Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Impressions on the EVO6.5 RS T.M.E Titanium shaft turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone tryed using the garrett turbo that is used on the mr fq400 or does anyone even have any info on that turbo
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Mods are in, dyno sheet posted here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=111466

I'm loving this setup, the car flies now.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Even better news. Wife and I had to trade cars yesterday, so I of course asked her what she thought. She couldn't even tell the difference between old setup and now! This car still drives almost completely stock (maybe a little louder) but has plenty more power when it's needed.

I highly recommend this mod path.

Sam
Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have FP's TME turbo and I love better, qiucker spool w/ more top end and more torque because of the bigger 10.5 hotside!
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Hi guys...

My problem is that my boost doesnt hold and after consulting with some people we assumed the internal wastegate was weak(as some stock 03s are). So my friend said he would sell me his 6.5 TME exhaust housing for 150. Is it a good deal? I don't know how much they go for. Also is it the 10.5t? He said it was the bigger one so I assume so. Also anyone know if getting this 6.5 TME would be a better path than getting a new 05 evo one?

This is sorta OT but not, but TIA for any replies !
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that if you are getting just the 6.5TME exhaust housing then you essentially will end up with the same turbo as on the 05s.

Im sure Malibu Jack or someone would be able to verify or correct this..

Edit: You're in Illinois? Don't buy it! It will blow your car up! Can I have your friend's contact info?

Last edited by the-moss; Dec 13, 2004 at 12:36 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the-moss
I think that if you are getting just the 6.5TME exhaust housing then you essentially will end up with the same turbo as on the 05s.

Im sure Malibu Jack or someone would be able to verify or correct this..

Edit: You're in Illinois? Don't buy it! It will blow your car up! Can I have your friend's contact info?
Agree completely. Maybe slightly quicker spool and slighly more responsive between shifts though.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
just adding the 10.5 housing will give you some decent gains, however there's now pretty good evidence that the new compressor cover is slightly different than the earlier turbo.. What gains that portion offers is still speculation though.. the BEST combination that offers gains, plus the same, or better than stock spool, would be the TME Titanium cartridge, a 10.5 exhaust housing (Old or new style) and an 05 compressor cover..

What is different about the new 10.5 housing.. Well, it has a revised wastegate flapper.. What good is it? Well, if it flows better, and is less prone to turbulence, it can offer some gains over the earlier 10.5 housing in two areas, less turbulence would allow the exhaust to exit the O2 housing a little better, and the revised wastegate opening may flow a little more volume, and therefore there's a possibility it can help issues where exhaust volume exceeds the wastegates capacity (boost creep)

Boost taper is an interesting dilemma, as far as I can figure, theres several reasons that this can happen, from a weak Diverter Valve, boost leak, compressor capacity, or a misadjusted wastegate actuator (insufficient preload to keep it closed against the exhaust flow)

I hope this clarifies a few things.. most of the info is based on research and currently available information that I have at the moment so things can change..
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

By old or new style are we saying that an 05 turbo with a titanium cartridge would be best?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the responses guys I appreciate it

So i've had this boost taper problem for ... the whole time i've had my car and I'm just starting to take care of it. Anywho when I had my boost controller in, I would still taper to 1.1 Bar @ redline but do this wierdly...It would taper to 1.3 bar by ~6k rpms and drop immediately to 1.1 bar from 6000-6500 RPM. This was during the summer and I would hit 1.4~ bar usually. I then took the boost controller out as I figured it wasnt doing anything and for a while It was hitting ~1.3-1.4 bar and tapering the exact same way.

Its only recently as it's winter that i've been hitting 1.5bar(i figure from cold air) and then tapering to 1.2 already around 5k RPMS and steadilty to about...1.0/1.1 bar at redline. This is without a boost controller so...yeah.

So is the new actuator design much better than the old ones? my main question would be...would I notice it...or perhaps regret the choice later on? I know this is kinda subjective...but the old design isnt necessarily bad correct? The TME actuator use the old 2 small hole thing too right, instead of one big circle with something dividing the middle like the new ones?

MalibuJack - You said that it could be from a misadjusted wastegate actuator...is there any way to adjust it correctly...easily at least?
I'm not really looking for gains...I only want the car to hold boost which is something I feel that the turbo should be doing.

Actually...my situation right now might be from a boost leak as it's acting differently than when I know i did not have a boost leak. But that could just be from the downpipe...or the fact that I have been hitting fuel cut...or something...maybe. Dunno lol..so confusing.

Thanks for your responses and patience. moss if I don't buy it then I'll pm the info to you Just save my SN and pm me if I forget...but I don't think I will.

Edit: Maybe i should go into my dealer and be like "After testing with an aftermarket boost controller and my aftermarket boost gauge I have found that I am not holding boost and I demand that you replace my the BOV/wastegate/ anything until I can hold 19 psi to redline"
Tho that does sound sorta reasonable(at least in my mind)...car not performing up to par...but then again how do I tell them that so they fix it ;P

Last edited by vicbdn; Dec 13, 2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vicbdn
Edit: Maybe i should go into my dealer and be like "After testing with an aftermarket boost controller and my aftermarket boost gauge I have found that I am not holding boost and I demand that you replace my the BOV/wastegate/ anything until I can hold 19 psi to redline"
Tho that does sound sorta reasonable(at least in my mind)...car not performing up to par...but then again how do I tell them that so they fix it ;P
This is a hard one, since you know that they are going to claim boost controller etc caused the problem.

In stock form the car shouldn't hold 19psi to redline, it should taper it to 16ish psi by redline. The reason for this is that the turbo has to work harder to flow more air to sustain a given boost pressure as the engine rpms increase. So to keep the turbo running efficiently they taper the boost in the higher RPMs to keep the turbo spinning at the same rate (this is an estimate) at redline as in the mid-range.