Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer case

Ok, i really want to mod my car but i am affraid of breaking my TC. What are the main causes for breaking the TC that everyone has gone through? Is it dumping the clutch? Will slipping it cause it? I also want to get an aftermerket clutch when mine goes but i was talking to the factory rep last week and he told me an aftermarket clutch for sure will make my TC go!!Also how strong is the tranny and gears on the EVO? So far ive never heard anyone breaking the gears, are they strong as people claim that they are? Gears was an issue with the WRX, thats why i got rid of it b/c they cant handle the power and theres a lot of people that are my friends that have blown the gears and the whole tranny! I wonder if i should have waited for an 05 GSR instead of getting an 03 GSR. Is it true that the LSD on the 05's will prevent the TC from blowing? Did i make a mistake and not get the 05 GSR? I would really like the info before i mod my EVO. Im not worried so much about the clutch but the TC i am
Old Nov 2, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's pretty much the same deal that you have with the 'glass tranny' in the WRX.

Dump the clutch or otherwise improperly launch the car and the transfer case can go south, just like the tranny is known to do in the WRX.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Ok, i really want to mod my car but i am affraid of breaking my TC. What are the main causes for breaking the TC that everyone has gone through? Is it dumping the clutch? Will slipping it cause it? I also want to get an aftermerket clutch when mine goes but i was talking to the factory rep last week and he told me an aftermarket clutch for sure will make my TC go!!Also how strong is the tranny and gears on the EVO? So far ive never heard anyone breaking the gears, are they strong as people claim that they are? Gears was an issue with the WRX, thats why i got rid of it b/c they cant handle the power and theres a lot of people that are my friends that have blown the gears and the whole tranny! I wonder if i should have waited for an 05 GSR instead of getting an 03 GSR. Is it true that the LSD on the 05's will prevent the TC from blowing? Did i make a mistake and not get the 05 GSR? I would really like the info before i mod my EVO. Im not worried so much about the clutch but the TC i am
I broke mine t-case and IMO it was because of wheel hoop , befor that it had like 50-60 some runs on it .....( wheel hoop is bad . ummK )
Old Nov 2, 2004, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

wheel hoppin?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

2 of mine blew. Car was never repeat never launched
Old Nov 2, 2004, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds to me like sheer luck of the draw.
The tranny as far as i know is very strong. It's just the TC you have to worry about.

I'm just over 40k miles on stock complete tranny including clutch. Never with a single problem. Not to mention I'm modded to some est. 350-360+ WHP since 1200 miles.

Last edited by SilverEvo8owner; Nov 3, 2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

You probably already know this but..........an aftermarket clutch will void your warranty as far as the transfer case is concerned.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

26k miles, not a problem. Most broken tranny in wrx or broken TC issues found in EVOs are often caused by drivers improper usage than anything else.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

sold my 03 on the 3rd transfer-case.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

I am doing the same thing. If mine goes again it is out of here. Bulocal why would it void the warranty on the TC. what good is your sig then. I have ACT by the way
Old Nov 3, 2004, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

If you're worried about the TC you should see about sending it out to Team Rip Engineering (http://www.teamrip.com). If you don't mind the price, they should be able to bolster it up to handle alot higher hp.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

TT is the only place I will ever send my car to get worked on. Don't forget they are a fully tranny shop
Old Nov 3, 2004, 07:39 AM

tou sould check out Team Rip Engineering (http://www.teamrip.com). Might costa ya more but no dought worth the price.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 07:45 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

One theory is that the weak point in the TC is the open diff.

This has been suggested as a good solution.
Check out the FAQ link. It has info on busted TCs.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evoquaifegb.htm

Last edited by JTB; Nov 3, 2004 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old Nov 3, 2004, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Are there upgrade internals available for the transmission. I didn't think any were out yet.

Shane

Quick Reply: Transfer case