Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

loss of power, boost, issue with timing belt HELP.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loss of power, boost, issue with timing belt HELP.

Hello all,

Again an issue arises with my cams. Last night, I parked the car, everything was fine. Later on I drove it and it went from 320 AWHP to about 200. I was immediately concerned that my timing belt jumped a tooth or that the butcher job the install shop did on my exhaust cam became loose and allowed the gear to move. This morning, I checked and it was very confusing. It seems the timing belt moved, but by 1/2 a tooth. Meaning it is hard to tell if it is correct or not. With the marks aligned on the crank, the Vishnu red marked tooth is to the right of the valve cover mark, but if I move it directly in front of the mark, the crank almost goes to the mark before TDC. I seem to remember it being more aligned. Then, my idle is much smoother, I am making -53 at idle (it was -39 yesterday), my car seems quieter and overall I am making less boost. The only thing I can tell for sure is that the timing belt seems loose to me as if the tensioner was not doing it's job. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Sigfrid
Old Oct 13, 2004, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruzs
Hello all,

Again an issue arises with my cams. Last night, I parked the car, everything was fine. Later on I drove it and it went from 320 AWHP to about 200. I was immediately concerned that my timing belt jumped a tooth or that the butcher job the install shop did on my exhaust cam became loose and allowed the gear to move. This morning, I checked and it was very confusing. It seems the timing belt moved, but by 1/2 a tooth. Meaning it is hard to tell if it is correct or not. With the marks aligned on the crank, the Vishnu red marked tooth is to the right of the valve cover mark, but if I move it directly in front of the mark, the crank almost goes to the mark before TDC. I seem to remember it being more aligned. Then, my idle is much smoother, I am making -53 at idle (it was -39 yesterday), my car seems quieter and overall I am making less boost. The only thing I can tell for sure is that the timing belt seems loose to me as if the tensioner was not doing it's job. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Sigfrid
Sigfrid check the integrity of the tensioner we have seen failures with and without the tool first see if the black hydraulic tensioner seals have been leaking and next that the tensioner pulley is taught and the nut is torqued. Andrew at Dyno4mance has provided us with good troubleshooting if these companents are comprimised. If it skips at all it will skip again!This is an ASAP fix