Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ecu safety controls and boost controller

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ecu safety controls and boost controller

Maybe the ans. to this is somewhere in the search, couldnt find it.

Is it true that when you install a electronic boost controll that you are bypassing all the saftey controls that are built into the ecu program?

To clear things up, For Example if the ecu sees knock for some reason the ecu should lower the boost to a saftey zone, but by baypassing the stock selenoid with the electronic boost control it wont be able to lower boost.

Can anybody can shed some light on this?
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYEVO8
Maybe the ans. to this is somewhere in the search, couldnt find it.

Is it true that when you install a electronic boost controll that you are bypassing all the saftey controls that are built into the ecu program?

To clear things up, For Example if the ecu sees knock for some reason the ecu should lower the boost to a saftey zone, but by baypassing the stock selenoid with the electronic boost control it wont be able to lower boost.

Can anybody can shed some light on this?
To my knowledge the stock ECU doesn't remove boost, when the knock voltage jumps above its threshold the ecu pulls timming and adds fuel for a certian amount of revs to ensure that it doesn't get any higher and it does this instantly. When this happens and if it was severe enought you would feel the loss of power and that would cause you to loose boost in only very rare cases. The reason the ECU does this is because it can happen much much faster than just releasing air pressure so it can correct it instantly. Adding a EBC will not cause problems for you safety wise unless you go to far and above your tune and fuel oct. But I would reccomend some sort of tunning tool like WideBand O2 (higher boost requires more fuel pressure and to keep an eye of AFRs) and Kock sensor logging so you can compair the differences just to be sure you aren't going over your range that you were previously on the lower boost. If you want to get an EBC to spool up faster and hold boost longer you will be completely fine with in the 19 - 20 psi range with little modification if any on good fuel.

This is just my opinion and how I look at things so I hope it helps.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

thanks, knock was only for example. i know if you have a tune and you get some **** gas one day that the ecu will protect the car by lowering boost or something is this true? i just want to make sure that adding the ebc it wont take away from any saftey built in to protect the engine
Old Oct 14, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYEVO8
thanks, knock was only for example. i know if you have a tune and you get some **** gas one day that the ecu will protect the car by lowering boost or something is this true? i just want to make sure that adding the ebc it wont take away from any saftey built in to protect the engine
No the cars ECU will not lower your boost if you get bad fuel. It will just lower your timing because it will see signs of detonation. Basically the same thing will happen with or without an EBC because boost isn't affected. If boost goes to high you will hit fuel cut killing all power but this is only if boost goes to high no matter of what type of fuel you are running.