Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Keyless Entry Stopped Working?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keyless Entry Stopped Working?

Went to open my EVO 9 this morning and did not hear the familiar horn beep. I also noticed the LED at the top center of the dash does not come on when I lock the drivers side door.

The only lock respnding with the key fob is the drivers side door when I remember the other doors would lock also. I tried my spare key fob with the same result.

Where do I start troubleshooting?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 09:40 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Is this all the OEM keyless or an aftermarket?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
^ doesn't sound like it. OEM doesn't have an alarm and/or indicator light on the dash unless that's a non-US-market feature
Old Dec 14, 2015, 01:46 PM

yah the led had me thinking aftermarket, but i have an 8 so i didn't know for sure. Yah its probably stuck in a different mode, (valet, silent, etc). You will need to know what kind of alarm it is before you can find the procedure for changing it back to the way you want it.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 02:41 PM

Didn't know the LED was not OEM so maybe it was added but the keyless entry is OEM with the factory key fob and it's not working.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 04:14 PM

Well if you have a LED on your dash that probably means you have an aftermarket installed. Regardless if you are using it or not, you should start by figuring out what that is, since it has apparently stopped working.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 09:43 AM

This morning when I arrived at work and locked the car everything was working again! The problem now is that I went to open the car to go out for lunch and even though the door unlocks, the alarm (keyless entry) does not disactivate and I can't start the car!. I removed the horn fuse to try and resolve the issue but it won't disactivate the immobilizer.

Maybe there is something loose in the door near the key cylinder? I'm stuck at work - what can I do short or towing it home?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:00 AM

As far as i know, the factory keyless does not stop the car from running. Based on the info you have provided, it seems you have an aftermarket alarm system that is malfunctioning. Since you have no idea what model it is or who installed it I would suggest you take the car to a local reputable shop that is a Directed Electronics authorized vendor/installer. Directed makes a good majority of aftermarket alarm systems, and the techs should be able to help get you sorted.

As for how to get out of your parking lot...most alarms will be installed to interrupt the starter signal, so you may be able to push start it to get you home. Im a little apprehensive about giving out too many details on how to defeat an alarm system on a public forum, so shoot me a PM if you have more questions.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something very similar happened to a previous car I owned that had an aftermarket alarm system. Intermittent working doors, alarm not disengaging, car not wanting to start, redneck jumping the car just to have the alarm go off while driving after a couple minutes.

It stumped A LOT of people. Turned out the fob's battery was low. Replaced battery, all went back to normal. Try replacing the battery.

- Kim
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:19 AM

My key doesn't have a battery - if it does, I surely don't see how I can replace it!
Attached Thumbnails Keyless Entry Stopped Working?-img_20151215_141525777.jpg  
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 7rrivera7
My key doesn't have a battery - if it does, I surely don't see how I can replace it!
Well thats not keyless, that is in fact a key. What he meant was the key fob, which is the little remote control you have to arm/disarm the alarm. The key will not disarm the alarm by itself. Most alarms do have a procedure you can use along with the factory key to disarm/disable the alarm though. Again you need to know what alarm you have to find the procedure.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:55 AM

Ok thanks. I was under the impression this was the "keyless entry" that comes from the factory since it locks/unlocks the doors and I assumed it also "talked" to the immobilizer.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Fob talks to door locks and has a battery, key talks to immobilizer and is powered by the ignition switch.

For the other doors to lock the cabin computer needs to receive a "driver's door is locked" signal. So, if the other doors do not lock this signal is missing. It may be that this signal is also used by the alarm. The alarm probably replaces or adds to the factory immobilizer.

Some people rebuild the door lock actuators. It is always the driver's door actuator that fails first. There is a little motor inside the actuator that can be had for about $10. But what they frequently find, upon gluing the actuator back together, is that now only the driver's door locks. This is because the stack height of the actuator has changed and the electrical contacts signalling door is locked do not make.

My guess is that you need a replacement driver's door lock actuator. If you decide that the actuator is the problem be aware that the screws in the back edge of the door have thread locker and can only be removed with heat.

Last edited by barneyb; Dec 15, 2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 7rrivera7
Ok thanks. I was under the impression this was the "keyless entry" that comes from the factory since it locks/unlocks the doors and I assumed it also "talked" to the immobilizer.
The key does talk to the immobilizer. If your having that kind of problem there is a green key symbol that will pop up on your dash when trying to start without the factory key.

I don't think that is your problem though. I think you have an aftermarket alarm installed that is messing **** up, and if you don't have a FOB at all then your probably gonna want to get one and have it programmed to what ever alarm is in there, or replace/remove the alarm altogether.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 05:09 PM

Thanks to all for the help and you guys were right - the car has an aftermarket alarm which was "tied" to the drivers side door lock/unlock signal. Unfortunately, the alarm failed and stopped responding to the door signal preventing me from starting the car.

Fortunately, I used to install car alarms so I looked under the dash for the ignition kill relay. Once I found it I bypassed it and was able to start the car.

Next step is to remove the alarm and return the car wiring to stock. Then I will have a reputable alarm installed by a professional.

I am open to suggestions on a good alarm system. My local Best Buy sells and installs the Viper brand which I've read is a decent but please give me your input.

Again, thanks for the assistance - I learn quite a bit today about my car!

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Stopped Working?