Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

6-speed conversion?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2004, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-speed conversion?

hey everyone, i own a 04' evo rs and was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to swap out the five speed for the us mr tranny? i have searched the forum but i cant seem to get my answer so any input would be great guys. i called mitsu but they dont even know what tha h3ll an mr is.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Why in the world would you want to do something like that? The 5 speed tranny is much stronger than the 6. If I were you I would maybe look into getting the ACD, but even that is just another component that is destined to break.

Your car has a good solid drive train. I would just save your hard earned money for some power modifications.

Good luck.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADWRX
Why in the world would you want to do something like that? The 5 speed tranny is much stronger than the 6. If I were you I would maybe look into getting the ACD, but even that is just another component that is destined to break.

Your car has a good solid drive train. I would just save your hard earned money for some power modifications.

Good luck.
because i commute more than i race and that extra gear would be nice but is your answer a yes or no? anybody?
Old Oct 9, 2004, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

It's too early to tell, since the MR isn't even out yet.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the question is can it be done. I think the question is, do you have enough money to do it?
Old Oct 9, 2004, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

I know the parts manager @ our Mitsu dealership and he made it sound like it shouldn't be a problem, so I would think so?
Old Oct 9, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
I don't think the question is can it be done. I think the question is, do you have enough money to do it?
first off yes i do have the money. second, the only thing about the MR i want is the tranny. third im sure its cheaper than trading in my RS. but thanx for the anxwer "kfive"
Old Oct 9, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RSVIII
first off yes i do have the money. second, the only thing about the MR i want is the tranny. third im sure its cheaper than trading in my RS. but thanx for the anxwer "kfive"
Hey Mr. Sensitive, what I meant was anything can be done if you got the cash. I am not questioning your bank account, like I care.

So basically my answer was, "Yes, it can be done."
Old Oct 10, 2004, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, sure it could be done, but you need the complete gear box including the housing, you can not change just the internals as they need more space than the 5-speed box has. Also you would probably need to change the shifting linkage as well. The 6-speed box is a bolt on fit, at least that’s what I was told by Ralliart Germany when I asked some time ago. They also said that they had ordered three complete boxes to test with. I’ll drop them a mail and ask how it worked out.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

OK here is the big deal.

From what I understand the transfer cases on all of the new model will be way different from our current models. They removed some stuff from the car to get it in there.( Whether or not they removed the stuff for space of cost savings is still up in the air since no one can compare yet.) You may need to replace at least the tranny, maybee the trasnfer case, an dpossibly the drive shaft if it has changed with the new cars.

Maybee possibe but very very expensive if you cant get a donor car. You may have to fabricate brackets etc.

XFER case 1500?
Tranny 3500?
Labor etc.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

you are not going to get that much better mpg if you do this. I think it would be a waste of money.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the final drive for both trans are almost identical.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 07:29 AM

Since it is still an evo 8 and they are still offering the 5 speed it should be doable with factory parts. That is unless they modified the firewall or something like that. The question is how many and which ones? lots of minor parts from mitsubishi could really add up.

As far as cost, I am looking at purchasing a ~10k milage 03 used car vs a new MR thats a $10,000 diff. I would drive this car for 10 years so the resale depreciation doesn't matter much. The same could be said for someone selling a car to buying an MR for the tranny.Plus if I upgrade the 5 speed to a helical front diff that is probably a grand plus labor. The used 5 speed could be sold offsetting part of the cost. This would leave me more money for mods, or at least more tires

Does anyone have any direct knowledge that the 5 speed is stronger? IE have you seen the gears or their measurements? Do you know of 6 speeds having failed on cars where a 5 speed has held up? This would be a factor for me.

Please keep the info on this comming.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

All of the information that everyone has read or seen points to the possibility of a weaker tranny and gears. The gears will be smaller hence the possibility of weaker gears.

If you dont want to believe everyone than do your own reaseearch and find out on your own. i gave you a good idea of what might be involved and also stated that no one has had both side to side so trhey dont know 100%.

More than likely, the 6 speed evos will be slower(Int the 1/4 miles) than the moddeed 8's with 5speed gears. Also it may be just as fast on the top end since we do not know 100% what the final drive and gear ration will be..

If you want to save money on commuting, get a good air filter, and a mild retune to lean out the pig rich stok AFR's.

is it possible probably, but not ilkely very easy. but then we wont know until someone gets tow side by side on a lift and see's what the exact differences are.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 08:26 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

I wonder if you could just put in a taller 5th in the stock transmission?

Quick Reply: 6-speed conversion?