Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stalling problem when coming to a stop.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2004, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling problem when coming to a stop.

My car will sometimes stall as I approach a stop sign, stop light, or just when I simply slow down. Has anyone else experienced this problem? My car seems to run fine most of the time as long as I'm not coming to a stop or trying to slow down. It has always felt like it's wanted to die but now with my current mods it does. My mods are, full turbo back exhaust with cat-delete, injen cold air intake with hard-pipe, and a greddy type-s bov. Why is my car doing this? It currently has about 12.5k miles on it.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try putting your stock intake back on and see if this stalling problem goes away.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'd suspect either the intake or the bov. I have stalling problems with my bov.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

There have been numerous threads regarding stalling and an aftermarket BOV. Is your BOV recirculating back into the intake tract or VTA?
Old Oct 3, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car has done this stock as well as with the HKS RS and it still does it with the JDM MR diverter valve. It has not gotten better or worse since the day I bought the car.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Try the stock BOV, check for leaks and make sure all the vacuum lines are connected. I doubt it's the Injen intake kit since my friend and I just installed one yesterday and we don't have any problems.

Or

It might need a light tune up: new spark plugs.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

If you are recirculating then it might be a leak.

Put the stock BOV back on and see if this still happens. Also check you MAF and make sure the connections are good etc.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

I got the HKS rs intake and stock bov and i've never stalled once because of it so i'd check your bov.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

i had the same problem. using a forge bov installed backwards with the blue spring was my only fix. the stock valve still made me stall.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO
There have been numerous threads regarding stalling and an aftermarket BOV. Is your BOV recirculating back into the intake tract or VTA?
Thanks to everyone for all of the input. Like I said before, my car always seemed to hesitate or come close to stalling out before when it was totally stock. I've had my exhaust, intake, and BOV for about 3-4 months now and just recently installed the cat-delete about a month ago. My BOV is recirculating back into the the intake tract. Should I change it to VTA? I was under the impression that having it VTA would stall it. I've put some miles on it these past couple of months taking it to Ft. Leonard Wood, MO and to Ft. Wayne, IN all from Dallas, TX. The first time it stalled on me was in Indiana while trying to back into a parking spot. It took a while for it to start up but once it did the check engine light came on and didn't go off until the next day while driving back to Missouri (it hasn't came on since). My car was at the dealership a day or two before that happened getting the 11k service done to it and everything checked out fine. I'll try out everyones advice one by one and see what happens. Thanks again for the info .
Old Oct 3, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no.. you can't VTA.... you have the greddy type-s.... did you do the sping mod yet? i bet you thats the problem.....
Old Oct 3, 2004, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

My first thought is the BOV. The TypeS caused stalling on my car also, but the spring mod helped a lot. If you haven't done the spring mod, I would say to do that first and then check all your clamps.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

I was told that if I wanted to VTA all I have to do is cap off the outlet to the intake tract which looks pretty simple even for me. When I had it installed they asked me if I wanted it to recirculate for a quieter sound or to VTA for a louder sound. I dunno....anyways I haven't done the spring mod yet, didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. I'll try that before doing anything else. Thanks again for the help everyone!!
Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlownIncome
I was told that if I wanted to VTA all I have to do is cap off the outlet to the intake tract which looks pretty simple even for me. When I had it installed they asked me if I wanted it to recirculate for a quieter sound or to VTA for a louder sound. I dunno....anyways I haven't done the spring mod yet, didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. I'll try that before doing anything else. Thanks again for the help everyone!!

Yeah its just about the sound level you want...
You havent read the posts on VTA BOV's vs. diverters?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

too hard

your valve spring is to hard----change to a softer and then adjust the screw so it just closes completely at idle. i had the same problem....
its too rich when you lift because the valve is not opening to allow the air back into the intake stream,,,which has already been compensated for by the ecu...
regards rick

Quick Reply: Stalling problem when coming to a stop.