Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Review: ACT Street Clutch + Fidanza

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: ACT Street Clutch + Fidanza

Hey all,

I've got about 750 miles on the new clutch and flywheel combo, so I thought it was time to write up a quick review for those who are considering upgrading the clutch on the Evo.

I'm 38 years old, I drive my car every day in stop/go traffic, and I like to go fast on the weekends. I burnt my original clutch out while drag racing a few weeks back at about 24K miles. Time for an upgrade.

My goals were to find a clutch that is first drivable every day in stop/go traffic. Secondly, I wanted something more durable than the stock clutch so I could still enjoy the full potential of my car at SCCA events or the drag strip a few times a year.

Up until this point, my car is stock with no modifications.

I did some research and decided that the ACT Street Clutch was the price/performance solution I was looking for given my application. I was planning to mod the car up to maybe 350 HP, so I wanted to plan ahead. The ACT will handle up to about 400 reliably.

I decided after some reading to try the Fidanza lightened flywheel also, and I bought them as a package. I contacted several speed shops for the best deal on installation. The install was just under $400 and included a SS clutch line. Total investment, parts and labor, was about $1200. This compares to the $1003 the Mitsu dealer quoted for a stock clutch replacement (using original flywheel).

I had some immediate problems with shudder under torque, but this turned out to be a loose engine mount bolt. Tightened and fixed.

At first, there was some metallic chattering noises coming from the clutch when the engine was starting and cold. After about 300 miles, those noises have resolved.

Clutch pedal pressure is increased only slightly. In fact, if I did not know this wasn't a stock clutch, I wouldn't be able to tell. This clutch is very, very drivable in stop/go conditions, and when you want to go fast, the extra clamping pressure is evident. The car feels more sure-footed, transferring power to wheels aggressively, even while accelerating hard up steep hills.

I expected the Fidanza Flywheel to make the engine rev quicker, and maybe to cause some jerkiness in first gear in slow traffic. The engine does rev slightly quicker, and there is a slight perception of more usable power, but to be honest I don't notice a huge difference from stock. I like the flywheel, but I am not sure it is worth the $300+ unless the stock flywheel is thrashed and needs replacement. The expected jerkiness in first gear is not a problem. The car is very tame under everyday driving conditions.

I have not had the car to the dragstrip yet, but from my recent experiences with the clutch, I believe it will be more durable and give me a better launch at the strip. This clutch is much grippier than stock and gives the car a powerful confidence under hard acceleration.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this smooth combination. The ACT street disc + Fidanza flywheel is a solid upgrade over stock parts, and only slightly more expensive than replacing the stock gear. Sticking with the stock flywheel should actually save you money if you can get a good deal on the install.

DISCLAIMER: This article is my opinion and subjective observation. Please keep in mind that the stock clutch in the Evo is relatively weak to protect more expensive transmission parts. Use good judgment when slamming your clutch.

Hope this article was helpful,

John

PS. Any other observations by Fidanza/ACT owners... please post your experiences here!
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

thanks
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Nice written review . This is definitely one of my next mods.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

good write up! Ha! i made the right choice for not upgrading my flywheel when i replace my stock clutch.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

nice
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds good; The same setup is going in my car with the exception of a SHEP rebuilt Tranny. I shoudl have mine back thursday or Friday at the latest.

Whoot
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Great review!
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Johng316,

Nice review

stevEVO8,

Make sure you give us some details on the Shep tranny rebuild!
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

this is the clutch and flywheel i plan on goin wit. i just killed my clutch
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Nice review

I will keep this in mind when I am at the point of replacing my stock units.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

good review i have an ACT coming.i didn't do the flywheel,so i'm glad you mention that you don't think the flywheels worth it.after reading about the flywheel in other threads,that how i came upon not buying it.anyways,good review
Old Oct 13, 2004, 01:21 PM
Banner Sponsor

Fidanza Flywheels + Cam Gears for Evo 8 in stock call us toll free 1-877-858-7272
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Johng316,

Have the same set up in my evo and love it. I will say that I noticed a good deal of improvement in revs from the flywheel, but that's just my opinion. I would say this to anyone looking for the most bang for your buck, if you do need a new flywheel or just don't want to resurface your stock one check out the combo deal Road Race Engineering has on the ACT and Fidanza, you'll only end up spending about $70 more than the stock flywheel, if I remember correctly, in the long run and this is with their upgraded disc (exedy).
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the review
Old Nov 5, 2004, 09:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
great review. Now how do you launch with this clutch? Slip it or drop it?

Quick Reply: Review: ACT Street Clutch + Fidanza