Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Anybody running a sound system with a mini battery?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Anybody running a sound system with a mini battery?

Has anybody put in a sound system and running a mini battery? I know it would be asking for trouble with a big system but just curious if anybody has and if so how big of an amp and speakers/subs?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
search for "batcap" its a mini battery thats for audio setup as well. Theres a guy on here that posted a how to and is running this. basically the best of both worlds. light weight battery for racing and a capacitor for audio. the price is ~180 for the battery... iicr

as for the typical mini batteries im sure u can run a system as long as the car is on. once its off... good luck.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

It may be more practical and easier for you if you just relocate your stock battery location to the trunk than run the danger of a mini battery and energy sucking audio system...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Totally not related, but why would you switch to a light weight battery only to lose the weight savings benefit by adding heavy stereo components?

Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Im running a mini batt. Got two subs and an alarm. No problems so far.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:16 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by My03evo
Has anybody put in a sound system and running a mini battery? I know it would be asking for trouble with a big system but just curious if anybody has and if so how big of an amp and speakers/subs?
Wire everything for 4 Ohms, or more, and you won't have a problem.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Wire everything for 4 Ohms, or more, and you won't have a problem.
Why would you run such a high load?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Why would you run such a high load?
1. It's not a high load. In audio, it's considered fairly low. "Such a high load" would point to resistance (way) above 8 Ohms. 16 Ohms would be a high load. 32 Ohms would be "such a high load." There other variables that contribute to the ultimate significance of a load, such as its phase angle, but we're not quite there yet.

2. This discussion hinges on current draw. The higher the load, the less current being drawn.

Last edited by FJF; Aug 26, 2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get an optima yellow top and relocate it to the trunk...that should be a bit more reliable depending on how much power your audio setup is pushing. if your running separate amps for the subs and high's then you can get a battery cap or capacitor for ~ $100 to accomodate the extra power.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

David Buschur told me that it's ok to run a mini battery with a system but if you use the system with the car not running that it would drain the battery.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i went with an optima D51R....Smaller than stock, but not too small to run a nice stereo...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
Totally not related, but why would you switch to a light weight battery only to lose the weight savings benefit by adding heavy stereo components?

The main reason for a mini battery is so you can run larger aftermarket intercooler piping. Mine came with my car and I don't feel like getting a fullsize and mounting it in the trunk since I have more important stuff I want to get done before the cold weather hits first like cop setup and catch cans, etc. But I have 2 10's in a box with amp and a single sub with amp built onto the side of it just sitting in storage and I miss having some kind of bump in my car so just wondering if its doable or what. Ill prob end up putting in the single amp/sub combo in for now and yeah I do have a 1/2 farad capacitor from when I had a system in my stang I can use too
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:58 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

The main reason for a mini battery is so you can run larger aftermarket intercooler piping.
A bigger UICP doesn't really do anything.

Mine came with my car and I don't feel like getting a fullsize and mounting it in the trunk since I have more important stuff I want to get done before the cold weather hits first like cop setup and catch cans, etc.
A battery is pretty important for cold weather, unlike a catch can or a COP.

But I have 2 10's in a box with amp and a single sub with amp built onto the side of it just sitting in storage and I miss having some kind of bump in my car so just wondering if its doable or what.
It's more "or what," than doable. The Evo is a very loud car. If you want to hear and feel well-defined bass when the car is moving, it's a bit more work than sticking a sub in the trunk.

Ill prob end up putting in the single amp/sub combo in for now and yeah I do have a 1/2 farad capacitor from when I had a system in my stang I can use too
...don't install a cap.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:45 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
The main reason for a mini battery is so you can run larger aftermarket intercooler piping.
Sure, that makes sense. I guess I was mostly asking about the weight savings sacrifice.

Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
A bigger UICP doesn't really do anything.

A battery is pretty important for cold weather, unlike a catch can or a COP.

It's more "or what," than doable. The Evo is a very loud car. If you want to hear and feel well-defined bass when the car is moving, it's a bit more work than sticking a sub in the trunk.

...don't install a cap.
I drive mine everyday hot or cold so no worry about it not starting. It has sat for a week in the cold n was fine anyway. I have heard the same about caps too not to use one. What's the reason? Abd are you saying it wouldn't make a difference if I put the stock uicp on?