Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which one is better?
tube and fin
21.48%
bar and plate
78.52%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2004, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin?

I have seen nothing that explains the pros and cons of these two tyes of FMIC. If anyone could provide some feedback that would be cool.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is one I'd really like to see the vendors (builders) jump on... I'm holding my spin on the subject due to my affinity for durability from the daily driver's view.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Go check out the PWR website. I think thet explain the differences between the two. I do know bar and plate construction is more durable but I believe tube and fin are slighly more efficient.

Shane
Old Oct 21, 2004, 08:51 AM

is it really that much of a concern on a street car? even if you are pushing 400whp, i believe either type of intercooler would be sufficient
Old Oct 21, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4DR4WD
is it really that much of a concern on a street car? even if you are pushing 400whp, i believe either type of intercooler would be sufficient
True, but I always wanted to know the difference.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
This is one I'd really like to see the vendors (builders) jump on... I'm holding my spin on the subject due to my affinity for durability from the daily driver's view.
That's what I was hoping for.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 04:45 PM

In a bar & plate the thickness of the metal of the bars and plates themselves helps promote the transfer of heat from the charge air into the metal itself this is a more effective way to cool the charge air especially at lower speeds. The downside to a bar & plate over tube and fin is B&P takes longer to cool once it gets hot
Old Oct 21, 2004, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

From my personal experience, bar and plate intercoolers are way more durable compared to tube and fin. I've had both kinds on my 2g. The fins on my greddy (tube and fin) intercooler core was thrashed after about 50k miles. All the fins were bent pretty bad. I replaced that w/ a spearco and drove another 30k miles and there were only minor dings on the fins that could easily be straightened out w/ needle nose pliers. Most of those miles were spent on the highway and my car was pretty low. There was probably only 3" between the ground and the bottom of my front bumper and I had no screen to protect the FMIC. I would say the intercooler was driven under pretty harsh driving conditions.

After 11k miles on my EVO, I have about ~10 noticeable dings on my stock fmic. I only had minor dings on my spearco after driving 30k miles.

As far as efficiency goes, I'm not sure. Most tube and fin cores aren't as thick as the Spearco bricks.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vividracing3
In a bar & plate the thickness of the metal of the bars and plates themselves helps promote the transfer of heat from the charge air into the metal itself this is a more effective way to cool the charge air especially at lower speeds. The downside to a bar & plate over tube and fin is B&P takes longer to cool once it gets hot

Just to double check the oem IC is tube and fine correct?

Last edited by lil'evil_evo; Oct 21, 2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

OEM is tube and fin.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

This site explains it very well http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm#ENGINE%20DESTRUCTION%20%20!%20!% 20!%20!!
Old Oct 21, 2004, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
OEM is tube and fin.
I feel stupid. I meant to say tube and fin. The only IC I can think of that is bar and plate is AMS off the top of my head.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Buschur is bar and plate... ALso bar and plate is a better heatsink absorbing more heat on the hot side...

Ive had my buschur intercooler for 5000 miles and have put my hand at the inlet and outlet... Always a huge difference and getting nice cool air...Haven had it heat soak even after a long freeway run..
Old Oct 22, 2004, 04:22 AM

Bar and plate is a popular choice with DSM tuners. It seems it has a superior design over tube and fin.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DocMortal
Buschur is bar and plate... ALso bar and plate is a better heatsink absorbing more heat on the hot side...

Ive had my buschur intercooler for 5000 miles and have put my hand at the inlet and outlet... Always a huge difference and getting nice cool air...Haven had it heat soak even after a long freeway run..
I just putthis intercooler on, this thing is AWESOME to say the least. FIt like a GLove and looks MEAN now.

Quick Reply: Bar & Plate or Tube & Fin?