Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

grinding 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding 1st gear

(pre-emptive sorry 4 repost, most people reported grinding in 2-5 gears which was not my case so here i go)

Virtually every time i downshift into 1st gear, it grinds horribly and won't let me in until the car is completely stopped. I will leave second or third for neutral, coast to a near stop ( i mean almost not moving, like <5mph) and try to engage 1st (slowly) and gggrznt. Or like pulling into a parking lot, I'll 3-2-1 revmatch downshift (slowly, of course) and ggrzznnt. What gives? anyone else experience this? I can engage first from a stop fine. no noise, just slides in.

(i do this all the time on all different cars w/ no problem)
(I press the clutch to the floor, then shift)
( I do not double-clutch. I shouldn't have to.)
( I tried double-clutching, BTW. It didn't help.)

^^cuz some ppl may ask.

time to call the dealer?

Last edited by m3charles; Oct 18, 2004 at 09:32 PM. Reason: c l a r i t y
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

try it again without wondering if it'll go in, but wondering how the engine is going to sound and feel
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same here, I find it hard not to grind when downshifting in the lower gears so I just don't do it at all.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by dizzigital
try it again without wondering if it'll go in, but wondering how the engine is going to sound and feel
I've had some religious moments in my cars before, but I know my car doesn't have feelings.

I never wonder anything about shifting. I'm sure you read all my disclaimers, and hopefully deduced that i "have a clue" about the fine art of gear selection, so feel free to elaborate and pull my *** out the dark. Thizanks, Dizz
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by m3charles
I've had some religious moments in my cars before, but I know my car doesn't have feelings.

I never wonder anything about shifting. I'm sure you read all my disclaimers, and hopefully deduced that i "have a clue" about the fine art of gear selection, so feel free to elaborate and pull my *** out the dark. Thizanks, Dizz
hmmm.... i used to have the same problem and now that i think back on it, it happened because i was either unsure or scared... iss all good now tho i guess you gotta do it with the momentum? -can't really put my finger on it, but think Nike... JUST DO IT!
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:00 AM

bumping.. i have a service appt. next tuesday. BONE STOCK 600 mi. any keywords i should say besides "doesnt go into 1st unless i stop?"
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:02 AM

like... "why don't you just throw in the MR six speed?"

hey.. can i ask for a different clutch? probably not. anyone have buddies in Smithtown Mitsu in LI, ny?
Old Oct 21, 2004, 09:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there is a restrictor plate that restricts you to go into the first gear. You have to reach certain RPM or revmatch in order for you to get that in.

Don't grind it and try not to force it in, it's never good to force in anything. Always be gentle. They like that. lol.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

my prelude does the same thing
I have a hairpin turn on the main road out to the main road...have to downshift to 1st when Im doing some spirited driving
you have to rev match in any car to get it to go into 1st when doing anything more than 5mph
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

While moving I suggest do not try to get into 1st without double clutching and going very slow. You will usually grind which is very bad for your tranny.

While moving, go into neutral. Clutch out. Blip throttle (The amount to blip will depend on your current speed). Clutch in and move shifter into first. Blip again to rev match. Clutch out. You are on your way!

Last edited by Evolboost; Oct 25, 2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:10 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just don't put it in your first gear period. It puts a lot of strain on your transmission and it sometimes give you a power-oversteer.

Just my advice to those who does. I personally don't do it.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:19 PM
choad

First gear is for starts only..NEVER downshift into first at ANY speed if you can help it..

SEE also:

BLOWN trans
BLOWN clutches
or go here.

Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Message: Here is the response to the inquiry I sent to Castrol USA about where to get Castrol TAF-X in the USA: "Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is made in the U.K. and sold only in Europe. However, the equivalent in the U.S. is Syntorq LT. Having said that, Syntorq LT SAE 75W-85, API GL -4 is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. The all new "clean slate" approach enables Syntorq LT to provide consistent performance and durability under the most severe operating conditions due to its unique polymer free formula. It has been designed primarily as a problem solving gear lubricant for manual transmissions to provide reduced gearshift effort at low temperatures. Syntorq LT is available through General Motors (Part #12346190) and Chrysler (Part #4637579) dealerships. Please contact your local dealership." Try some of this. gmpartsdirect.com sells it I had grinding between 1st/2nd when cold this will take care of this problem.

never mind looks like driver error.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:10 PM

i'm a pretty friendly, nice guy. I know there are a lot of people on the internet that have no clue what they're doing or talking about. I was hoping someone with know-how would respond....But really. Please READ....

I tried to express in my posts that i do know how to shift. I've been doing it for a while. I've RACED my M3 as well as drive it on the street. Im still on the original transmission with over 100k miles, and 12 years of ownership, problem-free then and now. Last time i autocrossed it, i took 2nd place in class, which was at the yearly BMWCCA oktoberfest national gathering. Thats a very competitive group, catch my drift?

Not using first is an UNACCEPTABLE answer.
i hope to do an auto-x with the evo, I would expect to maybe need first gear somewhere besides the start, no? Or are all the courses designed to never need a 2-1 downshift?

From a safety standpoint, if i need to take evasive action, what could I do?

as i said before, i tried dbl clutching, it didnt work.

yes, i know how to double clutch.

i know how to match revs.

i said it happens at any speed other than 0 - ~2 mph. When YOU drive YOUR car, note when you shift out of first in normal driving. i'd bet its well after 10 mph, no? are you telling me i can't put it back in at that speed? I'd bet you can.

this is not my first car. I've been doing this a while.

something is not working properly.-it is not the driver.

i have heard of a restrictor, i've seen them on other cars as well. apparently there's 2 side to its removal as anything else here. I have no regular problem with any other gears. up or down.

Given these facts, anyone care to offer an educated opinion?

---not trying to be mean, but i guess i'm the only one with this problem? don't fault me. I'll admit to my own inadequacies, but operation of a motor vehicle is NOT one of them.---
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

the only car i have ever owned (near 25 in all) that would accept a shift to first at a speed over about 5 mph was my 86 RX-7. that thing would take it from 15mph if i wanted it to. i learned not to worry about it though. you can try all the fancy foot work stuff to force it into gear, but i say, just dont try until you are stopped. it is better for your car, and easy to get used to. i hoped otherwise when i bought my evo, but with no prevail. good luck.

Quick Reply: grinding 1st gear