Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Android tablet in evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want this thing to work and stay working, you need to get the power source plugged directly into your 12v. You need to have access to your power button, being that this isnt a car radio and wont turn on when the car turns on. So that should be your biggest goal. Sound is easy, get the headphone jack and plug it either into an Aux in on a radio (hidden, perhaps under the passenger seat), or into a marine or motorcycle amp that has aux input. If you go headphone to RCAs, I wouldnt go directly into an amp, but a crossover first. Some personal audio tweaking before it hits the amp would be a good idea.

To flushmount, just dremel until you get the thing to fit snug, and fab in some plastic clips from behind to keep it from sliding back into the dash.

Ive been wanting to toy with this for a while, but am too lazy to relocate HVAC and gauge pods.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:42 AM

I installed this into my Evo VII. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I use a 2.1 amp USB cig lighter to charge it. It turns "off" automatically 15 seconds after power is no longer applied. As soon as it gets a bluetooth connection to my phone, my phone begins tethering and the tab connects to the network. Speakers are ran by an amp under the pass. seat.

Last edited by Hardparked; Aug 18, 2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hardparked
I installed this into my Evo VII. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I use a 2.1 amp USB cig lighter to charge it. It turns "off" automatically 15 seconds after power is no longer applied. As soon as it gets a bluetooth connection to my phone, my phone begins tethering and the tab connects to the network. Speakers are ran by an amp under the pass. seat.

Nice work! What kind of amp did you run on your car and are these speakers aftermarket or OEM?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:11 AM

^ Looks great man! What i dont get is how do you hold the tablet in? What keeps it secure so it just doesn't fall back in there?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by timmiii
Nice work! What kind of amp did you run on your car and are these speakers aftermarket or OEM?
The amp I have right now is a giant turd that only has 1 working channel. I used it because it came with the car when I bought it about a month ago. I plan on picking up a new, 4 channel amp to separate the front and rear channels and get a good, clear sound. Speakers in the doors are pioneer somethings that came with the car.. All I did was rewire them with some nicer cable. The rears are some kenwood 500w max 6x9's that I am going to have a custom shelf built on top of the factory speaker panel behind the rear seats. I have no intention of running any sort of sub as I am going to autox/gymkhana the car at least 2 times a month.

Originally Posted by evolucionando
^ Looks great man! What i dont get is how do you hold the tablet in? What keeps it secure so it just doesn't fall back in there?
I made a custom bracket to keep the tablet in place. The stereo surround actually presses on the outside border of the tablet just a little and really holds it in place. It doesn't move at all and allows access to the front buttons and the entire screen. The only problem is the power/volume buttons which are not really a concern because it is so easy to remove the front panel and then pull out the tablet. I will get more pics and video of it as it is completely finished.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

@hardparked: where did you get that double din surround with the texture in it. it looks to match the oem pretty well
Old Sep 1, 2011, 01:57 AM

That is the OEM double din surround. My EVO came with the controls located underneath the radio console area.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm, how come your jdm double din bezel looks different from the other ones.....
Old Sep 1, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

You can get the bezel in both the textured and the smooth finish. I think it has to do with the trim level of the car. Just like the how the RS has the textured bezel here.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

oh, so what trim is it for textured? and where can i buy?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:15 PM

have you considered that tablets, unlike car headunits etc., are verrrry sensitive to heat and sunlight. I work for verizon, and it is somewhere common to get the idiot customer complaining that they're tablet doesnt work anymore after leaving it in the car.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 237 Likes on 213 Posts
nice!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:40 PM

cool!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:26 PM

hella clean!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 09:07 PM