Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Have you removed the clutch restrictor?
Yes
36.26%
No
63.74%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Restrictor Removal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2004 | 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

i put the ss line in tonight and it feels much better, so i will get use to it, then i will take the restrictor out later. i'm a good driver when it comes to clutches, thats all i have ever had, but my EVO is the first AWD that i've owned. still want more tips if people have it. dont want to mess my car up!!
Old Oct 28, 2004 | 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

I had a SS line in with the restrictor, and now without. With the restrictor and the SS line, shifts were still slow because engagement and disengagement delay. The SS line helped a little, but removing the restrictor made the biggest difference. I did have to readjust my clutch pedal after removing the restrictor, so that probably contributed to the improved shift quality on my car.
Old Oct 29, 2004 | 04:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Has anyone reinstalled the restrictor after pulling it? It's part of the slave isn't it, so I guess it wouldn't be too expensive to just put in a new slave if you changed your mind.
Old Oct 29, 2004 | 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

The clutch restrictor should be included when you buy a new slave cylinder. It was on my GSX. Why would you want to reinstall it? Has anyone tried boring one out before? That might be a good compromise for people who want quicker release, but some restriction.
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 05:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by marksae
The clutch restrictor should be included when you buy a new slave cylinder. It was on my GSX. Why would you want to reinstall it?
I definitely don't want it for the stock clutch and street driving, but if I were to ever get a heavy duty clutch (like an Exedy twin) and get into 1/4 mile racing, I'd like to have my tranny safety device reinstalled
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

I have not removed it, basically because my tuner (Dyno4mance) advised against it. Now, that said, I bought the car used and it has a braided stainless clutch line and the previous guy could have removed it...but I think it's still there. the clutch is a little "floaty" if that makes any sense. I do not have the "positive engagement feel" that people talk about who have removed the restrictor.
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I definitely don't want it for the stock clutch and street driving, but if I were to ever get a heavy duty clutch (like an Exedy twin) and get into 1/4 mile racing, I'd like to have my tranny safety device reinstalled
As a compromise between having a restrictor and not having one, you could probably bore out the restrictor and put it back in. That's what ACT recommends.
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

I thought about it when I did the clutch. I said no only because of the damage it could do to the tranny. I'm not the best driver so I said leave it in.
Old Oct 31, 2004 | 08:25 AM

i just got my evo 2 weeks ago, i had a audi 4wd with a inline 5 turbo in europe, I never heard of anything like a clutch restrictor till i got to this thread. my audi shifted so much better and the clutch was 10 times better. tride to lounch the evo and it sucked plus the clutch stunck. It was 3k rpm lounch withvery litle slipping but when i got off the clutch it felt like it still slipped. that is what made me look for answers.

pls tell me how to remove the restrictor. I am new to mitsubishi but I done 2 honda swaps 10 tranny installs and a lsd install. So I think I can handle it

ths

excuse my English but I am Romanian I am in the Us temporary
Old Oct 31, 2004 | 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Restrictor removal how-to:

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...=3_4&tech_id=4
Old Nov 1, 2004 | 07:26 AM

Ths for the link I will do it next weekend when I get the braided clutch line too.
Old Nov 4, 2004 | 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

i took mine out, and at the same time added a stainless line. the clutch feels totally different, not as vauge anymore, if your not a stupid *** droppin the clutch take the restrictor out.
Old Nov 8, 2004 | 08:08 AM

Thumbs up

Friday around 5 pm started on taking the restrictor out and replaceing the line with a braided one. all went ok till i got to the point of threading the bajo bolt on the master cylinder. it took 45 min of taking turns with a friend to get it donne.

Clutch is a lot better dose not smell as bad when I do my 3-4k litle slip lounch.

peddal has inproved in feeling

and shifting is better.

Ths for the help guys, the directions wore grate

Old Nov 8, 2004 | 09:04 AM
Account Disabled

it would be more interesting to see how many people who've removed the restrictor broke their transfer case.

I would like to know that.
Old Nov 8, 2004 | 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

yes.

because i did not want increased wear on my new clutch
cusco twin plate. i burnt the stock clutch pretty fast because i was slipping alot while the restrictor was slipping for me.

Quick Reply: Clutch Restrictor Removal