Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Horn Fuse Keeps Popping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Horn Fuse Keeps Popping

This is a little long, but please bear with me.

Alright guys, a couple of weekends ago, the wife and I drove the car out to go shopping. We had already stopped at several stores, and I used the key fob to lock the car each time...each time the horn sounded like it should.

When we stopped at our next to last stop, I hit the key fob and the horn made half a chirp and then nothing. So I go back to the car and insert the key into the switch and turned the ignition on to see if the horn worked still. Nope, no horn, so I assumed it blew a fuse.

We went on our way, and made our last stop before going home and when we got out of the car, it smelled horrible....like stinky electrical burn. Bad enough that I thought it was an electrical fire. So I ripped the hood open and started looking at/feeling wires, and at the fuse box. No smoke, no hot/burnt wires....nothing.

Got home, pulled the blown horn fuse out, and inserted another 10a fuse. Hit the key fob...fuse pops. Wanting to see if it was alarm related I pulled the fuse and put in another good one....reached in and blew the horn....fuse popped.

Haven't messed with it since, until yesterday. Pulled the bumper off and took off both horns, tested them with 2 wires and a battery...both are in working order. Looked at all my wire looms to check for a pinched wire, and all were good with no pinches or tears in them. Didn't see any burnt areas on the wires...smelled no burnt evidence anywhere (fuse box, horns, wiring harnesses.)

I then checked the horn relay as the manual suggests....horn relay is good, it clicks when engaged and has under 2ohms.

After this, I went to the steering wheel and pulled the cover off of the back to check the horn switch wires to see if something had pulled loose. All of the connections were good there, horn switch wire was still hooked up at the connection and at the horn itself.

I did a little reading, and it seems people have had problems with their clock springs.....but this was related to them being idiots and turning the steering wheel with the steering rack disconnected, in turn breaking the clock spring.

I have had this car for 9.5 years, and not once has the rack been disconnected, and the horn has always worked, and there is no SRS light on like these guys had.

What could be the issue? Could the horn part of the clock spring gone bad??? The car only has 72k on it.

Any help needed as I don't want to drive the car until I figure this issue out as I don't want it to torch itself if there is something bad wrong.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Check the drivers kick panel and get your soldering iron out. See the Gremlins sticky above in this section
Old Aug 4, 2016, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Check the drivers kick panel and get your soldering iron out. See the Gremlins sticky above in this section

Was just under there a few months ago doing my power wire for my battery relocation. All connections look perfect, no signs of water ever in this area.

Car has always been garaged, no rain... car never gets driven in the rain.

Seal for main wiring harness that goes out at this area and under the hood was perfect when I put my power wire through it. I used gray import sealer silicone to seal up around it for leak prevention when I put the power wire through....and it hasn't been washed since. So no chance of water getting to this area.

Any other ideas??
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Short somewhere. Finding it is the hard part but the wiring from the horn runs down though one of the connectors in that junction block. Don't have my schematic on my work computer. If you don't already have them I think EVOSCAN's site does.

I'd find the wire and start from the wheel out

GL man electrical is tedious but you'll find it
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Got the schematic in my factory repair manual. Doesn't look too bad...just don't want to rip apart all of my perfectly factory wrapped wiring looms
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe try checking the actual horn. Maybe something hit it and is causing a short somewhere up in the front bumper?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, please someone confirm to install these Hella Horns do you?

Need Relay
Dont need a Relay

Thanks
Old May 1, 2020, 01:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Always use a relay and seperate wiring harness for extra horns. Much easier to replace a fuse or a relay then track down a short out piece of wiring
If you have zero clue how to make up horn wiring harness with relay and fuse you can buy them pre-made off eBay fairly inexpensive and quite simple to wire up to your existing wiring harness