Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

HELP! Electrical Issue, Start & MPH Gauge Issue.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP! Electrical Issue, Start & MPH Gauge Issue.

I've seen this before on a previous car but don't remember what was done to fix it.

Customer has an Evo 8 that was running fine, battery went dead, tryed to jump it with a jump box and it wouldn't start. We have voltage, we hear the silonoids click, but the starter doesn't try and turn the car over. The oddity here is that once you turn the key on the MPH gauge starts going crazy and bounces around. All the fuses at first glance looked good.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get a new battery. You can have voltage on a battery, but not enough juice to turn the starter over. Do the interior lights dim when trying to engage the starter?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

We have 11.8v on the jump box and on the connection. We can try a battery but a low battery would not cause the MPH gauge to go crazy which leads me to believe there's a bigger issue.

Not to mention the cars been jumped off the box in the past as well.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Check the junction box as in this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/in...s-how-fix.html

If weird stuff is going on in that area or with the starting, horn, wipers, lights, etc. thats my first thought.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

It's something... I'll give that a check tomarrow.

Is the gauge cluster ran through that connecter you think?

The car only has something like 50k miles, and sets in a garage with the battery diconected. Was started about a month ago with no issues and this time around it wouldn't start. You turn the key on and the MPH gauge goes nuts, and you try to crank it and the silonoid clicks and does nothing.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Live4Redline
It's something... I'll give that a check tomarrow.

Is the gauge cluster ran through that connecter you think?

The car only has something like 50k miles, and sets in a garage with the battery diconected. Was started about a month ago with no issues and this time around it wouldn't start. You turn the key on and the MPH gauge goes nuts, and you try to crank it and the silonoid clicks and does nothing.

Theres a lot of stuff that runs through that junction box. Definitely it has connections for starter, horn, headlights, wipers, and airbag light. I wouldn't be surprised if it had a connection for the speedo. And it doesn't matter how much mileage or how long its been in a garage. If its driven in the rain it has the possibility of having this junction box corroded. The seal for the harness running through the driver's fender sucks from the factory, which is what makes it happen.