Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!

hi.my name is anthony and i have an 03 yellow evo and my current mods are full 3in turbo back exhaust,mbc, br intake, turbo xs rfl bov. i think thats it but ive saved up 5,000 dollars and im been loking for the like the best turbo kit i can get on stock internals or another option is keeping my stock turbo still. i have some ideas of what to do but id like someones opinion first who knows more about this than i do. so if anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by LTCPORTER; Oct 26, 2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

What kind of power are you looking for? Preference in spool time?
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

with 5k you can do just about everything except for the stroker upgrade, turbo + manifold, and non sheet metal intake manifold... you can do 1 of the 3, but i'd do this instead..

i'd do a complete head upgrade (cams, gears, headstuds, valves, springs, retainers, port, etc), IC and pipes, AEM EMS, and possibly clutch + flywheel..

bottom line is that you shouldn't just jump into a full blown turbo upgrade basically stock like you are... most people do turbo upgrade last so you can get the most out of it..
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

this is obviously a lie
if you had a evo and 5k you would know what to do

br580 2500
aem ems 1600
fuel injectors and fuel pump 480
cams 500
total 4980 10 sec car with that

labor lol
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

plus new IC, cause the stock one will be maxed.... and it's incorrect to upgrade your IC and go extensively far into other engine mods to not upgrade the IC pipes as well.. add a general $1400 for all of that...

IMO br500 or br580 is the way to go... btw i forgot you need a fuel pump and injectors so perhaps some head work will be eliminated...
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by evoinit
this is obviously a lie
if you had a evo and 5k you would know what to do

br580 2500
aem ems 1600
fuel injectors and fuel pump 480
cams 500
total 4980 10 sec car with that

labor lol
Dude you have to factor in the labor and tuning cost. Unless the AEM comes perfectly tuned from factory. And what about a clutch? I think with labor and tuning and a clutch the more realistic total is $7500~$8000
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:17 PM

well first i shall respond to evoinit i do have an evo and im not an idiot you conceded sonofa***** go to www.imvfilms.com and download let the kid drive the yeloow evo in the vid is mine you shouldnt just start talking **** all im doin is trying to get peoples opinions about turbo and other upgrades there are a lot of parts out there and i want a lot of power so im getting people that have done it to tell me what they've learned. and ive already upgraded the clutch and flywheel i have a fidanza aluminum flywheel and a roadraceengineering no name clutch with a 3000 clamp load pressure plate.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 05:04 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as stated above 5000 is come nice cheeze to work with, as far as turbo kits I really like th ams kits which are in the low 4's. But you don't engine management or upgraded i/c or inj/pump or tuning yet , plus a twin disk plus labor which is around 2'gs.

things to think about
Old Oct 26, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LTCPORTER
hi.my name is anthony and i have an 03 yellow evo and my current mods are full 3in turbo back exhaust,mbc, br intake, turbo xs rfl bov. i think thats it but ive saved up 5,000 dollars and im been loking for the like the best turbo kit i can get on stock internals or another option is keeping my stock turbo still. i have some ideas of what to do but id like someones opinion first who knows more about this than i do. so if anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.
Cams, Cam gears, Arp Studs should be next on your mod list.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I would spent it all in internals. Fully built stroker engine. With a built motor on stock turbo, u'll be at 400whp easy. Run with the stock turbo for a while, and when you have the cash, go for the GT35R.

Ohhh, dont forgot engine management. Just my .02cent...
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by LTCPORTER
...i have an 03 yellow evo and my current mods are full 3in turbo back exhaust,mbc, br intake, turbo xs rfl bov. i think thats it but ive saved up 5,000 dollars and im been loking for the like the best turbo kit i can get on stock internals...
If you want a proven setup that will get you the best power for your money and won't leave you with a job half-finished when you run out of money (like some of these suggestions), I would consider the following:

$2400 ATP 3071R Turbo Kit
$ 90 Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
$ 600 HKS 272 Cam Set
$ 300 650cc FIC Injectors
$ 250 Cam Gears (Pick Em)
$ 225 AMS Lower IC Pipe
$ 100 ARP Studs
$1000 Vishnu Xede w/Xedeflash
$ 0 Lose the mbc

The installation/tuning costs for the above will run your total above $5k, but you'll need that to go to a larger turbo and get the most out of it (i.e. justify the expense). But if you can afford to save/spend a little more, you will be rewarded with a bulletproof setup that will deliver 420whp on a Dynojet with proper tuning, and drive better than a stocker when piddling around town.

If not, you can substitute the 10.5t turbo, which would run you around $900 instead of the $2400 3071R from ATP. This will save you $1500 in parts cost, which should keep the total with installation/tuning right around your $5k limit. This setup will yield around 350whp on a Dynojet, and runs strong enough to break many, many hearts (e.g. low, low 12s).

In any case, both of these turbos fit just like the factory one, so installation is clean and simple. You don't need any other gimmicks and gadgets, just a competent installation and tuning. You already have the other supporting mods. These components are what you need to either get the most out of a 10.5t, or make a decent platform to justify the cost of the ATP 3071R.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Ted B; Oct 26, 2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

your gonna need as much as you can get cause that 350z is one bad ****

and i knew about that before you told us you were the guy with the evo...
Old Oct 26, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

If you end up going with a Bucshur kit, do not get the 500 or 580 unless you want a straight drag car, both those turbos are very laggy, go with the 440 good power, quick spool. Dont build your motor unless you blow it up, the stock motor can handle a pretty deicent amount of power as pruven...good luck..
Old Oct 27, 2004, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by statix
If you end up going with a Bucshur kit, do not get the 500 or 580 unless you want a straight drag car, both those turbos are very laggy, go with the 440 good power, quick spool. Dont build your motor unless you blow it up, the stock motor can handle a pretty deicent amount of power as pruven...good luck..

Have you driven a EVO with a BR500 or BR580?
Old Oct 27, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with alot of what is being said above, make sure all the supporting mods are finished first then I would stick with either AMS or Turbo Trix. The TT kit is a smaller trim than the AMS kit, spools faster and puts out real similar #'s. The AMS kit is going to really shine @ 30psi and up. To do that though you need to upgrade internals as high 20's psi maybe 30 at the max is all you can do on stock internals before stuff goes BOOM. AEM, cams, bigger FMIC, injectors,Walboro 255, then turbo kit. Make sure you do those injectors if you go bigger turbo, you do not want to run at 100% duty cycle, one little hiccup and bad things can happen. Just my .02

Shane

Quick Reply: best turbo kit