Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Immobilizer problem: sometimes are won't start WITH programed key

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Immobilizer problem: sometimes are won't start WITH programed key

I had my key programed last year in March and drove the car until November with no issues. In November I locked it away in a garage and when I pulled it out in February it has been having intermittent Immobilizer problems.

Sometimes I will go to start the car and the little green key light flashes on the cluster indicating I am not using the programmed key (when I obviously am). The car won't start until I let it sit for 30 seconds with the key out.

It is frustrating. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue? I would rather fix it than send my ecu off to have the Immobilizer removed.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump for answers
Old May 1, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two things, the magnet inside of the ignition tumbler or the Copper Sensor. They are both Part of the ignition lock, Id check the wires first off. Other then that you might need to replace the lock again and have the key reprogrammed if you so wish to keep the immobilzer.
The way it works is the key goes into the tumbler which has a magnet that fits around a finly strained copper pickup coil thats wound onto that plastic ring. once it picks up the signal it sends it to the ECU and it says ok to go. The copper on the Plastic rings is about as thin as a human hair, also it is very tempramental, if messed with.

Last edited by blowngasket; May 1, 2012 at 08:36 AM.