Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Catless VS high flow cat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2004, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt the difference would be that noticeable maybe a couple hp but I'd say having a cat has more benifits than 1-3 hp
Old Oct 14, 2004, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

I am getting ready to put a 3" cat on my custom made 3" exhaust system because my wife will not ride in my car as it is right now. It is so incredibly loud! I look forward to not having a headache all the time while driving it. I know that not all Cat-less exhaust systems are as loud as mine, but for me, I need it.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 07:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil EV0
Well, I just ordered my UR Test Pipe, I was running the Invidia DP and Catback with stock cat, so we'll see how much of a difference there is with the test pipe.
How will you retune the system to compensate for the changes the test pipe will make in the A/F?

If you really want to determine the difference, you would need to tune the car beforehand, dyno test, install the test pipe, retune, and dyno test. Otherwise, whatever difference you see will almost certainly be influenced by the changes in A/F from the difference in exhaust system pressure.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 08:12 AM

If you really think catless on this car spills less pollutants than a big suv or truck, you seriously need to be educated.

If you're not on track, run a cat. It takes 15 minutes to swap it out, if you're slow.

Warren
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Well your most likely right, but im just getting all my mods done before I take the car to Vishnu. I will most likely get the x-flash wiithin the next few weeks, then I'll take it back for the 264's and custom dyno tune.

Originally Posted by Ted B
How will you retune the system to compensate for the changes the test pipe will make in the A/F?

If you really want to determine the difference, you would need to tune the car beforehand, dyno test, install the test pipe, retune, and dyno test. Otherwise, whatever difference you see will almost certainly be influenced by the changes in A/F from the difference in exhaust system pressure.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Yea i had to put a HF Cat on my system since i have no resonators and running straight full back.. with an o2 Elim. I did loose some top end power.. but the noise reduction made it worth it to me.. So its staying on..
Old Oct 14, 2004, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MasterTLT
The benefits of a catalytic converter are more than just a quiter exhaust, avoiding fines, and no CEL. They are in all cars sold today for good reasons, reducing CO, NOx, and hydrocarbons that form ozone. Every person educated on the health and enviromental effects of CO, NOx, and O3 should find it completely unresponsible to run without a catalytic converter. If you fully understand why these pollutants are harmful and still choose to remove your catalytic converter, you are basically saying I do not care about anyone's health and the enviroment. The only time I believe running without a catalytic converter could be warranted is on competitive racing track/drag strip sessions.
This is a weak point that you have made. Why does it matter if you go race the car, either way proves the lack of responsibility you have cited. Either way it is not right. But most of us don't really care!
Old Oct 14, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
if you guys are worried about a visual inspection get catshells put on your catdelete pipe. real simple guys.

if you guys are worried about fumes when you get pulled over, tell 'em you're running high octane gas. high octane (or leaded) gas always smells.

anymore issues?

i agree... taking off your cat is like saying you don't care about anyone's health. the environment is for everyone to live in.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find it funny how some people justify running catless by saying SUVs put out way more pollution. That's like saying, "Since that guy is a murderer over there, it's okay for me to rob people."
Old Oct 14, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15 hp difference after ditching the high flow cat for a test pipe. BR exhaust
Old Oct 14, 2004, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

you can get a shell like mentioned above or you could punch out an existing high flow,not as much back pressure but still; legal looking
Old Oct 14, 2004, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

I dont see while people argue about if its legal or not, honestly I dont care, if I get cited im paying the fine not anyone else so why should someone worry about another persons mods.

I think this thread has got way oof topic, its was supposed to be catless vs Hi Flow, now it whats legal etc...IMO its your car mod it however you want to and dont worry about what other people think about your mods.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evil EV0
I dont see while people argue about if its legal or not, honestly I dont care, if I get cited im paying the fine not anyone else so why should someone worry about another persons mods.
Because that sort of irresponsible attitude is what brings about the greenhouse effect. I don't want to be condescending, but seriously.. yes, you pay the fine, but you're screwing up the environment for everyone else (if you're getting fined for being catless). We all live on this Earth, so we should all take care of it.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Well sorry, I am part of the problem, but my car alone isnt going to make enough pollution to make you fry. You know how many companies pollute the athmoshpere, but are allowed to so that you can eat? Believe me I know this I work for a company that does it daily as many do.

Im done with this topic, is this Evom or an enviromental site!!
Old Oct 14, 2004, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

I wan't trying to make this thread into this...

All I was trying to say to the above posts is that if you pollute on the street or on the track what the hell is the difference. You are still against Ethics and it could be considered wrong for the environment and everyone else that has to breathe your car's fumes.

As for me, I don't really care. My car could pollute like crazy but what difference is my car going to make to the global environment? very Very Very Very Very little!

Quick Reply: Catless VS high flow cat