Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Messed up big time... cut into my wire harness... help me out plz

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Messed up big time... cut into my wire harness... help me out plz

Fixed!

Last edited by GG_EVO_IX; Jul 20, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old May 3, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Peel the harness back and fix it? You don't really have any other options other than buying a new harness. Peel back the cover, and fix the wires you cut. They should be color coded, so it shouldn't be terrible.
Old May 3, 2011, 03:13 PM

Should be able to splice them back together and heatshrink them. How many wires did you cut through?
Old May 3, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

It's a very tight spot. How hard would it be to remove the harness or remove it enough to get more play? The harness is cut on the inside of the boot and engine side... not cut but spliced.

Originally Posted by sirsol
Peel the harness back and fix it? You don't really have any other options other than buying a new harness. Peel back the cover, and fix the wires you cut. They should be color coded, so it shouldn't be terrible.
Old May 3, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I would say 2-3 wires.

Originally Posted by stackhouse
Should be able to splice them back together and heatshrink them. How many wires did you cut through?
Old May 3, 2011, 04:21 PM

you may see if you can wiggle the harness at the firewall either way to get access to the damaged part. If you just cut into the insulation of the wires, then wrap them individually in some electrical tape to keep them from shorting out or touching each other. If the wires are cut all the way through, and you cant get enough slack to splice them back together, then use a new piece of wire to do so. You can spice one end, then push the new wire through to the other side and spice that end. I hope this helps, I havent messed with the harness, so i dont really know how difficult it is to get to where youre having problems.
Oh, and its probably not a bad idea to disconnect the battery while youre doing this.
Old May 3, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you sir. I can get to the interior (inside) wires easily. I'm going to try to pull the harness in so I can reach the engine bay side wires... It's sketchy. Also when I started up my car and drove it about 50 feet, the CEL and ACD lights all came on and so I coasted my car to a parking spot. The steering wheel tighten up and the car just died out. Hope I didn't mess anything up?

Originally Posted by stackhouse
you may see if you can wiggle the harness at the firewall either way to get access to the damaged part. If you just cut into the insulation of the wires, then wrap them individually in some electrical tape to keep them from shorting out or touching each other. If the wires are cut all the way through, and you cant get enough slack to splice them back together, then use a new piece of wire to do so. You can spice one end, then push the new wire through to the other side and spice that end. I hope this helps, I havent messed with the harness, so i dont really know how difficult it is to get to where youre having problems.
Oh, and its probably not a bad idea to disconnect the battery while youre doing this.