Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best mods for 10sec street evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2004, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mid 11s? Keep the stock turbo. Curt Brown did.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:13 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well...take that for what it is...but people like buschur and curt brown are slightly a exception to the rule...i have gone 11.5 @122 and will soon go faster (and we are nowhere the driver curt brown is) but here is the thing...all those fast (pushed to the limit) stock turbo cars are being tuned to within a hair of their lifes each and every run with a laptop (not daily driveable unless you know how to tune it and like your passenger being a laptop a share of the time). Additionally all of those cars had aem systems , sheet metal intake manifolds, no maf and so on....(thats easily $2100) at cost...and i don't have much more than that in my cars turbo kit....so its almost even. Also i was running a pump gas timing curve and also 10.7:1 a/f's ....where i bet the other cars are running near 11.5-12:1
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodave
well...take that for what it is...but people like buschur and curt brown are slightly a exception to the rule...i have gone 11.5 @122 and will soon go faster (and we are nowhere the driver curt brown is) but here is the thing...all those fast (pushed to the limit) stock turbo cars are being tuned to within a hair of their lifes each and every run with a laptop (not daily driveable unless you know how to tune it and like your passenger being a laptop a share of the time). Additionally all of those cars had aem systems , sheet metal intake manifolds, no maf and so on....(thats easily $2100) at cost...and i don't have much more than that in my cars turbo kit....so its almost even. Also i was running a pump gas timing curve and also 10.7:1 a/f's ....where i bet the other cars are running near 11.5-12:1
don't forget ported head larger valves and stiffer valve springs.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:26 AM
Account Disabled

i am not by any means downgrading the achievements of buschur going 11.6 or 11.7 at 117 or curt doing 11.5 at 119 or whatever it was....just saying that your still going to spend the money to get there....and depending on what kind of person you are you can make a custom turbo setup and do the same with the capabilities of going low 11s or faster at say 123-125 mph or have a setup where you go mid 11s at say 117-120 with the stock turbo....i am sure that someone will go 10s at say 123 with the stock turbo...it will only take time....but personally i don't have that patience and would rather go low 11s or so at 125 with stock head and maf and ecu and stuff.
Dave
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Why would you want to take a drag pass without a datalogger, anyway?

If my laptop battery dies, and I forgot my power cable, my night is done at the track. Drag racing without a datalogger gives you no feedback for how to tune the next pass.

My Eclipse has run an 11.82@117.55mph with an Evo III 16G. And I daily drive it without a laptop plugged in (boost turned down). Not quite mid-11s, but not far, either. And not bad in a 3315lb car, either. The small turbo makes the car an absolute blast to drive on the street.

I'd never race on pump gas, anyway. The extra margin of safety you get with race gas is worth the extra money. You never know if that place you filled up at mixed up the tanks when they filled it up, and pump gas mixtures vary from month to month.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:36 AM
Account Disabled

my car hits full boost at 4000 rpms....and i don't redline tilll 7800....thats plenty of power band for me....and i will tell you currently running on pump gas timing and doing 11.5 at 122mph with stock ecu just retuned is sweet....i mean heck...i don't watch crap expect my a/f gauge being about 10.7:1 ....so i run rich as crap...i am going for faster soon so i may lean it out with my s-afc2 that i haven't messed with yet. I am just saying...anyone could duplicate my turbo setup for $3000 ish and have a mid 11 second car that you don't do a thing to...no datalogging, tuning, nothing...makes it kinda nice...for computer illiterate people like me. I can tune a s-afc2 but thats about it. I only have a boost gauge and a wideband...so i figure thats pretty good for something anyone can do and still have stock, head (besides cams and headbolts) , stock intake manifold, throttle body, maf, ecu (just flashed for pump gas) and so on.
Dave

Last edited by evodave; Oct 19, 2004 at 09:37 AM. Reason: forgot the headbolts
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

I don't see why the head, intake manifold, throttle body, MAF or ECU (besides a flash to get rid of fuel cut) need to be upgraded to run 11s on the stock turbo. People have been doing that with small and big 16Gs (not nearly as good as the Evo 16G) on DSMs for years.

Surely someone with an Evo with a stock head, intake manifold, throttle body, MAF, ECU, exhaust manifold and turbo has run an 11 second time by now, right? Just some IC pipes, maybe the intercooler (I think people ditch the stock one way too soon anyway), full exhaust, boost controller, fuel pump, maybe injectors, and AFC should be required.

Incidentally, I have a stock 1G head, intake manifold, throttle body, and MAF on my DSM.

It sounds as if you were running race gas for your 11.5 pass, right?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:04 AM
Account Disabled

yes ...but just to up the boost...not timing. Also yes people do go 11s ...but understand they do it at like 113mph ....that 9mph diff in the quarter is big on the road
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:26 AM
lco

ok i'm like you evodave maybe worse in the fact that i'm computer illiterate. what all computer stuff do i have to have done to the car can i just get the s-afc2, or am i gonna need a new flash too.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:32 AM
lco

i'm a little confused on this aspect of tuning the car, like which stuff do i need.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

yes ...but just to up the boost...not timing. Also yes people do go 11s ...but understand they do it at like 113mph ....that 9mph diff in the quarter is big on the road
I'm truly surprised that nobody has done better than 113mph with all that stuff being stock. I'm pulling 117.5mph with a turbo that has a much more restrictive exhaust housing (7cm^2 vs 9.8 or 10.5). I suppose my car is a tiny bit lighter. That still doesn't account for the 4mph difference.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
I'm truly surprised that nobody has done better than 113mph with all that stuff being stock. I'm pulling 117.5mph with a turbo that has a much more restrictive exhaust housing (7cm^2 vs 9.8 or 10.5). I suppose my car is a tiny bit lighter. That still doesn't account for the 4mph difference.
Shape,, I got a deal for you i will give you my evo8 for a month and you make it into 11's for me .
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

You got it! When will you deliver it to me? It will have to be a month when the track is open, of course. I'd need a small budget, too.

Seriously, I'd love to have that opportunity.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 03:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by lco
ok i'm like you evodave maybe worse in the fact that i'm computer illiterate. what all computer stuff do i have to have done to the car can i just get the s-afc2, or am i gonna need a new flash too.

Thats what i meant...i haven't even used the s-afc2 yet...its still on the 93 octane flash with super conservative timing and a/f
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

If you looking for 10's, EVO is not the right car.... Shoulda got Mustage Cobra, Z06, Viper or ect. 10's in an EVO can be done but it won't be fun as an everyday driver. Too much lag!

Quick Reply: best mods for 10sec street evo