Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My antilag system

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2002, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autronic aint to bad but I've found that when boost levels are say 18psi or more it tends to struggle. not to sure why this is. you pay more for quality.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 01:34 AM

i agree with that...if you can afford it, Motec is the way to go! well, hopefully i won't have trouble with the Autronics when my car comes out of the workshop.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 06:08 AM

how about ems dude? issit any good?
Old Dec 14, 2002, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Claudius
ALS is not activated in the standard ECU.

What your friend said is BS, sorry.

ALS needs to be programmed into the ECU and will self activate as soon as the throttle is closed (ie. when you lift off to brake).
What claudius is saying is just about right. I have never heard of Mitsu making street going evos with antilag. It is just really stupid, as antilag damages your turbo quiet frequently as its shooting hot oil(or something to that effect) onto the turbine itself to keep it spooled.

But ,maybe he was talking about rally spec evos.

Standalone engine management is good. Antilag on an everyday driven car, bad. If its activated everyone once in a while, it still can be bad, but maybe not as bad as having it on everyday you drive the car.

But if you insist, GEMS is another option for standalone engine management with an als system.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Hey Guys, The anti lag system works buy retarding timing and simultaneously richening the mixture. The result of this is combustion in the exhaust manifold (not in the cylinder)! this spools the turbo and yes, drastically shortens its life. My friend has an EVO 6.5 rally car with this active and it does have RPM and time limits as already suggested (only active during max driving) and it is switchable. Hope this helped

P.S. Some WRC teams have a newer system that dosen't have the distinctive misfire, anyone know how those work?
Old Dec 19, 2002, 09:32 PM

didn't technomotive make stutter boxes for DSMs? maybe with the release of the EVO8 they'll make some for the evo crowd...

www.tmo.com if im not mistaken....
Old Dec 22, 2002, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

onegee, A stutter box isn't the same thing. It works at full throttle as opposed to anti-lag which works when the throttle is closed. You do bring up a great point though...TMO could program an anti-lag system into their ECU upgrade package if we asked them real nice
Old Dec 30, 2002, 08:07 PM

well, i get know that there is an antilag system come with the gsr version while it's not activated through a book call 21st century performance. check it out while you can and give me some comment with what the author said!
Old Jan 16, 2003, 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you guys are talking about is the secondary air system that is present on Evos 4 onwards.

What happens is that after 3 seconds of full throttle and maintaining greater than 4,000 rpm the secondary air valve is activated to open and dump the boost pressure into the exhaust manifold via the secondary air pipework.

If you look at the std Evo4 exhaust manifold you will see that there are 2 pipes that feed back to a valve located next to the rocker cover near to the inlet plenum chamber. This is the secondary air valve and is activated by the ECU.

To turn this into a full ALS setup you need to access the ECU to be able to add the appropriate fuelling and timing changes (extra fuel and retarded timing) to make it effective.

You will also need to enlarge the jets in the exhaust manifold to be able to feed a lot more air into the manifold than with the standard small jets.

To complete the setup, route your dump valve into the secondary air system (like they do on the WRC cars) and you have a permanent ALS.

HOWEVER, ALS on a road car is a bit of a pointless waste of time (apart from the pops and bangs and flames). All you do is gain a fraction of a second inbetween gear changes. And as a result of running ALS you will increase the stress on the exhaust manifold and turbo and wear them out quickly. This is because the combustion is actually taking place in the exhaust manifold and not in the cylinders and so you get HIGH exhaust manifold temperatures and this increases the chances of corrosion and cracking of the manifold and turbo due to excessive heat.

Andy
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Why do you need a ALS? It destroys turbos and is absolutely useless on a street car. Unless you do some kind of racing with you car... 5000km per turbo, US$1000 per turbo...

By the way, don't believe what you see in Initial D, it's just a cartoon...
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:40 AM

ahem.....you are rite....i am actually no more driving my car on the street. i just drive my evo on the track...and for the cartoon. in real life if you dare to do what they show in the cartoon i believe it will be realistic.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

If that's the case then you should get an aftermarket ECU with an ALS function, cause it seems nobody here knows how to "unlock" the stock one.

I just think that ALS is a little excessive for recreational, week-end track drivers (which I assume you are). It's too hard on the turbo and unless you have a sponsor or a fat wallet it will be an expensive feature to have.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:42 AM
EvoM Guru

The system on my buddys EVO 6 Rally car is switchable, so go for it! It is up to you to use it sparingly I would reccomend you work on optimizing the breathing of the intake and exahust first and a well tuned race worthy BOV (if you haven't done that stuff yet), you'd be surprized how little lag you'll have (without the anti-lag). I say run her hard...that's what it's for