Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gears Crunching, another possibility other than Synchros

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gears Crunching, another possibility other than Synchros

While back I made a post about "crunching" from 1st to second at low RPM's. I tried a few gear oils, none work. Funny thing is that if you shift into second letting the shifter slide in more to the right it does not do it as often (may be a coincidence). Other thing I noticed is that if I press the clutch in fast it does not crunch.

Car has 21000 miles on the stock clutch. Does not slip and engages normal. But I have clutch chutter like you would not believe hot or cold. If not letting out correctly in 1st it does this. On my previous EVO (separate topic), the chutter and odd metallic whining noise as the clutch was released slowly on a downshift, was caused by weak fingers on the pressure plate.

How about this thoery, the crunching is caused by the clutch not disengaging properly do to the weak fingers. Which would explain why if I press fast on the clutch it does not do it. And/Or there is air in the clutch line and the pressure plate, clutch, etc. begins to engage if not shifted quick. It is odd that it does not grind/crunch at high RPM's and does not do it all the time at low RPM's based on how fast the clutch is pushed in.

Note, when I say pushing in on the clutch fast, I maen slamming on the pedal.

Thoughts?