Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler coupling problems ????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler coupling problems ????

My car lost major top end power and I was trying to find out why. After a boost leak test (I had to put the engine at TDC despite what others said in order for the test to work. Another option is to cap off the uppder pipe.) I found that the hump on silicone coupler between the intercooler and upper piping was slightly torned. I didn't imagine such a small leak can hamper performance that much. I didn't have a new coupling so end up taping the silicone coupler with duck tape.

Took the car out for a test drive and wow what a difference that made. I need to get new silicone coupling but not sure whether to get the Silicone Straight Coupler or Silicone Hump Coupler. Also where can I get some high quality ones?

I know some of you think BOV doesn't matter in performance but I tested the hks, turbo xs rfl, and 1g bov on my car and I can say it matters a lot. My car was dynoflash with the turbo xs rfl and the car pulls strong. Test it with the hks and 1g bov as the only change and the top end power is not the same. Just curious if anyone else have try this and justify whether a BOV does make a difference.

Thks.

Last edited by GOKOU; Oct 25, 2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

No comments or suggestions?
Old Oct 26, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GOKOU
(I had to put the engine at TDC despite what others said in order for the test to work. Another option is to cap off the uppder pipe.)Thks.
Realy ? what did it do if it was not at tdc ?
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
In order to properly pressure test the system, you need to make sure all the intake valves are closed completely or the pressure test won't work and you have to cap the upper pipe. Also, if you do it capped off, you have to make sure you supply a pressure source to the DV/BOV so it has the same "running pressure" on the diaphragm so you can see if it leaks.. I discovered my 1G valve was partially open under vacuum, and would blow open under boost pressure over 20psi, so I can see 100% where your coming from.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matt55
Realy ? what did it do if it was not at tdc ?
There was no pressure at all. It seems as if the air was going out somewhere which I suspect could be through the intake or exhaust. I bought a 2" cap and just cap the upper pipe.

Last edited by GOKOU; Oct 26, 2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
In order to properly pressure test the system, you need to make sure all the intake valves are closed completely or the pressure test won't work and you have to cap the upper pipe. Also, if you do it capped off, you have to make sure you supply a pressure source to the DV/BOV so it has the same "running pressure" on the diaphragm so you can see if it leaks.. I discovered my 1G valve was partially open under vacuum, and would blow open under boost pressure over 20psi, so I can see 100% where your coming from.
I cap off the upper pipe but did not provide any pressure source to the BOV. I was more concern whether there was a leak on the flange or not. Next time I'm going to T off and apply the same pressure on the bov. I was planing to change to the 1g bov but the loss in top end HP was too much so I kept the turbo xs rfl on the car. I wonder if this is do to tuning and if I need to redynoflash. If I can get the 1g bov to pull like the turboxs that will be .
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

There was no pressure at all. It seems as if the air was going out somewhere which I suspect could be through the intake or exhaust. I bought a 2" cap and just cap the upper pipe.
Wow b/c i did it , and didnt have to plug the pipe at the TBody , I got it up to 15-17 lbs and it would hold it for 20-30 sec b4 leaking dowm really slowly . Maybe i got lucky with the tdc thing ?....
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Wow b/c i did it , and didnt have to plug the pipe at the TBody , I got it up to 15-17 lbs and it would hold it for 20-30 sec b4 leaking dowm really slowly . Maybe i got lucky with the tdc thing ?....
That could be the case because it as the same with me when I had the engine at TDC. My boost gauge on the car went to 15-17lbs and starting to leak down. I don't think it ever made it to 20 or 25. The only way I found out about the tear was by using water. I put water on the coupler and it started to bubble and made noise.

You drive your car daily so I'm sure you'll know when something is not right even though others will keep on saying that it could be normal. It was frustrating for me because I recently bought t bolt clamps and the problem was still there. Didn't imagine it could be my coupler.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

That could be the case because it as the same with me when I had the engine at TDC. My boost gauge on the car went to 15-17lbs and starting to leak down. I don't think it ever made it to 20 or 25. The only way I found out about the tear was by using water. I put water on the coupler and it started to bubble and made noise.

You drive your car daily so I'm sure you'll know when something is not right even though others will keep on saying that it could be normal. It was frustrating for me because I recently bought t bolt clamps and the problem was still there. Didn't imagine it could be my coupler.
BTW --When you did your leak test did you have a slight hissing coming from the T- body ? 2 of my friends and I looked it all over using soapy water and could not find any thing ???
Old Oct 26, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

BTW --When you did your leak test did you have a slight hissing coming from the T- body ? 2 of my friends and I looked it all over using soapy water and could not find any thing ???
Yes, and I thought the throttle body bolt was lose but that wasn't the case. Not sure what it was. I don't know others can pressure test up to 25 psi. I would recommend plugging the upper pipe next time you're doing a leak test.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, and I thought the throttle body bolt was lose but that wasn't the case. Not sure what it was. I don't know others can pressure test up to 25 psi. I would recommend plugging the upper pipe next time you're doing a leak test.
yeah i think next time ill plug the ic pipe up , that hissin was drivin us crazy