Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Catless VS high flow cat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaxR
It would be easy to go to court and say that a nearby gas powered lawn mower or generator was the source of the odor. Even if the cop visually observed a de-cat pipe he wouldn't be able to prove that it was not a catalytic converter without removing it and presenting it to the court. All you would have to do is argue that the cop made a mistake and mis-identified the cat converter. His entire arguement would be based on assumptions. Case dismissed.
Do you know this from experience or is this something you'd assume would happen? It's basically gonna be your word against the cops. If it's anything like traffic court, if the cop shows up with his police report, it's going to be hard to argue against it unless you have documented proof for your defense.

I don't think the lawn mower arguement is gonna fly since it's pretty much irrelavent in your defense. They'll just argue back saying the hours of operation of a lawn mower is far less than a vehicle.

I don't see how you can just go to court and justify why it's okay for you to break the law.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going catless is louder if you use an aftermarket exhaust. with the stock catback it sounds the same.

Duh....why would you put a cat delete with a stock exhaust? The whole reason for putting a HF cat or cat delete is to gain HP. And we all know turbo cars need better exhaust flow to gain that HP we so desire.

Question is what to go with and what's the difference in HP. As far as I know, HF cat with metal catalyst (Helix or Random Tech) are superior than the HF cat with ceramic catalyst in flow test.

My choice go with the Helix since some have reported CEL with the Random Tech. But, for the best power, cat delete but louder exhaust.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Even catless, we still emit less than those damned SUV's. I don't want to hear any environmental whackos talking smack.

If you absolutely do not want to go catless, go with the metal cat offered by gruppe-s. A metal cat is the only true high flow cat. That is why they are so expensive.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

What makes you think SUVs put out more junk than a catless exhaust? A good portion of them are just V6s, and they all have cats. While certainly, depending on state, there's a possibility that there's a different emissions standard, manufacturers don't make a 'this state only' model. I think perhaps you are misinformed.

Which is not to say I think running catless is a sin or anything. Just a stupid way to lose 2 grand.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

It would be interesting to see exactly what SUV's are aloud to put out as compared with what our cars put out. I wonder how you would go about getting this information.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

pardon my ignorance, but what is the inner diameter size of the ori cat in the evo? i would like to get it custom made since its quite hefty to get an aftermarket straight pipe in my country..

thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTiGuY
pardon my ignorance, but what is the inner diameter size of the ori cat in the evo? i would like to get it custom made since its quite hefty to get an aftermarket straight pipe in my country..

thanks.
The OE cat is about 2.5". It matches the hks downpipe perfectly.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info...... i'll get it tomorrow...
Old Sep 26, 2004, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Unless you drive at WOT all the time go with a high flow cat. I would really like to see what the judge does when you try thee "lawnmower defense".

Old Sep 26, 2004, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by simevo
Duh....why would you put a cat delete with a stock exhaust?
Because of the war in Iraq. Or maybe for more horsepower. You make the call.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
I don't think the lawn mower arguement is gonna fly since it's pretty much irrelavent in your defense. They'll just argue back saying the hours of operation of a lawn mower is far less than a vehicle.

I don't see how you can just go to court and justify why it's okay for you to break the law.
Exhaust gases are colorless, there's no way for a cop to identify the source of the odor, so I think suggesting an alternarive source is absolutely relevant in a defense.

If you don't like the lawn mower arguement then suggest that a nearby car could have been the source. Or maybe a motorized scooter or a generator.

Don't be alarmed. No one is breaking the law here. What we are talking about is a ticket for running catless. Its entirely possible that a police officer could mistakenly issue a ticket to a person for running catless when in fact the person is using an aftermarket cat. Or maybe the cop has bad vision and issued the ticket even though a person had a stock cat. In this case you may need to argue that the police officer was wrong and why he was wrong. Its not ok for anyone to break the law.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:08 PM

Post Personal Responsibility

The benefits of a catalytic converter are more than just a quiter exhaust, avoiding fines, and no CEL. They are in all cars sold today for good reasons, reducing CO, NOx, and hydrocarbons that form ozone. Every person educated on the health and enviromental effects of CO, NOx, and O3 should find it completely unresponsible to run without a catalytic converter. If you fully understand why these pollutants are harmful and still choose to remove your catalytic converter, you are basically saying I do not care about anyone's health and the enviroment. The only time I believe running without a catalytic converter could be warranted is on competitive racing track/drag strip sessions.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

It would be easy to go to court and say that a nearby gas powered lawn mower or generator was the source of the odor. Even if the cop visually observed a de-cat pipe he wouldn't be able to prove that it was not a catalytic converter without removing it and presenting it to the court. All you would have to do is argue that the cop made a mistake and mis-identified the cat converter. His entire arguement would be based on assumptions. Case dismissed.
right..
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Not to high jack but thought this was funny.

Well, a couple of days ago I raced(from 2nd gear to 5th gear) a new porsche 911 and beat him pretty bad. Next light, he said "man your car is loud"! Then he said, "man your exhuast fume is killing me, are you running jet fuel"?
Damm, I'm running a cat and someone is telling me my car smells like jet fuel. That's pretty funny. I told him "91 octane". He just shook his head and said "yeah right".....
Old Oct 14, 2004, 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I just ordered my UR Test Pipe, I was running the Invidia DP and Catback with stock cat, so we'll see how much of a difference there is with the test pipe.

Quick Reply: Catless VS high flow cat