Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: poll: which clutch manufacturer do you recommend?
Act
39.04%
Action
0%
Ats
3.78%
Clutchmasters
2.27%
Cusco
4.03%
Exedy
30.23%
Hks
2.77%
Oem
1.26%
Orc
0.76%
Power Enterprise
0%
Ralliart
1.26%
Rmr
0.50%
Rps
5.79%
Spec
0.50%
Tilton
6.05%
Works
1.76%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

poll: which clutch manufacturer do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPS makes very good clutches for a pretty reasonable price they are very good about keeping driveability up on their products meaning that by using one of these clutches would keep the car very driveable daily my vote goes to RPS
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

i have the ACT setup on my car. Still in the break in process. I Like it. It clamps nice, havent took it for hard runs yet, but i bet it can handle it
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Their weight has just as much to do with it as a light flywheel...
I understand that but that doesnt do anything for spool-up.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Their weight has just as much to do with it as a light flywheel...
And I quote (compliments of Taboo from DSMTALK.com (Taboo Speed Shop)

"As for the faster spool-up, turbos are spooled by exhaust energy that is not dependent on the RPM of the engine. Faster reving engine will not necessarily make the turbo spool up faster too. On the contrary, the less air-fuel mixture is needed to bring the engine to certain RPM, the less exhaust energy is produced in the process. If lighter flywheel and less engine load produced more exhaust energy resulting in faster turbo spool-up, rally cars wouldn't need anti-lag systems and the turbo would spool-up faster at part-open throttle than at WOT and full load. The reason why smaller turbos spool up faster than bigger turbos is because they require less exhaust energy to spool. If the amount of exhaust energey is reduced even further as result of less engine load - in form of part-open throttle or lightened flywheel, the turbo spool-up is going to be even slower.
However, lightened flywheel has a similar effect as weight reduction, aluminum driveshaft or lighter wheels due to less rotational mass, although the frictional losses of the drivetrain are still present and remain unchanged. Since the engine doesn't accelerate only the flywheel, but also the clutch, tranny, transfer case, driveshaft, rear differential, axles, brake discs, wheels - and the entire 3200 lbs mass of the car (in case of AWD DSM), the effect of the lightened flywheel might possibly translate to 100 lbs weight reduction. Can anyone tell that engine of 3100 lbs car revs faster than engine of 3200 lbs car once in gear? No. Otherwise one could also say that 1G FWD Turbo Laser revs the fastest - or faster than 1G AWD Eclipse because it's much lighter. Or are there any wizards able to tell apart a car with the stock flywheel from a car with the Fidanza, FWD from AWD or 12-second car form 13-second car just from listening to audio files? "
Old Nov 22, 2004, 09:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ACT feels so much more solid at high speed than stock. It almost feels like it's squeezing out more power from the engine. It's less sluggish.

The clutch feel is the same, shifter is more solid and the engagment is immediate.

I'm afraid to launch with this thing though, when it engages, it feels like it's load on the tranny and you could feel it more than the stock.

Anyone launched with ACT yet? I know the Cusco and Exedy single, you could drop and doubles, you slip.

details
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

I actually think i am going to go ACT, but im in the process of trying to decide if i wanna tackle this job myself or pay someone to do it
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:25 AM

try ATS twin carbon+flywheel 1100kgf very nice. can use for street or drag. you can slip not like metal plate clucth. I have try in my evo8. price $1800.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vtluu
Road Race Engineering's "No-Name" clutch also seems interesting: http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/nonameclutch.htm

My clutch has started slipping and now I'm trying to decide between the RRE clutch and the WORKS CK2... Installation is going to cost $$$ so I figure if I can spend a few more bucks for something that'll last longer, I might as well.
I second that motion, the RRE "No-Name" sounds like a great way to not get screwed by your dealer! I already have been once, so I think that will be my clutch of choice when the time comes.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
I actually think i am going to go ACT, but im in the process of trying to decide if i wanna tackle this job myself or pay someone to do it
me2 - how hard could it be to change a clutch ?
Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Nov 28, 2004, 04:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
me2 - how hard could it be to change a clutch ?
Unless you have a Lift at your disposal my recommendation would be to pay someone to do it.I make a living as a Technician at a dealership and not that replacing my clutch was hard,but you need alot of room under car to get trans at the correct angle to remove and reinstall(without dropping subframe),other than that it's just nuts and bolts
Old Nov 30, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

I'm taking my Exedy HYper Single vote back, its already starting to slip
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboDan
Unless you have a Lift at your disposal my recommendation would be to pay someone to do it.I make a living as a Technician at a dealership and not that replacing my clutch was hard,but you need alot of room under car to get trans at the correct angle to remove and reinstall(without dropping subframe),other than that it's just nuts and bolts
hmm, have to think about that
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by number 8
I'm taking my Exedy HYper Single vote back, its already starting to slip
How long have you had your Exedy(time and miles)? Do/Did you have any strange noises during de-acceleration/coasting? Mine makes a lot of noise, but it is still strong after 5k miles.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Evo spooling. Had the Exedy Hyper Single in the summer maybe 3000 miles(not sure). I do get those deceleration noises (coasting,down shifting from 4th). Also, some clunking noises when in reverse, but that seems to have stopped. Those deceleration noises are normal with the exedy Hyper series, and overall have really liked the clutch. But I recently got a custom Dynoflash tune, and I think the torque started to overpower the clutch. I'm taking it to the shop that installed it, hoping maybe its just a throw out bearing or something.

Quick Reply: poll: which clutch manufacturer do you recommend?