Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

grinding 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. When I auto-X I double clutch and that does solve it. I have no idea why it doesn't for you. Practice on a deserted street at slow speeds .

Do a search as this has been a post in the past. Try the motorsports section if you come up empty here.

Sometimes in the heat of battle I foget & downshift at 25 mph & it pops right in, no grinding, while other times, like you, lots of noise @ 2 mph.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:38 PM
choad

Not using first is an UNACCEPTABLE answer.
And the Getrag tranny equipped BMW's you have flogged don't have their share of notchy clutch/shift issues?

I must be unfamiliar with Autocrossing to the extent of not realizing you need to USE first when on the track...

I could be wrong.

I still say not to use first gear in this ALL Wheel Drive car..

Which could be the difference and reason why first is tough in the first place! The clutch and overall shift actions does act differently than the BMW rear drive setups!!
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zmeli
Message: Here is the response to the inquiry I sent to Castrol USA about where to get Castrol TAF-X in the USA: "Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is made in the U.K. and sold only in Europe. However, the equivalent in the U.S. is Syntorq LT. Having said that, Syntorq LT SAE 75W-85, API GL -4 is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. The all new "clean slate" approach enables Syntorq LT to provide consistent performance and durability under the most severe operating conditions due to its unique polymer free formula. It has been designed primarily as a problem solving gear lubricant for manual transmissions to provide reduced gearshift effort at low temperatures. Syntorq LT is available through General Motors (Part #12346190) and Chrysler (Part #4637579) dealerships. Please contact your local dealership." Try some of this. gmpartsdirect.com sells it I had grinding between 1st/2nd when cold this will take care of this problem.

never mind looks like driver error.
hehe

i will be purchasing that stuff this week! i called GM, $25 a quart it's either that or order from Europe, right?
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:05 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

I agree also. First gear is for starting off and only starting off. My Evo, like all my other cars, does not like to be shifted into first unless at a stop. I have been known to double declutch on the rare occasion to find first gear but always at slow speeds and usually in stop and go traffic.

I have a suggestion. Instead of dropping to 1st in slow corners, try leaving the car in 2nd and left foot brake while modulating the gas. This, although a fairly advanced technique that will take practice, will maintain boost and allow for an excellent launch from the corner. This will also reduce the number of shifts you will be making and save time.

The real irony in your complaint is that you are *****ing to Mitsubishi about something that is only a problem in an auto cross. Auto crossing, in Mitsubishi’s eyes, would void your warrantee, which would mean they wouldn’t have to fix it. Mitsubishi shouldn’t have to fix it anyway as it is not really a problem.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive just been told .. dont downshift to first unless the car is stopped or you are going really really slow like basically stopped
Old Oct 24, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

I'm able to shift into 1st at 20mph . I don't force it in but press the clutch all the way and with slight pressure slip it into 1st. But, I don't recommend it since you'll hear the syncros working hard to catch up to speed and there is really no need to downshift to 1st at those speeds anyway.
I usually slip into first when I'm going about 5mph with no problem and I have 23K miles so far (I am using Redline MT-90 though for 18K miles).
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:41 PM

thanks. we'll see what the dlr says, if they say i'm crazy then i'll change the fluid.

BUT...why are there "first gear corners" then? Are you supposed to stop first??
(for instance stock rally classes....as an example)

again, my apologies for being sarcastic, but i didnt buy my car to keep it clean in a garage.

once i find out what my tire diameter is i'll post some speed-in-gear examples for y'all

thanks for the input.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Your Not Supposed to Downshift into First!. Its mearly a From a Stop Gear. Downshifting into first while still moving, Will cause your first gear to go bad.. I learned this when I was 16.....
Old Oct 24, 2004, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

i think if you double clutch it's fine or whatever your method is to do it nicely. get it in there smoothly and nothing will break. it's like downshifting into ANY gear as long as it's smooth, frictionless, and solid, no? doesn't feel like i'm hurting it when it's done properly.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 01:35 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by m3charles
thanks. we'll see what the dlr says, if they say i'm crazy then i'll change the fluid.

BUT...why are there "first gear corners" then? Are you supposed to stop first??
(for instance stock rally classes....as an example)

again, my apologies for being sarcastic, but i didnt buy my car to keep it clean in a garage.

once i find out what my tire diameter is i'll post some speed-in-gear examples for y'all

thanks for the input.
If you really want to drop to a ratio appropriate for an auto cross, either rebuild the transmission with appropriate gears for your purpose or get a dog box. The Evo, no matter how good a car, is only a street car. It is not designed to do what you are looking for.

It is ridiculous for you to pester the dealership with something that is not a problem.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

It's ridiculous that ya can't shift into 1st. Every auto-x I go to has 1st gear corners and every car there, including the lowly Neon, pops it into first with no trouble. I auto-x'd a Miata for 10 years & had no problems, and the car suffered no adverse effects. It's one of the design flaws in the Evo's generally weak transmission. Of course we could putt-putt around, but if we wanted to drive like little old ladies we would have bought Buicks, not Evo's.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Check your engine, tranny, diff and driveshaft mounts. If they're worn or just tired, it will be harder to shift.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 07:26 AM
choad

Check your engine, tranny, diff and driveshaft mounts. If they're worn or just tired, it will be harder to shift.
The car in question has extremely low miles so I don't think that would be an issue..

But good points to consider on a higher mile car..

It would be good to hear from those that have autocrossed the EVO a lot on this first gear issue..

See if they are in fact using first gear and perhaps have some advise/input!!

This is prolly who M3Charles wanted to hear from in the 1st place..I think..

Not us "experts"..
Old Oct 25, 2004, 07:31 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

It would be interesting to start a poll to see how many people are using 1st gear while auto crossing and if they are getting a grind if and when they do.

Sorry you didn't get the answers you wanted. Good luck.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

isnt 1st gear limited to 5 mph? why would you want to downshift into 1st anyhow to upshift back to second....

Quick Reply: grinding 1st gear