Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's the quickest spooling turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
What's the quickest spooling turbo kit?

Which aftermarket turbo kit / set-up out there spools closest to the stock US EVO 8 turbo while making about +40 hp for example @ 7k revs while on 91 octane/pump gas?

I personally ask this because I use my car as a daily driver, so I dont want to sacrifice too much spool up or have to downshift just get this thing going because of lag.

I have seen a few charts out there, 1 with tme 6.5 ti w/10.5 turbine housing, header & O2 housing netting some good gains, but whats the next step up in performance without sacrifycing too much spool up as a daily driver?

I apologize if this has been debated, but there have been newer kits introduced, so I am looking for more feedback / insight.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also looking for a place that can change the bushings on the stock turbo and put bearings in it so it will spool a little faster. I want to keep the stock look because all of those aftermarket kit definitely makes the turbo system modified.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:35 AM

I don't know from experience, but i've heard the BR440 kit from Buschur has almost stock spool and about the hp #'s you're looking for...

http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin....cgi?27X376545

Only downside is that if you don't use their frontmount IC then you have to fab your own lower IC pipe.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I would say our new revised GT30R kit w/equal length manifold is the fastest spooling aftermarket kit on the market. It spools like stock and make some real good power.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

hey wot, you should give one of AMS's smaller turbo kits a look, I think that's what you're looking for. They have one for autocross that will work good.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RnR Racing
I would say our new revised GT30R kit w/equal length manifold is the fastest spooling aftermarket kit on the market. It spools like stock and make some real good power.
where can one check this out at?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I'm confused. You guys say that those kits "spools like stock." Doesn't spool time and lag go hand in hand? If the spool time is slow then you get lag. You want a faster spool time right so you don't get lag?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

PM if you need any details on it, but basically it is our new Autocross/roadrace set up. Works well and spools well.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spool is a function of exhaust velocity b/n the primaries and turbo. If the primaries can retain alot of heat (jet coated, etc.) they will spool the same turbo faster than ones that do not retain heat as efficienctly (thus exhaust velocity is reduced). So it ain't the turbo necessarily; it's also the exhaust manifold/primaries....

4-BNGR
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tama_mog
hey wot, you should give one of AMS's smaller turbo kits a look, I think that's what you're looking for. They have one for autocross that will work good.
Yes, they are a consideration, good looking, but more money than I have right now.

I am eager to see a dyno plot or 2, comparing a given kit vs. a stock turbo.

ATP for instance has this type of compare, due to the dyno used for their compare, spool up looks great, but when comparing on a different dyno, it doesnt look so good.........Besides, not sure how much boost, octane or tune the atp power compare was running, let alone what other mods were in place between compares.

Is it basically a dual b.b. garrett 3071 turbo? I think atp had a 2871 vs. 3071 compare, lag was slightly more with the 3071, but the power gain was huge!?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

I think the problem with ATP's "adaptive" kit is just that...it's a compromise. They fabricated their own unique housing changing around the design of the turbo and they made it mate to the stock manifold....while great for a bolt on, I think tests from vishnu and others on their kit clearly says to me that they don't measure up to what they claim. I think this whole custom housing definitely relates directly to your main concern....spool. So personally I would just save up more $$ and look elsewhere....but that's just me. I think buschur's 440 kit looks promising....but personally I still prefer the ball bearing new GT spec turbos from garrett...and the kit I got from ultimate racing definitely doesn't fit the way u want it to spool (it might if these loose plans I have going on @ RRE goes through)....rnr's gt30r kit spools good but I think it's still laggier than stock.....rnr's 50 trim is a consideration with their equal length manifold.....but looking @ AMS' kit it looks pretty good and what they advertise (in which gear I have no clue) seems to fit what you need. Decisions decisions heh. Btw, thanks for pointing me toward Tom for the headwork, he's a standup guy and is helping me out greatly there. =P
Old Oct 13, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

what model turbo is used in the br 440 kit? I remember seeing a post once, but havent found that post again.

Attached, hopefully, is a overlay showing 2 stk turbos, various tunes, all on 91 octane. There are also 2 different turbo's tested as well. All on 91 octane. The atp curve is with the stock cat. they were all dyno's @ vishnu's. no flames please.

tama mog, have you received your head from tom? Glad to hear things are going well. Tom has been in the racing business for a while; ~2 decades, both turbo & n/a.
Attached Thumbnails What's the quickest spooling turbo kit?-ps_compare.jpg  

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Oct 13, 2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

nah not yet, he's waiting for an intake manifold gasket to get things going, but he's a good guy so far and I've heard a lot of good things about him all over souther cali.....for hondas though but I'm sure he can apply that knowledge. But back to the subject, if my memory serves me correct, buschur's older turbos (he's going into the dual bb GT turbos now) are based on the new GT technology....in terms of who makes it for him, I dunno the details. His kit comes with a cast manifold unlike most tubular kits and I remember one thing that turned me off was the lack of water cooling, I think that's important for the life of the turbo personally.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS GT2835 dual BB

Quick Reply: What's the quickest spooling turbo kit?