Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

All about CAMS....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All about CAMS....

Ok, someone enlighten me please. What is the difference in the HKS 264 and 272 cam?
Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to be joking you couldn't find this anywhere. 264's are about power throughout the entire RPM band and 272's are for more power up top. You can make more power using 272's, but it would mostly be for drag strip car making some serious power. I'm sure there is more to it.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

did you even try to search
Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Have fun trying to get an answer, everyone has a different opinnion on cams. Trust me i hve tried to make up my mind, come to find out i bought all 4 . Let me see i have 264I,264E,272I, & 272E.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

diferent valve duration
Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Guack007
did you even try to search
Right
Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VTECH8TR
Have fun trying to get an answer, everyone has a different opinnion on cams. Trust me i hve tried to make up my mind, come to find out i bought all 4 . Let me see i have 264I,264E,272I, & 272E.
Wanna trade?

272i for your 264i.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

pisses me off when ***ers dont even try to search (especially newBs)

Edit: I was pretty drunk when I made this statement and dont really remember it

Last edited by Guack007; Oct 8, 2004 at 10:35 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Difference in them are the duration. One is a 264 and one is a 272 duration. This is how long the valves stay open. Besides that they are the exact same. You will get more top end with the 272's but you will get more torque with the 264's. You also have to remember though that the more duration is not always the best. You start to get overlap which will make you actually lose HP. So its better to get a good combination of duration and lift. More lift will actuall give you the same effect without causing overlap. The lift is how much the valves open letting more air in and out but you can have a lower duration and still get the same effect since more air will go in due to them being open wider. Anyway HKS dont give you a option in lift so im just talking out of my a$$ now.

Chris
Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Difference in them are the duration. One is a 264 and one is a 272 duration. This is how long the valves stay open. Besides that they are the exact same. You will get more top end with the 272's but you will get more torque with the 264's. You also have to remember though that the more duration is not always the best. You start to get overlap which will make you actually lose HP. So its better to get a good combination of duration and lift. More lift will actuall give you the same effect without causing overlap. The lift is how much the valves open letting more air in and out but you can have a lower duration and still get the same effect since more air will go in due to them being open wider. Anyway HKS dont give you a option in lift so im just talking out of my a$$ now.

Chris
What a nice guy. I really mean that.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII

Chris
Duration?...How long they're open? ...what's the units for 264/272? What does that number actually mean? A lot of talk and smack around here but little tech to back it up.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

HKS 264 :
Duration of 264 deg
Duration of 206 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.8mm intake / 10.2mm exhaust

HKS 272 :
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 214 deg @ 1mm

Difference is higher duration between the cams
Old Oct 7, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks to the view people with answers, i appreciate it. to you other jackasses who would rather pretend like they know the answer, and say search, than to actually give it to me......you all suck.

have you ever tried to do a search on here? if i type in cams, the first 100 threads that come up are where people are listing their mods and talking about getting cams and all that ****. NONE OF THAT ANSWERED MY QUESTION.

and id be willing to bet i know more about modding an engine than any of you assclowns that called me a noob or told me to search. can't have good informative discussions on this forum because dip****s like yourselves wanna throw your useless .02 in.

again, thank you to the intellegent people who answered my question.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mayhem
Duration?...How long they're open? ...what's the units for 264/272? What does that number actually mean? A lot of talk and smack around here but little tech to back it up.
OK SMART A$$ how is this for backing it up?

Duration = Duration refers to how long a valve is opened in relation to crankshaft rotation. This open valve time period is expressed in degrees of crankshaft rotation. So, a cam specification of 220 degrees duration simply means the cam holds the valve open for 22 0 degrees of crankshaft rotation.

Lift = While duration refers to how long the valve is opened, cam lift is used to determine how wide the valve is opened.

If the valves are not opened wide enough, they will cause a restriction for the air trying to enter or exit the cylinder. However, opening the valve past a certain point will not increase the flow to (or from) the cylinder.

Seperation = Separation refers to the spacing between the intake lobe and exhaust lobe on the cam shaft. This spacing (or separation) is expressed in degrees on the cam, not on the crankshaft. So, a 108 lobe separation means the intake and exhaust lobes are 108 degrees apart from each other on the cam shaft.

This spec by itself really doesn't mean anything. If you hear someone else is using a cam with 108 separation, don't think that you should use cams that only have 108 separation!

Separation, just like centerline, is another way to tie the duration to the crankshaft rotation and end up with valve events. This spec is a little more complicated though, because it is in cam shaft degrees and the crankshaft rotates two degrees for each one degree of cam rotation. Also, if the cam has been installed either advanced or retarded, the valve events will be different.

Centerline = The cam's centerline specification is used to tie the valve timing to the crankshaft's rotation. This spec is expressed as the number of degrees the crankshaft must rotate from top dead center until the cam has rotated to the peak (or centerline) of the lobe.

The centerline spec and the duration spec can be used to calculate when the valves open and close in relation to the crankshaft's rotation. When the valves open (or close) relative to the crankshaft's rotation is known as valve events or valve timing. Some cam manufacturers will provide valve event information and others only provide duration and centerline information

MAYBE YOU WANTED SPECS ON THE CAMS??

HKS 264:
Duration of 264 deg
Duration of 206 deg @ 1mm
Stock valve springs OK

HKS 272:
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 214 deg @ 1mm
Stock valve springs OK

JUN 264:
Duration of 264 deg
Duration of ___ deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.5mm
Upgraded valve springs required

JUN 272:
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 235 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.8mm

Tomei Poncam:
Duration of 260 deg
Lift of 10.7mm intake / 10.2mm exhaust
Stock valve springs OK

Tomei Procam:
Duration of 260 deg
Lift of 11.5mm

Piper Ultimate Road cams:
Duration of 265 deg
Duration of 217 deg intake / 211 deg exhaust @ 1mm
Lift of 11.5mm intake / 10.8mm exhaust

Piper Rally cams:
Duration of 265 deg
Duration of 217 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 11.5mm

Piper Race cams:
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 224 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 12.0mm

PEOPLE LIKE YOU **** ME OFF!!!!

Chris
Old Oct 7, 2004, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

gotta love it when people act like as*es over someone asking a simple question. GSUJEFF55 does have a good point about the search option. i tried doin search on cams as well as other things. most of the time u end up wit no info at all, except for what people have installed in there cars. hopefully the mods will clean up the forums soon.

ya really act like its that hard to answer someones question without giving an attitude. if u get mad over a repeated question then dont reply to it. it may be repeated to you but not to the person asking it.

this has been a rant, now we return u back to your topic.

by the way thats for the info on the cam lift and duration too. even though i still dont understand.

Quick Reply: All about CAMS....