Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TurboTrix tunes a 550 whp Weightless White in Tampa!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
Dan ...

Good to see your concerned. The guy who did his timing belt left the idler pulley loose. This was discovered after we broke the side down and the customer was standing there and saw a loose bolt. This motor was stock.. Obviously the bolt was hand tight as it didnt completely losen up until after about 3 - 4 pulls. I believe we truthfully diagnosed the problem. I know you have far more experience in the field but i have seen this happen many times ......

Mark
Turbotrix
Sorry - I originally posted under Al's account above. He was signed on our computer just before.

Anyway

So the motor was stock, but someone had done his timing belt? He must have alot of miles on his car. Truthfully, we have never seen this problem on an Evo because the car are fairly new. If I were the owner, I would be upset with the person or shop who did my timing belt. Here at Pruven, we generally put lock-tite on those bolts, probably why we have never seen this problem. It must have jumped alot of teeth in order to bend the valves. Did all the valves get whacked? We have seen the timing belt be off as much as 6 teeth without bending valves. Good luck to the owner of the car and again if you guys need any help, let us know. Keep us posted.

Dan @ Pruven

Last edited by Pruven; Oct 26, 2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pruven
Sorry - I originally posted under Al's account above. He was signed on our computer just before.

Anyway

So the motor was stock, but someone had done his timing belt? He must have alot of miles on his car. Truthfully, we have never seen this problem on an Evo because the car are fairly new. If I were the owner, I would be upset with the person or shop who did my timing belt. Here at Pruven, we generally put lock-tite on those bolts, probably why we have never seen this problem. It must have jumped alot of teeth in order to bend the valves. Did all the valves get whacked? We have seen the timing belt be off as much as 6 teeth without bending valves. Good luck to the owner of the car and again if you guys need any help, let us know. Keep us posted.

Dan @ Pruven

Its actually only one bolt ... If you take an evo idler pully and losen it ... it will losen enough to slip right off the cam gears. It doesnt matter how much it spun,, it doesnt take much to bend valves, esp with tomea cams with extended duration. Whoever put the cams in and did the cam gears took the timing belt off. I guess they didnt have the tool. Not everyone out there can be as experienced as pruven when working on their cars.. Here at turbotrix we are building him a race head.. Maybe he'll see the 600whp mark soon enough.

Mark
turbotrix
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Old Oct 27, 2004, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for dyno sheets. Hopefully, Mark faxed them to you.