Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Impressions on the EVO6.5 RS T.M.E Titanium shaft turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions on the EVO6.5 RS T.M.E Titanium shaft turbocharger?

Okay, I freed up some money to play with my Evo. I ordered the Stage one kit with the signature exhaust from Vishnu, I have some 264/272 cams on the way, and now I'm looking at this turbo:

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/m...ode=Lancer_EVO

Who else is using it, is it all that much of an improvement over stock, and what else should I be looking at instead?

My goal here is for a daily driver that can still put the power down when needed, a car that my wife won't hate to drive (like my old RX7, Mustangs, and Vettes) Basically, that's the benchmark, she loves this car the best of all the ones I've owned and I don't want driveability to suffer all that much.

Thanks,
Sam
Old Nov 1, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Wow look how pretty it's map looks.

It's not even close ot efficient at 1.4 levels!!!!

Old Nov 1, 2004, 01:48 PM

And that means?
Old Nov 1, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

You know how to read that?!? I even called them and they guy there couldn't explain that graph to me, enlighten us please, or give me an alternative.

Thanks,
Sam
Old Nov 1, 2004, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Heck, I'm not all that good at reading these maps either, but I think it means that it seems to be the most efficient at 1.5 to 2.0 bar..
Old Nov 1, 2004, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Please talk to the guys at Forced Performance before you buy the turbo..

Although their site says its a 6.5 TME turbo, its likely a TD05HRA-16G6-10.5t, this model turbocharger has a different compressor wheel than a true TME turbo... You need them to clarify if the compressor wheel is the 16G6 or the TME (Forget the specs of the wheel)
A true TME 6.5 Ti turbo (OEM) is can go for as much as $2000...

The good news is the combo seems to work VERRRY well.. (I have the same hybrid turbo)

Also, do a search, Myself and quite a few others, have written extensively on these turbos.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

From my understanding its at its most efficient during the inner most circle. Meaning from 1.5-2.0 bar the turbo is at its peak! I forget how to read the RPM vs the boost and etc.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to read the map you take the desired boost level lets say 21psi. add one atmospheric pressure to it which is 14.7 and then divide the number by one atmospheric pressure which gives you a pressure ratio of 2.42 which is on the left axis. Now since I can't read the graph on the bottom to tell what type of metric system they are using it is hard to read this map. Usually they are read in lbs per minute of airflow. But in this case it is something different..
Old Nov 1, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Malibu, I appreciate your input but I can't find any of the write-ups you're talking about. Using the search terms TME I get scads of results, none of them all that useful. I did a search of your posts too, didn't see what you were talking about. It's good to hear that it's a potent combo, how is your driveability?

Thanks,
Sam
Old Nov 1, 2004, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, just got off the phone with the guy at FP. He says that this is more or less a stock turbo with a titanium shaft, and the 10.5 housing. As far as he's aware there is no other compressor wheel available, just the stock one and the titanium one. We're getting over my head at this point, does this make any sense to you?

Thanks,
Sam
Old Nov 1, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

there's 2 types of TME turbo .. there's the TD05HRA-16G-10.5T for the RS and there's the TD05-15GK2-10.5T for the TMME GSR (difference is in the size of the compressor like what MJ said) .. 15GK2 has a 65mm wheel compared to the 16G (68mm)

I believe the compressor chart is in kg/s so you need to convert to CFM before the numbers makes sense ..

the efficiency plateau is not even close to an older T series turbo from garret / turbonetics .. their highest plateau is like 74% vs a T series 76% efficiency or a GT series at 77-78%

The flow runs out at around 530-550CFM .. meaning even with a conservative 80%VE .. you're hard pressed to make power above 1.3bar at 7000rpms .. (way outside efficiency table)
Old Nov 1, 2004, 03:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More interesting still...
Old Nov 1, 2004, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EvoSam
Malibu, I appreciate your input but I can't find any of the write-ups you're talking about. Using the search terms TME I get scads of results, none of them all that useful. I did a search of your posts too, didn't see what you were talking about. It's good to hear that it's a potent combo, how is your driveability?

Thanks,
Sam
Search for TD05HRA or TD05HR the HRA represents the Titanium turbine r and shaft, reverse rotation, where the HR is the Iconnel one also reverse rotation.. 16G6 represents the compressor wheel, and the 10.5 represents the Turbine housing size, and the t on the end actually stands for twin scroll (I think)

There are several variants of the Evo turbo..

TD05HR-16G6-9.8t (stock Evo-8 and evo7 GSR)
TD05HR-16G6-10.5t
TD05HRA-16G6-9.8t (Evo 7 RS or RS2)
TD05HRA-16G6-10.5t
and finally..
TD05HRA-15GK2-10.5t (the True Evo 6.5 TME Turbo)

I actually think there's a TD05HR-16G6-9.0t which was used on the EVO VII GTA (Automatic)

Anyway, the TD05HRA-16G6-10.5t is more or less a hybrid, I don't know if it was actually ever offered on a production Evo, but I do think it might have been used one year..

So far the best combination I've seen is the TD05HRA-16G6-9.8t with the 10.5t hot side housing swapped on.. I paid $200 for the housing, and about $400 for the turbo..

The combination I will be running in my car is that turbo, with a Stainless manifold, and DNP O2 housing.. Though its really not necessary.. Also this will be going on a 2.3 stroker engine and I'm building the car for driving and making torque, not dyno numbers.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Anyway, the TD05HRA-16G6-10.5t is more or less a hybrid, I don't know if it was actually ever offered on a production Evo, but I do think it might have been used one year..
Yes it was offered on the TME Evo 6 RS as previous posts have stated...It is not a hybrid and carries a bonefied Mitubishi part #
These cars were sold for motorsport use only...no Brembos, steel 15" wheels, stock cedia seats etc....
As gunzo said the TME GSR had the smaller compressor wheel at only 65mm, this was an early attempt by Mitsubishi to make the Evo 6 TME GSR more flexible for street use.....later the development favored a smaller exhaust housing and cheaper inconel cartridge and lighter valve train to aid street flexibiliy..
My2c

Last edited by Dyno4mance; Nov 1, 2004 at 05:03 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, now you guys are way beyond me. I'm just looking for someone who's running this turbo, and their thoughts on it. What the internals of the turbo actually are are probably negligable in my application no? I mean, compared to what it might be and what it actually is we're only talking a few horses right? Or is it a dramatic, don't waste your money on this piece or crap, turbo?

Thanks all for your input, I appreciate it and am indeed learning from it.
Sam

Quick Reply: Impressions on the EVO6.5 RS T.M.E Titanium shaft turbocharger?