Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bshr stg 4 & br440.. 1g BOV cant handle it

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bshr stg 4 & br440.. 1g BOV cant handle it

I have bshr stg4 with the BR 440.

Custome dyno tuned at vishnu

The bushur upper IC pipe came with the crushed 1g BOV and it doesnt seem to be able to handle the boost(22 psi). Planning to run 25 PSI peak in a few months as well.

Anybody with this setup or something similar have any reccomendations?

What can displace more air faster and what can handle this much boost?

I have heard about the greddy type S doing pretty good but havent heard of any others in regards to this much power.

BTW I only am looking for a recirculating BOV not VTA

Any insight or opinions would be great.

Thnx
Old Oct 10, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

what makes you think its not holding? they usually hold till 25 psi,no problem. Mine does.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

stupidity... I do not know anything about these BOV's.

Ever since i got the BR 440 tturbo kit ... It flutters a lot under light load and I was just assuming it couldnt push enough air out fast enough.

I wasn't basing it on anything. I was just assuming it wouldnt be able to hold at 25 PSI.

I will stop being lazy and I will run a pressure test on the BOV and see what it can handle.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

My main concen is that the 1G BOV can not quickly purge enough air in between shifts to prevent the spinning turbine (turbo) from rotating in the opposite direction.(aka purpose of a bov) In other words, I believe I am trying to purge a higher volume of air than what the 1G BOV is capable of.

Please correct me if I am wrong......
Old Oct 10, 2004, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

i'm sure BR wouldn't offer it with there stages if it couldn't hold
Old Oct 10, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Call buschur tomorrow or pm him. He is always willing to help out anyone with his products.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds strange to me. I use a crushed 1G and have zero problems with it, even at higher boost with my big turbo. Also, the 1G should be able to evacuate all the air you can throw at it. Mine does. Good luck, and like someone suggested, call Buschur. They will no doubt be able to fix you up.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

I guess I mis typed but I am not having problems with it I was just curious if it could handle it. I was just assuming it couldnt. The only thing is that it flutters from time to time but I am sure all BOV's do.

Thnx for the input
Old Oct 11, 2004, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

I've got the BR Stg 4 with the BR440. My 1G leaks enough that I can hear it flutter at full boost. If I let off sightly to lower the boost and then get back on it it will sometimes close. Occasionally it leaks badly enough to cause boost to taper. I'm looking for alternatives at this point. I have not yet contacted Buschur.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

It's crushed right?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
If you hear fluttering under acceleration it isn't that the valve can't handle it sounds like you may be experiencing compressor surge.

You may have crushed the valve too much too. This is common and will cause the valve to turbo to surge a little when you lift under light load.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 11, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
If you hear fluttering under acceleration it isn't that the valve can't handle it sounds like you may be experiencing compressor surge.

You may have crushed the valve too much too. This is common and will cause the valve to turbo to surge a little when you lift under light load.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
As far as I know the valve is not crushed. I'm running it as recieved from Buschur as part of the staged upgrades.

Perhaps I don't understand compressor surge as well as I should. I thought compressor surge only occurs when the throttle is lifted at high boost and then only if the BPV/BOV doesn't open or open quickly enough. In my case I only hear (not feel) the flutter/leaking when under wide open throttle and only when boost reaches 20 psi or so. Accelleration remains smooth with no jerkiness although I do see boost taper. Like I said, I can modulate the boost a bit and get the valve to seal. Also it's an intermittant problem.

I might have a bad valve. Dunno.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:12 AM

Compressor surge is also caused by the turbo spooling to quickly, which causes to much air to be pushed through the parcially open throttle body, and causes the turbo surge.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Well, then a surge caused by partial thottle is not my problem since I definately only hear the fluttering release of pressure under wot.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:35 AM

Ok, I thought it was leaking under partial throttle. If the bov is not crushed, crush it. I have ran over 25lbs of boost on a crushed 1g bov, so the valve is capible of running high boost. Does it flutter under full throttle acceleration or just when you let out?

Quick Reply: bshr stg 4 & br440.. 1g BOV cant handle it