Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Alternator fuse keeps blowing + melted fuse holder??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Alternator fuse keeps blowing + melted fuse holder??

like the title says.. about 2 years ago i mounted my battery to the rear trunk and so i installed a MIDI power distribution/ fuse block in place where the old positive battery terminal was

i ran the alternator, starter and 2 fuse box cables (8ga) to the output side of the distribution block and one 4 gauge power wire that ran from input all the way to the battery in the trunk

starter- 80a MIDI fuse

fuse box wire 1- 60a MIDI fuse

fuse box wire 2- 60a MIDI fuse

alternator- 80a MIDI fuse (i was told it was a 80a alternator)

it seemed to work fine for the first couple of months then i noticed that my battery light and brake light randomly came on and dash lights were dim.. so i went in and checked all my fuses from main fuse boxes (inside and engine bay) and all were fine then i lastly checked the distribution block and come to find out that the alternator fuse was blown and melted

so i replaced it with a even bigger 100a MIDI fuse and drove the car around and it help up for what has been a couple of months

...well yesterday the battery light and brake light popped on again and THIS time it melted all the fuses under there in the distribution block...i knew nothing was grounded out or else it would have blown right a away or a couple miles down the road but i double checked all the cables to make sure nothing is grounded out.. all checked out fine

replaced the whole distribution block with a AGU style fuse holder block

this time it popped after driving it a 10 miles home

any ideas on what it could be or what to check for???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here are some pics of what happened to the block

replaced with this

Last edited by Darkn3s; Feb 28, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hrmm. I'm intersted in this thread. Sorry nothing great to contribute.

You try upsizing the wires?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would look into the type of wire that you were using, to the alternator and then to thebattery itself..

also the little fuse on the link that attaches to the battery is a 100amp, so I wondering if there is something goofy in your starter circuit, or your voltage regulator in the alternator is on its way out, which could lead to blowing fuses.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your grounds. Looks like you may have too high of resistance. When I had issues with my 1g battery it was the ground had come slightly loose. A visual check it was good. I redid the ground and added another ground to help out.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

any updates? Im actually in the process of throwing a distribution block in and im interested it what caused this.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kian
any updates? Im actually in the process of throwing a distribution block in and im interested it what caused this.
to small of a fuse.. just get a 150amp circuit breaker
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Darkn3s
to small of a fuse.. just get a 150amp circuit breaker
Forgive my ignorance. What will a 150a circuit breaker do to solve this problem?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I had problems like this when I had the battery in the trunk, melted fuse box, fuse's going out, alternator's dying premature it was driving me crazy!

Got a small battery from AMS and but it back infront got rid of all those long wires never had a problem ever again.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yup, I had the same problem too. Tightened up my connections and now it's fixed. Just wondering what a 50 dollar circuit breaker would do to solve this problem.

I also soldered several connections, but personally I think making sure all the connections were solid solved the problem.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

I had this happen the other day. Was it that my fuses were just not tight enough or something else? Two of the outputs seem to have over heated, the alternator one was charred, the fuse connected to it was melted (but still functional). At this point I've removed the entire block and I am planning on getting an Evo X fusable link to replace it. What kind of blocks did you all use?