Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What are the benefits of cam gears?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What are the benefits of cam gears?

I'd like to eventually get some new cams installed and Im wondering whether its worth the money or not to purchase cam gears also? Im not 100% sure which cams I will be buying, buth the revolver setup sounds very interesting. I will be using UTEC to tune the car. Are the cam gears worth the money performance wise? I could care less the appearance.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

it's obviously for performance, to advance or retard the timing. And since the 4g63 uses DOHC you can adjust the intake and exhaust separatly (overlap time can be changed)
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

There are some great threads on EvoM.n about this topic. Most of them talk about dialing the cams in by ritarding or advancing the timing.

You can enhance the top end by ritading the timing or improve the low end by advancing it. I don't mean to imply that it's that simple, because there usually are comprimises to consider. It takes work to figure out the best settings for your car. Striking up a deal with your local Dyno would be worth while. If a tuner at the Dyno (or bring your own tuner if you can find a capable one)... knows what they are doing, the cams can be adjusted as close to maximum benefit as possible for YOUR engine.

One very capable tuner that I know said that he wouldn't put aftermarket cams with out adjustable cam gears because of the the unique personalites that different engines display.

Lot's of theory about it, but in the words of another poster on another subject: They make your car go zoom better .... Adjustable Cam Gears, especially at the current prices on the Fidanza's, are a great value right now... (185 shipped in some cases, I paid 209 + shipping, and they were a bargain at that price.)

Good luck
Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

To give you an idea on what they can do other than their intended purpose of fine tuning the performance characteristics you want as the others posted but also to make sure your at true zero on timing when you start tuning.
Zero is not always zero on every cam. Some companies just pull a few test cams during the grinding process. Some have better quality standards than others. Some have better and more accurate machines and or people doing the work. So you can have variances between different cams and from different companies. I've seen cams off by 7 degrees brand new. If you think about it that is like having your cams skip a tooth on the cam gear.

Another thing it helps correct is deck height issues from milling the head and or block.