Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Headunit; no power after rewire

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Headunit; no power after rewire

So I was in chaining stuff around today and noticed that the previous owner had twisted/taped all the headunit connections. I pulled the harness, snipped, stripped, and soldered everything together and then put heatshrink around it all

Go to hook it back in, whala; no power to the headunit. Lights works, hvac works, etc etc, I just get no power to the headunit

I know it's wired the same way a before because I literally did 1 at a time to make sure it went back together the same

Going from the STOCK haness, the RED wire reads 12v with the ACC on, the YELLOW wire has no reading at all

Did I miss something when wiring this all back together? I'm 99% certain it's the exact same way as it was before I pulled the harness
Old Apr 7, 2012, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not to be a dick, but did you plug the power plug back in? and check the fuses. behind radio and in car.

also.. sometimes when you solder you may not get a good connection after it's soldered. i've done that before.

it sucks that our stock radio plug got cut otherwise you could probably get the aftermarket wire harness install.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

I have a prebuilt harness for kenwood and it's wired to a plug that plugs into the stock harness

The in-cabin fuse box doesn't have space for a fuse (slot 13) unless there is some special fuse thats supposed to go in there

Although I just tried to turn the some light on and got nothing...car started right up though. Checke fuse 11 in the engine compartment and it's good...fuse 22 and 23 (I think those two) that are in the funky yellow holder I don't know how to get out so I can't check them
Old Apr 7, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Also no power locks (windows work) and remote keyfob doesn't work
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

turns out it was the fuse under the hood, number 22 I think...the one that controls the radio. getting them out of the yellow "holster" they're in was a pain and i couldn't do it in the dark yesterday

surprised it hadn't blown earlier since the yellow wire on the headunit wasn't wrapped where the guy had connected the two and that much have touched frame on the way out and shorted

problem solved!