Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Just picked up Infinity Bass Link I...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up Infinity Bass Link I...

I had a Evo V/// before I never got around getting a sound system in it besides a Kenwood CD player. I don't like bulky systems and I especially, hate when it takes up the whole trunk, and if I wanted to have someone custom fab one for my trunk..well..I am sorry, I am not going to spend +$2k on something that doesn't give me POWA! But don't get me mistaken, the other cars I had before the Evo were all rockin' some decent sub/amp applications. 1200 watt 12" sub powered by 1000 watt Alpine amp and another 1000 watt 12" sub powered by 600watt Kenwood Amp. The subs were in 2 different band pass enclosures. The bass was just ridiculous. I didn't want to run that setup in the Evo because ofcourse, trunk space and weight.

So, now I got a Evo IX SE, and have been looking around for a decent lightweight system. Saw a few..

1: Infinity Bass Link II- 10" sub with 250 watt amp. 22lbs. $250.
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refer.../dp/B000A6GK4E

I didn't go with this because its $50 more just for 50 more watts..
Probably, not even going to hear the difference. On some other random site, I read a lot of failure issues with this unit.

2: Boss BASS 1200- 10" sub. 12lbs. Couldn't find the wattage on the AMP. $150
http://www.amazon.com/BASS1200-10-In.../dp/B001DXF990

Nice little unit, can easily fit under the seat and about the same weight as a nice little dump taken after having a carne asada super burrito. The only thing scared me was the negative feedback it received and the fact that, even though, it says 1200 watts, according to people who have it say it doesn't deliver what it promises. But, none the less, for $150 doesn't sound too bad.

3: Infinity Bass Link I- 10" sub w/ 200watt amp. Expect to pay ~$200. This is THE OG, the rat bastard (as I like to call it.)
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Bassl.../dp/B000063TJY

I believe this is, as close as, if not the same, the unit that comes in SSL Evos. I personally have neither seen nor heard the SSL Evo system and I have neither seen nor heard the Infinity Bass Link system, but if I am not mistaken, the SSL Evo 10" sub + Amp are made by Infinity. Why I went with this unit is because the feedback its getting, and most of the people who complained about the other two units switched to this unit and are living happily ever after. I bought the unit from Crutchfield for $200 and came with free wiring kit. I was originally trying to get the clear one, and found out that its been disco'd... that would have been sweet. I haven't gotten to having this unit installed yet due to lack of time, but one of these days. If anyone on here has it and would want to post some insight on it, I would greatly appreciate it and it would also come in handy for any other possible buyer who is interested in a 2 in 1 sub/amp package thats compact and light weight. Also, the price sits right in between the other two units listed.

I will post my thoughts after this gets installed.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:46 PM

My cousin (Steven) on the boards had the bass link in his evo. If i remember right, we took it out and he sent it back cause it wasn't quite what he was wanting. I believe he has the sound ordnance sub/amp combo and stuck it under the front seat. He also has the IX SE model. Feel free to contact him about more info on the basslink. I made a small box and stuck the pioneer 8" shallow mount in it and stuck it under the front seat.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brian00
My cousin (Steven) on the boards had the bass link in his evo. If i remember right, we took it out and he sent it back cause it wasn't quite what he was wanting. I believe he has the sound ordnance sub/amp combo and stuck it under the front seat. He also has the IX SE model. Feel free to contact him about more info on the basslink. I made a small box and stuck the pioneer 8" shallow mount in it and stuck it under the front seat.
I don't know his SN.. but when you said, "it wasn't quite what he was wanting", meaning it wasn't loud enough.
I went with this because I am not looking for monstrous bass that will make my *** cheeks quiver, just something a little louder than the stock speakers, and a bit of thump..just to make my ***** tickle. Yea, that sums it up.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:12 PM

his sign in is Steven...i'll get him to chime in here for you...

Last edited by Brian00; Jan 10, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

I owned one of the original basslinks (think I got it circa 2004 after downgrading to a lower profile system). Loved it inside my SUV, bass was tight and clean. Size was just right and optional mounting locations was convenient. I think within the first year or 2 a capacitor or board blew within the amp. A local Infinity repair shop fixed it for no charge. Had it for another 2 years before someone totaled my truck. I then sold it to a friend that put it in his VW GTI. He is still rocking it and loves it. Just the right amount of bass. So that's almost 9 years operating almost daily... not too shabby for $200 bucks!

