Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MOD order to get to 350 whp

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2004, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AUSS1E
warranty isnt an issue with me cause its voided anyway. But.....Its gonna be a daily driver too, so I dont want to be blowing stuff up and not having a car.
There are plenty of EvoM guys daily driving with 350+ whp. . The 4G63 can hold its own. If you want to be safe, then just make sure you leave the engine mods and tuning to a pro shop.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by h22accord94
this might sound stuped to some of you but why HEADSTUDS?????
From what I've heard and witnessed, You need head studs if your gonna run 22+ psi. I know 2 guys that have had to replace their 4G63s b/c their boost spiked to 25psi & 27 psi. Even if your running 23 or 24psi, it's really pushing it even though the internals are strong from the factory. Just my $.02.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kdogg
There are plenty of EvoM guys daily driving with 350+ whp. . The 4G63 can hold its own. If you want to be safe, then just make sure you leave the engine mods and tuning to a pro shop.
Yeah thats why I hit on 350whp. Plus u should be able to reel off a 12sec 1/4 or maybe even in the 11's if you wanted to. I think I would be happy with that.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my buddy is running 12.6 with only exhaust, intake, cams and tuned safc
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
yes, but if you change shifter bushings and lose the restrictor in the clutch.....are you voiding your warranty? i mean, that part is important. if i wanted to buy a fast car and spend 30k with no warranty...id buy a supra, or keep my car.
Jeff, if you're worried about warranty, then in all honesty the Evo might not be the car for you. Even if you leave it untouched and end up with a bum clutch from the factory ... you still have to pay. Mitsu can be very picky about how they enforce warranty rules. Now having said that, my dealer has been very cool about working on my Evo. They even installed the SS clutch line and removed the restrictor without voiding my warranty. However when they saw that I had new camgears and camshafts installed a couple of months later, they were like "hey you do know that your warranty is void now, right?" and I was like <shrug> "yeah, but it goes hella fast now too" It's all a matter of how much performance you want and what you're willing to pay for it. A better exhaust and the clutch line upgrade should not void your warranty (but check with the dealer before you buy).

AUSS1E - if you're looking to run low 12's and maybe even high 11's, then there are a number of ways to get there. Personally I am biased towards Vishnu and their stage 1+ setup will easily net you your goal. IMO AMS and Buschur also make nice packages, although with either one of them I'd still lean towards getting ECU management via Vishnu (unless you're going AEM EMS, in which case I'd highly recommend AMS). The bottom line is that with fuel management and a good exhaust, you should run mid to high 12's. Camgears and cams should then get you into the low to mid 12's. ... and of course then you start getting into the whole cat/no cat ... pump/race gas decisions ... choices, choices. Lastly, I'd recommend leaving the stock intake on your Evo. At the most get a panel filter (I run the HKS) for it. Aftermarket intakes mess up your air/fuel management and, unless you're custom tuned for a specific intake, you will generally lose power.

l8r)

Last edited by Ludikraut; Oct 1, 2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Like I said earlier. I dont have the stock stuff cause it had all the HKS Stuff when I bought it. That said I was thinking about getting some kind of EMS or reflash.
here is what im thinking
3. boost guage/pod
4. Boost controller
5. SAFC
6. Fuel pump
7. Cams
8. large intercooler.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

oops...forgot the downpipe....put that in 5 and shift the rest down
Old Nov 4, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

You really cant get mad at Mitsu for voiding the engine warranty if you put in cams. That's an internal engine performance mod! I'd do the same thing if I were Mitsu.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

BR Stage 4
Old Nov 4, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by binsquared
The best way to get a lot of power from simple mods = tuning

question #1: do both 264 and 272 cams make the car idle all retarded?
question #2: does the AMS Hi Flow Cat (or any Hi Flow Cat) work just as good as a cat delete?
question #3: for maximized performance, should all piping (from downpipe to exhaust tip) be the same diameter?
question1:Yes 264 and 272 bumpstick degrees are somewhat wild cams. it won't be extremely retarded but will deviate about 500rpm's-800.
question2:dunno who AMS is.
question3window crashed sonuva) all piping to evenly disperse gas pressure in the exhausting system, it would be best to be consistent in piping diameter throughout. even if you went 3->4" it wouldn't hurt it too much since the exhaust is under pressure though the exhaust gases might tumble and sound and make your car vibrate. the other way around? 4->3" no. its like a funnel.

Last edited by AltezzaBob; Nov 4, 2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:09 PM
Account Disabled

The first three mods that I did to my car where:
1: MBC + Boost Gauge
2: Buschur Turbo Back
3: HKS Racing Suction Intake

My next three mods will be:
1: AMS Front Mount Intercooler (With all new pipes throughout)
2: Cams
3: Fuel Pump

For the finishing touch....I will have AL Flash my Chip next time he comes to town......

I will rape every single American and European car on the road. I will hand them their a$$ on a silve plate. Hahahahah
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:21 PM
Account Disabled

Like I said earlier. I dont have the stock stuff cause it had all the HKS Stuff when I bought it. That said I was thinking about getting some kind of EMS or reflash.
here is what im thinking
3. boost guage/pod
4. Boost controller
5. SAFC
6. Fuel pump
7. Cams
8. large intercooler.
With that set up and the Dyno Flash you could expect 320 - 330 whp on 93 ocatne fuel. To reach 350 you would need fmic pipes a fmic and a few other misc mods to add up the last 20 whp.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:24 PM

roger that

Originally Posted by cet_euro
The first three mods that I did to my car where:
1: MBC + Boost Gauge
2: Buschur Turbo Back
3: HKS Racing Suction Intake

My next three mods will be:
1: AMS Front Mount Intercooler (With all new pipes throughout)
2: Cams
3: Fuel Pump

For the finishing touch....I will have AL Flash my Chip next time he comes to town......

I will rape every single American and European car on the road. I will hand them their a$$ on a silve plate. Hahahahah
Old Nov 5, 2004, 06:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Yeah thats why I hit on 350whp. Plus u should be able to reel off a 12sec 1/4 or maybe even in the 11's if you wanted to. I think I would be happy with that.
Want to know what you need to get 350whp on 93 oct as measured on a Dynojet with a minimum of hassle and issues? I'm there, so I can tell you what you need and what you don't need, and equally importantly, what you don't need.

- A better 3" exhaust system of your choice - a cat delete can give about 15+whp at this power level, but is illegal for street use.

- HKS Cams - The longer duration combinations will yield a bit more power and get you squarely to 350whp if cam gears are used.

- Lower IC pipe upgrade

- A capable means of dyno tuning - Forego S'afcs and MBCs in favor of something more capable, as well as investing in some time from a competent individual who has a proven ability to dyno tune it. FWIW, I'm using an Xede w/dyno tuning, and it works flawlessly.

Recommended: 255lph pump (insurance).

You don't need an aftermarket IC - doesn't help much at this power level
You don't need a standalone ECU ($$)
Old Nov 5, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1.Custom Flash
2.Turbo back
3.Boost Controller
4.BOV
5.Cams
6.Cam Gears