Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo IX - HID Retrofit options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Evo IX - HID Retrofit options

Hey guys,

When I had my Evo 10, I retrofitted some FX-R projectors and quality HID Ballasts and bulbs into the car and it made a huge difference. See my how to link here --> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eadlights.html

Now that I own a IX GSR, I'm looking to MAXIMIZE my light output as my daily/nightly commute takes me through some 2 lane rural areas with large populations of deer.

I know most use TSX projectors in their Evo 8/9's, but I'm thinking of making the switch to 4 bi-xenon projectors to really throw some light.

I believe the standard IX halogen projectors and reflectors are 3" so I'm thinking we may be able to fit some 3" bi-xenons in the housings.

Can anyone with good experience chime in on going this route?

Please I don't want to hear from people who "heard" or "read" or "paid someone else", I'd prefer to hear from people with first hand experience.

I'm also wondering if the useless fake fog light could be utilized with a 2" LED light as well to add a bit more...
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Most use TSX projectors because they're small and don't require cutting into the turn signal reflectors like the FX-R's do in order to fit

Why the need for quads? Bi-Xenon with a halogen high beam still there would give plenty of light at night in a rural area with high-beams on
Old Jan 12, 2015, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Most use TSX projectors because they're small and don't require cutting into the turn signal reflectors like the FX-R's do in order to fit

Why the need for quads? Bi-Xenon with a halogen high beam still there would give plenty of light at night in a rural area with high-beams on
I admit quads are probably overkill

I have never seen output from the TSX projectors, how do they compare to the FX-R?

I loved my FX-R's on my previous car so I'm inclined to go that route but if the TSX ones are just as good, I wouldnt mind a smaller easier install.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

TSX isn't quite as nice, probably 90% if i had to venture a guess, but they're a bit wider throw. their popularity is mostly due to their size and clear lens
Old Jan 12, 2015, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX isn't quite as nice, probably 90% if i had to venture a guess, but they're a bit wider throw. their popularity is mostly due to their size and clear lens
Besides Lightwerks, anyone reputable does em? Im too scared to mess with em. I bought JDM headlights.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, guess I'll pick up some FX-R's as they appear to be superior. I don't mind the extra work.

Thank you.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Go through this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hts-block.html

OP has FX-R projectors somewhere on these forums with what all needs to be cut so you can see what you're getting into first
Old Jan 19, 2015, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Ok, guess I'll pick up some FX-R's as they appear to be superior. I don't mind the extra work.

Thank you.

tsitalon1 Did you end up doing your FX-R retrofit? I ordered the same projectors in December (I have a GSR as well). I have yet to install them since its been so cold, but I will be taking friday off from work to do them as the weather is supposed to be nice! Success story, or no progress so far?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Nope not yet, to many interests and projects stealing time and money...hope to do it by the summer time.

Sounds like you are ready, do us all a favor and take some HQ pics of how you mounted them and what was required to fit them.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Tsx retrofit is much less light out put than a Fx35 retro . I own have a car with each
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:55 AM

Nope not yet, to many interests and projects stealing time and money...hope to do it by the summer time.

Sounds like you are ready, do us all a favor and take some HQ pics of how you mounted them and what was required to fit them.

Haha yup, there's always something.

I'll try to get as much detail on this install as I can. Headed to the hardware store after work in search of what I can make a custom bracket out of. I'm thinking some form of hard/thick plastic that I can cut into the proper shape and drill holes through to bolt the projector into place..securely. Basically how iEvoVII did it, which I couldn't seem to get a hold of him for more details, but I will be using these pictures that he posted in another thread as my guide: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...etrofit-3.html

If anyone has any suggestions on making the bracket for the FX-R 3.0 projectors on a CT9A style headlight housing, or this install in general, we'd love to hear from you
Old Jan 21, 2015, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

I am currently running quad HID with retrofit lamps (bi-xenon) in the high-beam location and plug-in HID in the standard lamp location. Wiring was a PITA, it isn't nearly as clean as hoped for but it does throw out a lot of light.

Note that it is also very difficult to get all 4 cut-offs to line up as well.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
I am currently running quad HID with retrofit lamps (bi-xenon) in the high-beam location and plug-in HID in the standard lamp location. Wiring was a PITA, it isn't nearly as clean as hoped for but it does throw out a lot of light.

Note that it is also very difficult to get all 4 cut-offs to line up as well.
Interesting, so which bixenon in the High-beam location?

Also, what do you mean by "plug-in HID in the standard lamp location", not an Ebay HID conversion right?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TJ_3310
Haha yup, there's always something.

I'll try to get as much detail on this install as I can. Headed to the hardware store after work in search of what I can make a custom bracket out of. I'm thinking some form of hard/thick plastic that I can cut into the proper shape and drill holes through to bolt the projector into place..securely. Basically how iEvoVII did it, which I couldn't seem to get a hold of him for more details, but I will be using these pictures that he posted in another thread as my guide: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...etrofit-3.html

If anyone has any suggestions on making the bracket for the FX-R 3.0 projectors on a CT9A style headlight housing, or this install in general, we'd love to hear from you
I believe Stevo made his brackets out of thick plexiglass sheets.

Honestly I'm more worried about cutting the existing shroud and replacing it to fit the FX-R's
Old Jan 22, 2015, 06:59 AM

I believe Stevo made his brackets out of thick plexiglass sheets.

Honestly I'm more worried about cutting the existing shroud and replacing it to fit the FX-R's
Went to Menards and picked up plexiglass last night, thanks!

And yes, having to trim and cut is quite a bit daunting -- but still possible doable. Trying to hack away to make room for the double din screen was scary too but just do a little bit at a time and you'll be fine. In this case it shouldn't be AS BAD considering that the existing shroud will be covered up anyway by the new shroud that you put over the projector. So the imperfections should not be visible.

Quick Reply: Evo IX - HID Retrofit options