Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Best GPS-Based Car Security

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Best GPS-Based Car Security

Was looking through the forums and there's a lot of options out there for car security - I was hoping to compile all the options in one thread with pros and cons and get it stickied -

Can you guys provide input? There's LoJack, which isn't GPS-based of course, but also I've seen options now like AirIQ and Ravelco - can anyone provide feedback on which is the best of all of these?

Thanks

::

After some time, I'm probably just gonna go with something like a Viper 5904 - I'm not crazy about it to be honest, just want a thorough security system. The Viper VSS5000 is also an option.

Would be good to have some kind of hidden GPS inside. Something like this http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/s...kers-hands-on/, except more useful.

For those of us with DVD/Navs, can't there be some way to track where it is from the system's gps?

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This may sound stupid, but depending on your price range here is an option...

iPhone on a regular phone plan installed in/under the dash (like take dash apart, install, and put back together) hooked up to Accessory power and use Find My iPhone. If you work it out, it's actually cheaper and more reliable than some of the other systems out there.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The iphone would only give the location of the car and nothing else. We have a system in NZ called snitch. It can txt alert you when the car alarm goes off, goes over a certain speed (if someone else is driving the car), if the car has an accident etc. It also logs location and speed etc. A car was impounded here a little while ago and the impound owner took the car (turbo Silvia) for a spin and got caught out because of the snitch setup. A full setup should offer you all that for a monthly fee.
Old May 6, 2012, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

bump.. viper gps?

i suppose all of these systems will tap into the battery? that's a bit of a concern for me sicne i'm running a small battery
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
bump for more recommendations. i need to upgrade my security i had visitors and admirers eyeballing my VIII last night, the house has full surveillance but the car is under-protected.

this is one of the ones i am looking at http://www.clifford.com/Products/Accessories.aspx

and this
http://www.viper.com/BuildYourSystem/
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

whatever viper you decide to get buy it on amazon.

i just want something that will: tell me if my car starts moving and starts an alarm. any suggestions?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed, I'm interested as well
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
The iphone would only give the location of the car and nothing else. We have a system in NZ called snitch. It can txt alert you when the car alarm goes off, goes over a certain speed (if someone else is driving the car), if the car has an accident etc. It also logs location and speed etc. A car was impounded here a little while ago and the impound owner took the car (turbo Silvia) for a spin and got caught out because of the snitch setup. A full setup should offer you all that for a monthly fee.
i like this system...wonder if there is one in the US yet since this was a year ago
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

i think the makers of excalibur have something similar as well.