Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Choosing an EBC...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing an EBC...

I'm kinda torn up between the HKS EVC, Blitz SBC iD-III or the Greddy Profec-B Spec II.

I like the HKS unit but I have some questions. I have an MBC right now on the car and experience boost spikes every so often so I want something with better control. The spikes have got a bit worse now after I put in my Greddy Type-S (recirc). (It spiked w/ the stock DV, but its a bit worse now). The MBC is set to 20.5 psi, and I've seen it boost to about 1.6 bar on some occassions. I'd like to avoid this type of thing.

Does the HKS EVC provide good control of boost spiking? I noticed the greddy unit had something for it but didnt notice anything about that when I was reading up on EBC's on EVOM. I also notice my boost gauge needle kinda shakes a bit when its holding boost at about 1.4 bar... is that normal? Would it be more steady with an EBC?

I've read some negative things about the the profec so I'd rather go with the HKS or Blitz.

What do you guys think?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

I got my MBC and it holds boost perfect and was only $75 bucks from buschur racing.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

I use a blitz spec R (dual solenoid version) and it is the easiest EBC I've ever seen amongst the crowd...holds boost well and 0 spikes. I know the ID-III works very similarly as well and you can fine tune your gain setting to add a little more control to prevent spiking. I do believe that the HKS also has a gains setting probably as well and from what I've heard, looks also to be a good boost controller. If you want to control boost in different rpm zones or load you should try looking into apexi avc-r though. Have fun choosin. =)
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HKS EVC EZ 2 is a good one too. Much easier to set. Just hook it up, twist a knob and go. Like the old Greddy profec
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

greddy profec b spec 2 is ok. i had one and it would creep once in awhile, but now i have a avcr and i love it. the hks evc V works great as well. sorry i have a sti, but a ebc does the same thing on my car
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

HKS is the best one out there but also the most money. I have the Greddy and it works good with a little trial and error. It cool to play around with. If your not into tuning just get a mbc.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

not a big fan of ebc.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I have a Blitz DSBC in my Evo 6 and its the best boost controller I've ever used. Rock steady boost up to 32 psi!!
I have a Greddy B Spec 2 in my Evo 8 and I dun like it at all.. It creeps and its somehow wiggly in boost control sometimes.. the start boost function is really unnecessary.. I still like the old Profec B, boost control is good and easy to use but still the Blitz comes out tops.. heard the EVC EZII is just as good..
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

If you plan on running high boost stay away from the evc V. Im running an ems and the 5 bar sensor reads lower(absolute pressure) than the Evc and I cant get past the 36 psi limit on the ebc. I need to call HKS and figure out a solution, try to disable the boost warning all together.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:49 AM

I'm currently running the Blitz SBD-ID III. It's a great piece of equipment, as it allows a lot adjustability and control. I haven't experienced any boost spikes and like the way it holds boost. With proper tweaking I've been able to get the boost to hit just a hair of 19 psi and stay consistant all the way to redline. I don't have any experience with the other controllers, but I would definitely recommend the Blitz.

Eric
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks alot for all the input so far... definetly heading towards the HKS or Blitz SBD-ID III... not planning on running higher than 20-22 pounds at most.... any more input is very welcome aswell....

(PS, not interested in MBCs... I dont think they control boost spikes very well)
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

E-boost turbosmart
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i also have the blitz sbc ID-3, easy to use, and you can even hook it up to the power meter (to control boost by rpm) if you want!
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

I used to rock a Blitz EBC on my last car. That was the easiest boost controller to setup- dial in how much boost you want, and everything is done. It even shows peak boost, so you know if you have spiked. The layout is super simple, and it is a really easy piece to use with a lot of great features, especially if you have the power meter to go along with it.

I am currently running the HKS EVC V, and i like that as well. The setup is a little more difficult, especially since i have the KPA version, but all is fine. It has a great warning feature you can setup, so if you spike or have a wastegate failure, there is a very audible warning for you. I cannot comment on the features because i have not used them too much, but i have experienced no problems with the unit, and i ran it all summer.

Either way you can't lose. Both companies are highyly evolved, and there is plenty of support.

check out www.edoperformance.com for cheap prices on both of them. www.z1auto.com also does well on them- i got my HKS from them.

Good luck!