablet but it's running Android 2.2:

http://youtu.be/nIXx0QSVSgo?hd=1

Last edited by Nilesh; May 5, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nilesh
Check that out, it's not a tablet but it's running Android 2.2:

http://youtu.be/nIXx0QSVSgo?hd=1
Thats the head unit we have all been talking about thats comin out. I hope it comes out soon! I cant wait to install this!
Old May 7, 2011, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow..!!! im going to jump on this too!!! i think ill just buy one of those android based tablets that are on craigslist for like 125 to 200 at most
Old May 7, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

I used to have a pic of what Audioclinic in Belleville, NJ did. They integrated an IPad into an Evo X dash.. looked crazy nice..
Old May 9, 2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Panda
wow..!!! im going to jump on this too!!! i think ill just buy one of those android based tablets that are on craigslist for like 125 to 200 at most
Nice keep us up to date on your progress!

Quick Reply: Android tablet in evo