Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Replacement front speakers??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replacement front speakers??

I have a Kenwood head unit (KDC-MP732) that came with my car, I believe my front speakers are not really functioning 100%. My friends evo with totally stock sound system and head unit sounds amazing. My cars sound system just doesnt have punch or depth to it, the sound from the rear seems fine though.

I will first determine if the front speakers are shot. But, if I want to upgrade my speakers, what should I be looking for and what size and whatnot? I dont want to go nuts with amps and whatnot, I just want my music to sound good when I do have it on and so that I dont have to crank my volume up just to hear it.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
I have a Kenwood head unit (KDC-MP732) that came with my car, I believe my front speakers are not really functioning 100%. My friends evo with totally stock sound system and head unit sounds amazing. My cars sound system just doesnt have punch or depth to it, the sound from the rear seems fine though.
1. Check to see if the fronts are wired in phase (at the HU).

2. If the speakers are shot and you like the sound in your friend's car, buy a set of stock speakers from the classifieds. That's what I'd do.

But, if I want to upgrade my speakers, what should I be looking for and what size and whatnot?
6.5". You'll need a set of adapters to fit the stock locations. You can get them on ebay.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:00 PM

Focal makes inverted magnet speakers to fit Evo Front doors 150 watts each
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:26 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by futureal
150 watts each
What does that actually mean?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
What does that actually mean?
Dude, you;re smart, why not just say what's on your mind instead of discussing through 10 posts why it's important to dig through much more them rms wattage...

Trying to save time for noobs like myself
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:36 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 8UpUrV8
Dude, you;re smart, why not just say what's on your mind instead of discussing through 10 posts why it's important to dig through much more them rms wattage...

Trying to save time for noobs like myself
Fair enough. A wattage spec on a speaker, in essence, has no real meaning as applied to putting together an audio system that plays music. Simply put, it doesn't matter. What matters on a spec sheet? Not a whole lot. Impedance, kinda/maybe. Frequency response, I guess an argument can be made. That's about it. How do you choose a speaker? One way is to buy on faith. Pick a brand, price range, and the specs you like and you're done. The other way is to listen to a given speaker (installed in a car) using your own music, preferably in a car that's moving. Clearly, the odds of that happening are slim, so one is left with the former.

I'll tell you what I did after paying around with a whole lot of gear: I installed the stock speakers into sealed/deadened doors, replaced the factory HU with an Alpine 105, installed a small woofer under the driver's seat, and an amp under the passenger's. Here's the thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ot-system.html
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:13 PM

If you go to metraonline.com it will tell you the mounting depth of ur car. From there choose a speaker you like by specs with that mounting depth. As for the sound it could b that he has his EQ in his radio set up correctly which makes loads of difference. Also a aftermarket head unit has way more power than a factory. And the factory speakers are made to withstand the factory radio wattage/power. Change your speakers and adjust your EQ correctly and you should b sounding good. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
Fair enough. A wattage spec on a speaker, in essence, has no real meaning as applied to putting together an audio system that plays music. Simply put, it doesn't matter. What matters on a spec sheet? Not a whole lot. Impedance, kinda/maybe. Frequency response, I guess an argument can be made. That's about it. How do you choose a speaker? One way is to buy on faith. Pick a brand, price range, and the specs you like and you're done. The other way is to listen to a given speaker (installed in a car) using your own music, preferably in a car that's moving. Clearly, the odds of that happening are slim, so one is left with the former.

I'll tell you what I did after paying around with a whole lot of gear: I installed the stock speakers into sealed/deadened doors, replaced the factory HU with an Alpine 105, installed a small woofer under the driver's seat, and an amp under the passenger's. Here's the thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ot-system.html

Dude what are you smoking...............
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by futureal
Dude what are you smoking...............
<grin> Then explain this to me.

Edit: I just read your thread, posted right below this one, where you have absolutely no idea how your sub is wired. Worse, you have no idea what that actually means. On second thought, don't try to explain this to me.

Last edited by FJF; Jan 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:38 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmarsh2405
And the factory speakers are made to withstand the factory radio wattage/power. Change your speakers and adjust your EQ correctly and you should b sounding good. Hope this helps.
Adjusting a EQ will most certainly change the tonal balance of a system like any tone control. True.

As for factory speakers/factory power, well, it's kinda true, but largely irrelevant. Why? Because, power isn't the only variable in the equation, and because speakers get damaged due to excess heat. FWIW, the thread I link'd discusses the constraints we face in our cars. Feeding power into a relatively insensitive aftermarket speaker won't solve our issues.

FWIW, factory speakers are not made to withstand factory power; they're designed to be very sensitive as to take advantage of a low-powered HU. There's an enormous difference between the two concepts.

Last edited by FJF; Jan 27, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmarsh2405
If you go to metraonline.com it will tell you the mounting depth of ur car. From there choose a speaker you like by specs with that mounting depth. As for the sound it could b that he has his EQ in his radio set up correctly which makes loads of difference. Also a aftermarket head unit has way more power than a factory. And the factory speakers are made to withstand the factory radio wattage/power. Change your speakers and adjust your EQ correctly and you should b sounding good. Hope this helps.
I played with my EQ as well, it doesnt help. Its not tone thats the issue. its depth. Theres no depth of sound up front, it sounds like the speakers are operating at like 25% capacity.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
1. Check to see if the fronts are wired in phase (at the HU).

2. If the speakers are shot and you like the sound in your friend's car, buy a set of stock speakers from the classifieds. That's what I'd do.

6.5". You'll need a set of adapters to fit the stock locations. You can get them on ebay.

Thank you sir, Ill look into the wiring. Noob question...how would I know if they are or arent wired in phase at the head unit.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:38 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Noob question...how would I know if they are or arent wired in phase at the head unit.
I suggested looking at the HU, because it's easier. You can check the color codes on the (speaker) wires and make sure that positive and negative is consistent across the board.

If you feel comfortable listening for it, configure the system for the front speakers only, just the mids if possible, and play a recording that you personally know very well. Something with a strong center image. If the speakers are wired in phase, the image will float next the center of the dash. If they're out of phase, the image that used to be in the center will be 'glued" to the speaker grills. Bass is another value. Out of phase, very little bass compared to in phase.

Last edited by FJF; Jan 27, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Thats what it sounds like really, theres terrible mid range and horrible bass when I have the system balanced to front only.

Quick Reply: Replacement front speakers??