Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's the harm in taking off the line to the waste gate

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
matt, the turbo in the evo is fantastic to say the least, don't mess around with the waste gate for a extra psi or 2, its not gonna do that much powerwise anyway, its just gonna mess up ur turbo bro, u dont need that headache
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks RED , anyone eles that might have done this ei.( spiking @28 dropping to 23psi)

Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grog
NYREDEVO is right. Taking off the line to the wastegate actuator will mean that the WG doesn't open, which means overboosting. The only safeguard is if you flow more air than your fuel injectors can handle; then you'll get fuel cut. Other than that, it will build boost until you either blow something up, burn out turbo bearings, or hit fuel cut. No reason to do this intentially; not even at the track. Get a boost controller and turn it up so that you'll have good stable boost pressure.
Removing the vac line from the wastegate will limit boost to w/g spring pressure or about 11psi. To do what all of you are talking about, you have to wire the wastegate closed.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

This is off topic but i was have boost troble and hooked up my mbc and was hitting fuel cut and put it back to stock and now im only getting 10 freakin psi could this have something to do with the waste gate?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:28 AM

Removing the vac line from the wastegate will limit boost to w/g spring pressure or about 11psi. To do what all of you are talking about, you have to wire the wastegate closed.
I think this is incorrect. On my other car i had my lines that ran to the wastegate blow apart because they rotted out due to heat and when that happend it shot my boost levels up supper high, i was on the verge of blowing somehting up.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:39 AM

I just re read your post.

If you unhook all lines to the wasegate your are looking for trouble. BOOM
By unhooking all lines to the wasegate it is closed because there is nothing telling it to open.

If you just run a line from the turbo to the wasegate and NOT to the boost controler you will see 11psi or what ever the spring is.

I think im correct on this and i hope my wording/ typing came across correct.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

I you take that hose off the boost gauge will look like a stop watch that wont stop....
can you say KABOOM!!!!!! dont do that
Old Oct 19, 2004, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

There are lots of reasons to avoid going down your modification path:

- Eliminating Fuel Cut was a bad idea: it's a function that protects your engine from blowing due to excessive knock. It's one thing working with fuel cut, it's a whole other thing to work without it. Most experienced tuners leave fuel cut alone in the Evo, just ask around if you doubt me.
- Disconnecting the control line to the wastegate is a bad idea: It's an essential component to control your boost level. Without this you'll boost uncontrollably. Uncontrolled anything is not a good way to tune.

You said you flashed out fuel cut? Who did your flash anyhow? I'm curious.

Overboosting is a subjective term. It fits one or more of these explainations:
- Turbo compressor is spinning so fast the compressor wheel has surpassed it's efficiency, resulting in no more increase in air pressure, just more hotter air.
- The engine is getting more air than it can handle or manage. This results in explosive combustion commonly known as knock... which can be destructive enough to blow a hole in (or melt) pistons or the cylinder wall.
- others not mentioned here not directly related to this topic.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

You newbis are killing me with your post , Dynoflash is who flashed my ecu . Besides "compressor wheel has surpassed it's efficiency " , the other stuff is just crazy...
Old Oct 19, 2004, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matt55
You newbis are killing me with your post , Dynoflash is who flashed my ecu . Besides "compressor wheel has surpassed it's efficiency " , the other stuff is just crazy...
I run a spike of 30psi with my 16G, and I have to tune out knock with 117 octane fuel. You can definitely destroy your engine by running too much boost, even on race gas. Were you datalogging?

There is no need to run with the wastegate line pulled. Just turn the boost up instead. At least that way you are controlling it.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
I run a spike of 30psi with my 16G, and I have to tune out knock with 117 octane fuel. You can definitely destroy your engine by running too much boost, even on race gas. Were you datalogging?

There is no need to run with the wastegate line pulled. Just turn the boost up instead. At least that way you are controlling it.
Thanks Shape , No data login , thing is i was trying to get more psi @redline b/4 i was seeing like 20-21 and i was thinking it might have been the b/c not reacting fast enuf . Btw where is a good place to look for a data logger ? thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by matt55

If you summarise what everybody here is writing it would be a big “DON’T DO IT!!!” If you then think that we all are newbies why don’t you just go a head and drive your car with crazy boost and the WG disconnected and see what happens and learn the hard way?

I would say that it’s total madness to drive with that kind of set up, you would easily hit 30psi with a stock turbo that way, but hey, what do I know, we are all newbies here anyway…
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evillusion
No. Just because you are running 11 psi in the intake doesn't mean that 11 psi will be coming out of the engine, putting 11 psi of pressure on the flapper door. Yes, the flapper door will eventually blow open if the actuator spring isn't strong enough. But it'll take alot more the 11 psi of boost to get enough air coming out of the engine to push it open.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Do it!
Hey
Do it!
Do it!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
If you summarise what everybody here is writing it would be a big “DON’T DO IT!!!” If you then think that we all are newbies why don’t you just go a head and drive your car with crazy boost and the WG disconnected and see what happens and learn the hard way?

I would say that it’s total madness to drive with that kind of set up, you would easily hit 30psi with a stock turbo that way, but hey, what do I know, we are all newbies here anyway…
The newb coment was because 3 times in this thread i was told that removing fuel cut was bad , I know what happines , bam 28 psi tappering to 23 and it might been knockin like hell . But THANK YOU GUYS for trying to help me out I just was wonedring what was the good , bad and ugly

BTW i didnt say " that we all are newbies ".