Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's the harm in taking off the line to the waste gate

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the harm in taking off the line to the waste gate

Well I did the other day , It was on a "safe tune" and running 100+ octane. I got ALOT of boost , more than most ppl say the 16g can do . So how "bad" is it for the turbo to run w/out a bc ? Iam only thinking of doing this for the 1/4 track ,just didnt know if anyone had done this befor?

Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your question is how bad is it to run without a boost controller i would have to go with: bad, border line dumb....(Im no expert in neway) but from my understanding the boost controller stops u from over boosting - over boosting means over-reved turbo...over reved turbo= overpriced paper weight
Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

"over-reved turbo" never herd of that befor , but thats why iam asking .
Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

It all depends...

It all depends on how high the boost goes, it would just be like removing the wastegate and allowing all exhaust gas to go to the turbo. Although, their might be a safeguard for when something like that happens so as to not boost at all. Who knows, check it out
Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Too much boost is not good because the turbo becomes inefficient. You could overheat the turbo, the intake temperatures will be greater causing knock, etc.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:53 PM

If i read your post correct you must be insane. What will happen is that boost will keep going till either the turbo fails or your engine but one will happen.

if you mash the gas all the way through the gears something will blow. It is plain insane to run with out some sort of control.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

NYREDEVO is right. Taking off the line to the wastegate actuator will mean that the WG doesn't open, which means overboosting. The only safeguard is if you flow more air than your fuel injectors can handle; then you'll get fuel cut. Other than that, it will build boost until you either blow something up, burn out turbo bearings, or hit fuel cut. No reason to do this intentially; not even at the track. Get a boost controller and turn it up so that you'll have good stable boost pressure.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grog
NYREDEVO is right. Taking off the line to the wastegate actuator will mean that the WG doesn't open, which means overboosting. The only safeguard is if you flow more air than your fuel injectors can handle; then you'll get fuel cut. Other than that, it will build boost until you either blow something up, burn out turbo bearings, or hit fuel cut. No reason to do this intentially; not even at the track. Get a boost controller and turn it up so that you'll have good stable boost pressure.
Dont think the injectors will max out with the stock turbo.... Btw i have a B/C
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

1. According to Buschur's staged mods, it very well could. The reason for the Stage 4 is to prevent fuel cut.

2. If you didn't hit fuel cut, that would be even worse. You'd be looking at the other two things that could happen: burnt up turbo or blown motor.

3. Boost controller does nothing if you don't have the wastegate actuator hooked up. So use the boost controller instead of unhooking the wastegate is all I'm saying.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

matt55....again i am no turbo expert but from what i meant by an over-reved turbo is since u have nothing preventing the turbo from spinning (think of it as a engine in a way) then eventually it would burn itself out b/c it simply could not handle the RPMs - just like if u ignored redline and ran the car at 9000 RPMS...something is gonna give, if u wanna make more power, there are plenty of other options leave the waste gate alone
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grog
1. According to Buschur's staged mods, it very well could. The reason for the Stage 4 is to prevent fuel cut.

2. If you didn't hit fuel cut, that would be even worse. You'd be looking at the other two things that could happen: burnt up turbo or blown motor.

3. Boost controller does nothing if you don't have the wastegate actuator hooked up. So use the boost controller instead of unhooking the wastegate is all I'm saying.
1 I know I got my car flashed to get rid of fuel cut ,

2 ever one has to work around fuel cut if you wasnt a fast evo .

3 yeah i kinda got that , With the b/c i was not see the boost @ redline i wanted (20-21) keep cranking it down but 21 was the max .

Does anyone who "know" what will happin ?

Last edited by matt55; Oct 18, 2004 at 02:17 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

The only thing "bad" I can see coming out of this is the heat from the turbo, but some guys say they are running more than 21 psi at red line and having good luck with it !
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

21 psi is about the best ur gonna get out of a stock turbo on normal gas, u can turn it up to 24-25 with race gas but u have to have 2 setups (one for each octane) but u really hould focus more on airflow if u want to make your car faster (turboback,i/c piping etc) then when ur ready to have a race and street setup u can do it the right way
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

the heat coming from the turbo is what destorys it! thats the problem -
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

.......was getting 22-23

I had race fuel in there and i have two diff set ups one for race , one for daily

Quick Reply: What's the harm in taking off the line to the waste gate