Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tuning with the HKS FCON V PRO ecu - 367 tq, 354 whp - pump gas, stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning with the HKS FCON V PRO ecu - 367 tq, 354 whp - pump gas, stock turbo

We just completed our first Evo 8 on the HKS F-CON V PRO ecu.

We have used the HKS F-CON V PRO many times in the past on other applications and this was our first trial on the Evo 8.

This particular car had the usual bolt on modifications such as cams, intercooler and pipes, intake (HKS), Exhaust, injectors and boost controller. This vehicle is a street driver on 93 octane pump gas and retains the stock head and block along with an unmodified stock turbo.

What impresses us most about the HKS F-CON V PRO is the total EXACT control this unit affords us in tuning. There is no hidden adjustments or funny stuff going on that we see with other similar products. It responds exactly as we set it. You get exactly what you dial in. The unit is 100 % repeatable and accurate pull after pull.

Evolution fans who follow the Japanese tuner magazines will note that almost ALL of the major Japanese tuning house evos such as the JUN, HKS and other famous evos ALL use the HKS F-CON V PRO.

Here is the pump gas dyno sheet.

We look forward to testing out this amazing ecu in the future on race gas and higher boost. However, for this particular customer it was not requeted. We feel with the precision accuracy of this ecu we could really make some amazing numbers on race fuel.

Finally, the idle, and driveability are all still as stock if not better and that is with the bigger injectors and cams. Also the stock ecu is retained and continues to act in tandem to control the a/c and all other functions. Basically you don't know the car is modified until you hit the gas !
Attached Thumbnails Tuning with the HKS FCON V PRO ecu - 367 tq, 354 whp - pump gas, stock turbo-fcon1.jpg  

Last edited by Pruven; Sep 30, 2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

great numbers guys!!!!!!!!!! it is nice to see a tune with the FCON, i have been a fan of the FCON for quite some time right now.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

what differences are there in the AEM EMS and the HKS unit?
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blitzbaster02
what differences are there in the AEM EMS and the HKS unit?

I think the HKS is like a pigyback like utech and xede right? BTW great numbers
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting... what was the AFR for the posted run?

l8r)
Old Oct 1, 2004, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS F-Con V Pro is actually a standalone.What result with AEM EMS with the same mods?

Last edited by Ang Wen Yan; Oct 1, 2004 at 06:40 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Is it MAF or MAP based?
Does it control fuel and Timing by it's self IE STAND ALONE?
Does it come with software for user tunablity? (Apexi Power FC does not)
Old Oct 1, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Is this differentstrokes' car? Glad to see he is about to get his car back sooN!
Old Oct 1, 2004, 07:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought tuning of this unit was reserved for HKS authorized resellers only.. Which was the reason I chose not to use one since I do my own tuning.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I thought tuning of this unit was reserved for HKS authorized resellers only.. Which was the reason I chose not to use one since I do my own tuning.
Yeah you have to have like a special key and crap from what I heard.
If I am correct HKS does not sell this for the US market correct?
Do you guys sell this unit?
Old Oct 1, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack

I think your right and they don't sell the unit on in the US Market. BTW Pruven is right all the TOP JDM tuners use this as there EM. Feast, JUN, MATCHLESS, so on.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

I will be posting up the a/f for this run shortly. The HKS V-pro is a standalone. It still uses the stock ecu for functions like anti-theft, a/c, cooling fan turn-on, emissions etc... It can be sold by HKS authorized Pro Dealers only and it is sold in the USA. It can only be tuned by an HKS authorised dealer. There are only about 10 Authorized Pro Dealers in the USA, and that is why there are not too many people with it. HKS has strict guidelines that must be followed in order to become a dealer. Some examples are: You must have HKS training, You must have past experience in specialized tuning, You must have a Dyno, you must have a scope and wideband, you must have more than one person who can tune, etc... HKS does this in order to keep the V-Pros quality standards high. Basicly if some one tells you they have a V-Pro in their car, you know its high quality and was tuned by professionals. No end user can touch the V-Pro programming which is also very good for everyone involved so there is no finger pointing. The V-Pro is the best stand alone out there for Japenese vehicles.

The V-Pro is not for everyone, It's only for people who want the best and have no problem with spending what it's worth.

The vehicle that owns these power numbers belongs to different strokes. We decided to go Map based and get rid of the Maf, however you can use the Maf to keep costs down, but the outcome won't be as rewarding.

Again, I will be posting the dyno plots shortly.

Thanks for reading,
Dan @ Pruven
Old Oct 1, 2004, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

from what i have seen, the v-pro does not seem to be that much more expensive than other quality stand alone engine management options out there. Can you give us an idea of the amout of dyno time it requires to properly tune this unit?
Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

By the time you buy the unit with the harness along with the sensors needed to make it map based you are looking around the $1800 range. With Install and tuning, which is the only way we can sell the unit, you are looking at around $2500 installed and tuned with everything. Not a bad deal considering what you are getting. There is probably about 4 hours of dyno time to perfect the tune. I'm still trying to get my scanner to work to post up the dyno plots with air/fuel. I can tell you though, the a/f fuel on that run was about 11.2 to 1.

Dan @ Pruven Performance
Old Oct 2, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

hey guys

instead of the guy who tune the car I will tell you Ive read just about every stand-alone unit out there and when Dan @ Pruven told me he could get me a V-pro a happy as pig in sh*t the power comin out of the v-pro is unreal my favorite part and my best investment in my car I love it and wouldn't trade it for any other stand alone unit out there
thanks again Dan

Quick Reply: Tuning with the HKS FCON V PRO ecu - 367 tq, 354 whp - pump gas, stock turbo