Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Android tablet in evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Android tablet in evo

Hi everyone was just wonderin if anyone had done an install of an android tablet in an evo 8/9 as i couldn't find any info on it. Lookin at doing the install but im no audio/wiring expert, ill post up a pic of a mock up w a jdm doube din panel and samsung galaxy tablet it seems that it fits almost perfect, like it belongs in there
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:15 PM

This is the only pic I have obviously its not in the car. Any info or pics would be greatly appreciated Theres gotta be somebody who knows!!!
Attached Thumbnails Android tablet in evo-iphone-pics.jpg  
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

great idea; I reckon the audio out would be the "challenge"
but if you could get it installed, dont see how it would be an issue.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

how would the GPS work if you are not around any cell phone towers? Just curious...that would be the limitation as far as I could tell. My android phone gps does not work when out in the wilderness...perhaps there is an ap or something that I dont know about...

still great idea
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maikumaru
how would the GPS work if you are not around any cell phone towers? Just curious...that would be the limitation as far as I could tell. My android phone gps does not work when out in the wilderness...perhaps there is an ap or something that I dont know about...

still great idea

Dont think anything will work without signal or internet, but as far as internet goes ill be tethering off of my jailbroken iphone which is sweet
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maikumaru

still great idea
Unlike cellphones, most android tablets do not rely on internet connectivity in order for the gps to activate. Its kind of silly that my iphone needs internet for the gps to work even though one has nothing to do with the other.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by rcheung
Unlike cellphones, most android tablets do not rely on internet connectivity in order for the gps to activate. Its kind of silly that my iphone needs internet for the gps to work even though one has nothing to do with the other.

Interesting... learn something new everyday! my mane use for the tablet is:

1. youtube! and music
2. gps
3.internet browsing
3.movies/apps
4. and other stuff
Old Apr 7, 2011, 04:14 PM

Any techy people wanna chime in? Anyone done it b4? Help!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lots of resources: http://www.mp3car.com/android-tablet/

Some thoughts:

1. How to manage power? Do you want it to just be "on" all the time? If so, what if it dies, then how will you reach the power button with it flush mounted?

2. Audio out - this can be done by sending the 2.5mm headphone jack to either a head unit, or to an amplifier directly. (I think that Dave Bushur did this using is iphone).

3. Buttons - they are always gonna appear sideways

4. App managing... its not bad on its own, but its certainly not as nice as the app: Tasker
http://www.mp3car.com/android-tablet...t-rooting.html

5. OBD - Try "Torque" from the market.

Mounting options: If you flush mount it, its nearly permanent. If you mount it infront somehow it stick out a bit, but then you have some flexibility options. Keep in mind the front facing camera is nearly useless if its facing your center console.

I would do some research on how others have installed ipads in their cars, only because they have been around longer, and from a mounting perspective it will give you some ideas. App-wise, the world is your oyster.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by unsungboxer
lots of resources: http://www.mp3car.com/android-tablet/

Some thoughts:

1. How to manage power? Do you want it to just be "on" all the time? If so, what if it dies, then how will you reach the power button with it flush mounted?

2. Audio out - this can be done by sending the 2.5mm headphone jack to either a head unit, or to an amplifier directly. (I think that Dave Bushur did this using is iphone).

3. Buttons - they are always gonna appear sideways

4. App managing... its not bad on its own, but its certainly not as nice as the app: Tasker
http://www.mp3car.com/android-tablet...t-rooting.html

5. OBD - Try "Torque" from the market.

Mounting options: If you flush mount it, its nearly permanent. If you mount it infront somehow it stick out a bit, but then you have some flexibility options. Keep in mind the front facing camera is nearly useless if its facing your center console.

I would do some research on how others have installed ipads in their cars, only because they have been around longer, and from a mounting perspective it will give you some ideas. App-wise, the world is your oyster.

Awesome post bro thanks for the info you're right though theres alot to consider of course mountng it flush would look hella better but not practical plus i wanna be able to use it with evoscan as well as all the other goodies. At least you gave me a starting point im going to try and find a good place here locally that can do this for me cause im no good at this. Has anyone actually done this in an evo before? I know some have done carputers and such but ive never seen an android tablet. these things are getting more popular everyday!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by rcheung
Actually what your cellphone is doing is using a-gps. It uses cell triangulation to narrow down your location then uses the gps to pinpoint it. It will work with no cell signal but take longer to get a fix. If you for example used your phone's gps in low/ no signal areas like you would encounter driving from say texas to ny you will notice the initial fix takes a long time but the following warm starts gets a fix much faster
Another issue with the gps is that it works best with the antenna having clear line of sight to the sky. It is possilble that the dash could block or reduce the signal.

The headphone jack is def an option. I used this method straight to an amp in my last 2 carputer setups. It has its pros and cons. The pro was being able to control the volume in software and using a software equalizer (android has dsp manager). The problem I kept running into was picking up a hum from the electrical wires close by. I have used a ground loop isolator which would reduce it but not completely eliminate it. Playing around with the wiring did help, keeping your audio wires away from power wires.

The power button is probably going to be your biggest problem. with a nano itx computer it is easier to solder an external switch in parallel to the power switch on a motherboard. That would seem almost impossible on a tablet.

Last edited by Hb55047; Apr 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:17 AM

this looks nice
Old Apr 9, 2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hb55047
Actually what your cellphone is doing is using a-gps. It uses cell triangulation to narrow down your location then uses the gps to pinpoint it. It will work with no cell signal but take longer to get a fix. If you for example used your phone's gps in low/ no signal areas like you would encounter driving from say texas to ny you will notice the initial fix takes a long time but the following warm starts gets a fix much faster
Another issue with the gps is that it works best with the antenna having clear line of sight to the sky. It is possilble that the dash could block or reduce the signal.

The headphone jack is def an option. I used this method straight to an amp in my last 2 carputer setups. It has its pros and cons. The pro was being able to control the volume in software and using a software equalizer (android has dsp manager). The problem I kept running into was picking up a hum from the electrical wires close by. I have used a ground loop isolator which would reduce it but not completely eliminate it. Playing around with the wiring did help, keeping your audio wires away from power wires.

The power button is probably going to be your biggest problem. with a nano itx computer it is easier to solder an external switch in parallel to the power switch on a motherboard. That would seem almost impossible on a tablet.

Sounds complicated lol, i wonder if a windows carputer is better and easier than the tablet?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 09:17 PM

It is definitely easier, not much fab work needed. There are premade double din touchscreens on ebay. There are also dc to dc power supplies in the mp3car store. They can be wired to switch the computer on and off with the ignition. If you do decide to go the android route I think it would be really cool. Would love to see the setup.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

what about sound quality? i mean thats the most important thing here right?

Quick Reply: Android tablet in evo