Last edited by SPANKED; Jan 10, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

I bought a basslink and it just didn't put out enough low end bass in this car. The drone of my exhaust hits much lower tones than the basslink could, and it seemed to wash out the mid-range bass. I then installed 2 Infinity 10" subs with an amp that put out 300 watts rms to each speaker. It was a much better setup, but I got tired of it moving around in the trunk. I had it strapped down, but a 520hp launch would slide the carpet all over the place. I sold that setup and "downgraded" to a Sound Ordinance under seat subwoofer. Amazingly, I puts almost as much audible bass in the cabin as the 2 Infinity subs. I believe it is because the sound is actually in the cabin rather than going through the rear seats. My cousin Brian just bought a Pioneer shallow sub and Kenwood amp, that sounds even better than my Sound Ordinance. We made a small box to fit under the passenger seat, and it puts out some serious bass. I may build a similar setup in the future. For a really simple setup, I feel that my Sound Ordinance under seat nearly twice the bass at about half the price of the Basslink I bought. (Sound Ordinance $150, Basslink $279)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by SPANKED
I owned one of the original basslinks (think I got it circa 2004 after downgrading to a lower profile system). Loved it inside my SUV, bass was tight and clean. Size was just right and optional mounting locations was convenient. I think within the first year or 2 a capacitor or board blew within the amp. A local Infinity repair shop fixed it for no charge. Had it for another 2 years before someone totaled my truck. I then sold it to a friend that put it in his VW GTI. He is still rocking it and loves it. Just the right amount of bass. So that's almost 9 years operating almost daily... not too shabby for $200 bucks!
Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Steven
I bought a basslink and it just didn't put out enough low end bass in this car. The drone of my exhaust hits much lower tones than the basslink could, and it seemed to wash out the mid-range bass. I then installed 2 Infinity 10" subs with an amp that put out 300 watts rms to each speaker. It was a much better setup, but I got tired of it moving around in the trunk. I had it strapped down, but a 520hp launch would slide the carpet all over the place. I sold that setup and "downgraded" to a Sound Ordinance under seat subwoofer. Amazingly, I puts almost as much audible bass in the cabin as the 2 Infinity subs. I believe it is because the sound is actually in the cabin rather than going through the rear seats. My cousin Brian just bought a Pioneer shallow sub and Kenwood amp, that sounds even better than my Sound Ordinance. We made a small box to fit under the passenger seat, and it puts out some serious bass. I may build a similar setup in the future. For a really simple setup, I feel that my Sound Ordinance under seat nearly twice the bass at about half the price of the Basslink I bought. (Sound Ordinance $150, Basslink $279)
The sound oridance is only a 8" sub 120watt amp for $150. I bought the infinity 10" sub w/ 200watt amp for $200 out the door from Crutch Field w/ free shipping and free wiring harness. The sound ordinance probably sounds louder is because its under your seat.
Now the other one that sound like a good deal is the Pioneer Shallow Sub you mentioned..
especially this.. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SWX.../dp/B004HW6F9M

Not bad. If I am not happy with Infinity delivering, then I might run the pioneer unit in conjunction.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:58 PM

The Pioneer that i have is the TS-SW841D...the pioneer you linked is gonna be to wide to fit under the seat...You will have to make a box for the shallow mount sub.i can get you some pics of the one i have, if you like.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Brian00
The Pioneer that i have is the TS-SW841D...the pioneer you linked is gonna be to wide to fit under the seat...You will have to make a box for the shallow mount sub.i can get you some pics of the one i have, if you like.
Sure man, anything helps. Thanks.
Yea, if the infinity fails to deliver, I will get the Pioneer Shallow Sub also. haha they are light and compact. So doesn't hurt anything.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:43 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ot-system.html

^^^ This is the thread where I installed a shallow sub under the driver's seat. It also discusses the sonic constraints we face in these cars, so I'd suggest reading the whole thing. Good luck.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ot-system.html

^^^ This is the thread where I installed a shallow sub under the driver's seat. It also discusses the sonic constraints we face in these cars, so I'd suggest reading the whole thing. Good luck.
Thanks.. Reading over now.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:56 PM

here is what my sub looks like....

Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Brian00, that box looks nice! Are you running it under the stock seats with stock mounting hardware?

I'm running the stock seats with lowered brackets, so I'm curious what the height of your box is and if it will fit under my seats.

Also what amp are you using to power it? Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steven
Steven where did you pick up the Sound Ordnance from for $150. Are you running the stock speakers?

Quick Reply: Just picked up Infinity Bass Link I...